Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:42:20 PM EDT
Is it possible to build a Socom "forgery" from a standard M1A? The only difference I see is 1) shorter barrel length, and 2) forward-scope mounting position on the Socom. I assume I can have a gunsmith cut the barrel down, but are there OEM or after-market parts to replicate the forward scope mount?

The Socoms seem so outrageously priced in comparison to a standard M1A. Are there other differences I missed? I already have a couple M1As, and thought about chopping one up. Or, I may look at picking up a nice Polytech and chopping it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:04:38 PM EDT
I read several articles on the SOCOM. I noticed in each one the writers mentioned the modification of the gas system was necessary for shortening the rifles. It isn't quite the same as shortening a bolt action. IIRC the bolt velocity is changed substantially therefore requiring mods in gas ports and other things. I too would like a SOCOM but it too $$$$. I have seen some used M-14 clones in EE and Guns america reasonable. Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:12:31 PM EDT
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/1517/m1a0nh.jpg

That s my Bush. The top is with the stock walnut stock the bottom is with a synthetic USGI stock; with the bottom stock mounted my rifle measures 37.8" end to end. The SOCOM is 37.25" end to end.

I prefer the smaller LOP anyways so the stock was chopped a hair under 1.5 inches to produce the current setup. By removing that amount of material and the buttplate it moves the Bush into a much smaller range. If I wanted to I could also chop the compensator an inch to make it even shorter than the SOCOM.

Albeit it is still nowhere near the size of my other rifles. Heck the SOCOM is LONG compared to some of my other toys.
Top Top