Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 4:24:03 PM EDT
About half of my 20 round magazines (all purchased well used) do not reliably engage the bolt lock.  It looks like there's a bit of play between the follower and the front of the mag, but I'm not sure.  Is this kind of failure typical or should I be looking at getting a new bolt release?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Put some tape on your magazines and number them or note on the tape what sort of problems you're having with each one... pretty easy to be sure if it's the same magazines causing the failure to lock that way...

Magazine rebuild kits or a new bolt catch spring are cheap to get.  If it were me, I'd get some rebuild kits and a new catch spring and not worry...

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/8448670-20k.asp

www.fultonarmory.com/M16Tools.htm

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/individual_parts_for_lower_receivers.asp
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have the same trouble when I used Oly receivers.  They came with tight magazine wells and bolt catch recesses.  I had to open up the bolt catch recess with a dremil tool (fast) or mill bastard file (more precise).  

Try forcing some moly into the recess around the bolt catch.  Work it in vigorously, and then try your magazines again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top