Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:32 PM EDT

So, my father got in a couple of matching Albanian SKS's (one for him, one for me)...

Oh my $DIETY, what a pain in the ass to clean. Actually, cleaning it wasn't so bad (brake cleaner, acetone...and a lot of rubbing wood (and STOP THINKING THAT RIGHT NOW. ) )

It was re-assembly. I had to literally use a padded vise to get the trigger group locked in. Real pain in the butt.

Gotta say tho...for future use:

Get a couple of boresnakes...one for cleaning rifles, and one for cleaning cosmoline. I took one of the old boresnakes that I have and ran it (soaked with brake cleaner) exactily 3 times down the barrel. IT WAS SPOTLESS after that. I ran down 2 patches of Hoppes after that...not a thing. A couple of dry patches followed by one soaked in CLP finished the job.

Course, the boresnake was completly caked in the grease Had to hand-clean it between each run, but the 3rd run, it came out almost as good as it went in.

This was all after the rest was de-cosmolined, of course. Lots of q-tips and rags went into that. And brake cleaner.

Just a (somewhat) useful tip for those who use a lot of patches...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:55:11 AM EDT
Thanks for the cleaning tips!

So since you have now had a hands on with the Alnanian SKS. Is the only different about these is the Gas Tube Handguard is longer? Do these have chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:11:40 AM EDT
These rifle look like they were made by drunks. Machine marks everwhere.

Seems to shoot ok.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Thanks for the cleaning tips!

So since you have now had a hands on with the Alnanian SKS. Is the only different about these is the Gas Tube Handguard is longer? Do these have chrome lined barrels?

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:42:17 AM EDT
I just bought a few from AIM, we'll see how they look when they come in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:31:16 AM EDT
I got my Albanian SKS's in. The wood is in bad shape, but I ordered new stocks with the rifles. The metal on them looks decent, definately a good shooter grade rifle. I will tinker on the new wood stocks a bit, re-stain a couple of them in Black (maybe one in OD). I plan on sending the metal to a shop for refinishing. It looks to be a fun project.
Top Top