Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 5:59:24 PM EDT
Democratic Underground does it again. Check out the article www.democraticunderground.com/articles/02/02/28_guns.html  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
From the article

"Don't just call them a disarmed populace, call it a safer society. We need to face facts, guns are out of control in places like L.A. and New York. It doesn't have to be this way."

I thought New York and L.A. already had fairly restrictive gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
"Check your Brain at the Door," D U's new motto.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What a dumbshit.  As usual, a bunch of stupid "ideas."

Sure, all the crooks are gonna check their guns at the city border.  Sure they are.

Also repeating the traditional leftist bleating about "bazookas," "M16s," "automatic weapons," etc. etc.  I am surprised someone as dumb as this guy actually got into law school.  Oh wait, I guess I am not really *that* surprised.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It aint new. It's not improved. It sounds like SHI&, looks like SHI& and it is.  Alla teh more reason to Thump a democrat
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
How about all of us Ar-15ers go on there precious stupid message board and dump it with pro gun comments wouldn't that be funny we could even talk about new mods too are AR's turn it into a home away from home heres the site if you want to be discusted.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/cgi-bin/duforum/duboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID38&conf=DCConfID1
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The best format of rebutal would be to show their own class oppression.  They want to prevent poor urban dwellers from owning weapons, while the wealthier rural folks can keep "some" of their guns.  Like much of the drivel peddled by the anti crowd, it is loaded with racism and hypocrisy.

It really isn't worth my time or blood pressure to try to convince hardcore anti-American communists that they are wrong, but y'all can knowck yourselves out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually AM a registered member on DU. I've openly stated my heritage (Republican, now Libertarian) and I've found that I've had no trouble there and nobody's given me any shit. Quite the contrary, I've found that there are a LOT of pro-gun Democrats hanging out there. Quite a few of them would be very much at home here.

There is a significant division within the Democratic party on guns.  Just as there is in the Republican party, actually.

As a result, I don't assume that a Democrat is necessarily anti-gun, and I don't assume that a Republican is necessarily pro-gun.    

There are untold thousands of Democrats out there who inherited their grandfather's guns and have been shooting since they could stand.  Particularly in the South, in rural areas.  They may vote for anybody who says he's a democrat, but only until the candidate says he hates guns and wants to ban them.  

CJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
And then there are the shooters, regardless of politics who say "Yeah, but why do you have to have a (insert favorite semi auto with evil look here), just shoot shotguns like me".  Or handguns, or hunting rifles.....or whatever.  Come on people, hang together or we'll all hang separately!  Sorry...preaching to the choir again.  My buddy who doesn't know anything about AR's but likes his SKS and was scoffing at my rifle..he always rolls his eyes when I start talking about anti gun politics, until I informed him for a start about "Cop Killer" bullets.  When he realized all his hunting guns and his SKS shot "Cop Killer" bullets, he started to see the light....slowly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
"We don't need guns when there are telephones every sixty feet and cops two minutes away."

When was the last time a cop was two minutes away?  It takes that long for someone to pick up the phone at 911.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
From the article

"Don't just call them a disarmed populace, call it a safer society. We need to face facts, guns are out of control in places like L.A. and New York. It doesn't have to be this way."

I thought New York and L.A. already had fairly restrictive gun laws.

New York city banned all forms of fire arms ownership for most people years ago, you can keep a gun in NYC but it is a very restrictive process. LA same thing as far as handguns go. If you read this article, you will see that every thing the writer suggests has been in place for years with no affect. Machine guns are illegal, and the carrying of a concealed weapon is tightly regulated in almost every state if it is allowed at all. I can't figure out what this joker is suggesting be done that isn't in place already.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My buddy who doesn't know anything about AR's but likes his SKS and was scoffing at my rifle..he always rolls his eyes when I start talking about anti gun politics, until I informed him for a start about "Cop Killer" bullets.  When he realized all his hunting guns and his SKS shot "Cop Killer" bullets, he started to see the light....slowly.

Sounds like your buddy isn't exactly the sharpest tack in the box.

Someone with a 100 dollar rifle, made of cheap parts and cheap stampings and cheap wood, scoffing at a 900 (or more) dollar rifle that's built with only high quality parts, beautifully machined, and will shoot rings around an SKS and is customizable as hell, is someone who just doesn't GET IT.

Let him shoot your AR for a while and he'll put his SKS up for sale to raise money for an AR soon enough.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]

I believe many of the ideas noted in the article are noble, but in practice, unmanageable.  Like Communism, it appears to be utopian in nature, but when somebody becomes greedy or doesn't pull their own weight, it ruins it for everybody else.  And, like many arguments presented, we shouldn't NEED guns for protection, we shouldn't NEED to worry about break-ins, but we don't live in the essence of perfection here.  Hence the reason for Law Enforcement.  I live in Seattle, Washington, and, if the police department is anything like the fire department, you may as well count yourself a sitting duck.  It literally takes 10min to get here and I am in visual distance of the station.

A friend of mine has an opposing view, he feels police protection is more than adequate.  Though, he has not lived like many urban dwellers have, growing up in a rich white bread section of town.  I don't want to call him an idiot for some of the arguments he presents, but the idea sure comes to mind over and over again.  

A gun is a gun and just because one looks "evil" doesn't mean it is any more lethal than the one before it.  Much like a lifted Chevy Suburban in downtown NYC, who is to say your ride is any less feasible than a Geo metro, excuse me, but aren't you the one to make that determination and not some bureaucrat.

My two cents
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
JU88,  This is not a flame, but machine guns are not llegal.  There are at least 35 states where it is still legal to own machine guns. In fact, you can own a legal machine gun in North Carolina.  Now, owning one is expensive, and the process of buying one is a pain, but it's still legal.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
check my guns at the door?  okay.  yep.  they're there!  i'm good to go, right??????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top