Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 7:23:50 PM EDT
Yesterday's AZ Republic had a story about a Palestinian kid who was shot in the chest and brought to Phoenix to get the bullet pulled out.  He told this story about seeing an Israeli soldier dial him in with an M16 and pop him.  I thought, "A .223 to the chest?  On a kid?  And he's walking and talking?  You gotta be kidding."  In the story there's a discussion about how the M16 bullet is only a little bigger than a .22 slug.  Then they show a pic of the pulled bullet and it *is* a .22 slug.  As in .22LR.

Someone must've gotten the kid with one of those suppressed 10/22's I've heard of being used over there.  A far cry from a chest shot with an M16.

Just another example of how any time the press writes a story, and especially a firearms-related story, they get it el wrongo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Which "Phoenix" did they fly him to?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Phoenix, ARIZONA.  Where the Arizona Republic is printed.

Is there another Phoenix I am not familiar with?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Phoenix, ARIZONA.  Where the Arizona Republic is printed.

Is there another Phoenix I am not familiar with?

I think he also was thinking that that was a long trip. No closer hospitals?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
the ss109 armor piercers are not effective on soft targets.

there have been stories of US forces in Afghanistan shooting bad guys with AP 1-6 times (torso shots) and these guys hop back up and they must be shot again and again sometimes in the head!

if you are extremely lucky you can take a center mass hit from a rife like the .223 and live because it misses all the important stuff and on occasion the bullet does not tumble or breakup inside a body.

the lessen here is to stay plugged into the fight and don't quit just because the hostile has gone down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
OK guys, just to clarify.

The kid was up and about when he was still over there.  He was just screwed up and limited physically and in pain because he had a bullet in him.

It required some specialized surgery to fix.  Hence, stateside.  Phoenix.

It was *not* an SS109 projectile unless SS109 looks just like a 40-grain round-nose lead .22LR projectile.  Which it doesn't.

Good night, gents.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
How is it that if I get hurt I have to sit in a waiting room with 5000 illegals and this freak gets hit halfway around the world and gets flown here to have surgery??
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How is it that if I get hurt I have to sit in a waiting room with 5000 illegals and this freak gets hit halfway around the world and gets flown here to have surgery??

Because his life is more important than yours.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because his life is more important than yours.

OH you suck!! That hurt, but true
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]
This could have been a 22 LR bullet. But just because you are shot in the chest with a 5.56mm doesn't mean you are dead! Thousands of people have been shot with 5.56 and lived, some with multiple hits. The 5.56 is a decent little round for it's size but it is a long way from being a wonderful stopper. Nothing this side of a .50 BMG would impress some folks!LOL! I bet that if you look hard, you could find a few people who have even took a hit from a .50 and lived to tell about it. No bullet can work magic, but some are better than others and I have no problem with the 5.56mm for my use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Who paid for the surgery?
Don't get me wrong, I love kids.  
I just think that we are too busy mowing other peoples lawns, instead of our own.

"Your life is worth less"   Sad commentary.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
They probably forgot to mention that he was shooting at momma's and babies with an AK-47.
Or throwing Moltov coctails @ preschoolers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#12]
EXARCTLY! send that frickin bill to Arafat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully, he will recover fully and will be able to return to action ASAP
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe we are missing the point here.

The good DR. probably installed a microchip in him to track his terrorist movements. LOL...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Full Metal Jacket does not do the damage of a soft point or hollow point.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolfpack.....you must be an American Citizen who doesn't cheat on his taxes and pays them on time... we always take care of everyone else before our own...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to see the kid is okay....but I doubt seriously that anyone who got a chest shot from a M16 and still survive. Look like to me that the Israelis modified their rifle with some type of 22lr conversion to shoot non-lethal round?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
There's another thread on this site regarding the same kid, and it turns out that the Israelis are using Ruger 10-22s, to knock off riot leaders w/o hurting people behind them.  The other thread had photos of the bullet removed, definatlly 22 LR, and pics of Israeli sniper teams armed w/the weapons, which appear to be silenced.  Can't figure out which heading the other thread is on or I'd refer y'all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe he got shot by this Israeli with the suppressed 10/22
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This could have been a 22 LR bullet. But just because you are shot in the chest with a 5.56mm doesn't mean you are dead! Thousands of people have been shot with 5.56 and lived, some with multiple hits. The 5.56 is a decent little round for it's size but it is a long way from being a wonderful stopper. Nothing this side of a .50 BMG would impress some folks!LOL! I bet that if you look hard, you could find a few people who have even took a hit from a .50 and lived to tell about it. No bullet can work magic, but some are better than others and I have no problem with the 5.56mm for my use.

I read once of a guy who was shot with a 12-ga slug and was still active for a couple of minutes. Strange!

This sounds pretty strange. Why did they fly him halfway around the world? Aren't there prefectly good hospitals in the middle east? It is just a .22LR, after all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
If you search the history of the m16(5.56mm/.223 rem) you will find that this bullet WAS NOT designed to kill, only maim! One wounded soldier will slow down the group because of having to carry his equipment, body, or leave behind soldiers to take care of him than one dead soldier which is simply left behind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top