Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:32 PM EDT

So, my father got in a couple of matching Albanian SKS's (one for him, one for me)...

Oh my $DIETY, what a pain in the ass to clean. Actually, cleaning it wasn't so bad (brake cleaner, acetone...and a lot of rubbing wood (and STOP THINKING THAT RIGHT NOW. ) )

It was re-assembly. I had to literally use a padded vise to get the trigger group locked in. Real pain in the butt.

Gotta say tho...for future use:

Get a couple of boresnakes...one for cleaning rifles, and one for cleaning cosmoline. I took one of the old boresnakes that I have and ran it (soaked with brake cleaner) exactily 3 times down the barrel. IT WAS SPOTLESS after that. I ran down 2 patches of Hoppes after that...not a thing. A couple of dry patches followed by one soaked in CLP finished the job.

Course, the boresnake was completly caked in the grease Had to hand-clean it between each run, but the 3rd run, it came out almost as good as it went in.

This was all after the rest was de-cosmolined, of course. Lots of q-tips and rags went into that. And brake cleaner.

Just a (somewhat) useful tip for those who use a lot of patches...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the cleaning tips!

So since you have now had a hands on with the Alnanian SKS. Is the only different about these is the Gas Tube Handguard is longer? Do these have chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
These rifle look like they were made by drunks.  Machine marks everwhere.

Seems to shoot ok.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Thanks for the cleaning tips!

So since you have now had a hands on with the Alnanian SKS. Is the only different about these is the Gas Tube Handguard is longer? Do these have chrome lined barrels?

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a few from AIM, we'll see how they look when they come in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I got my Albanian SKS's in.  The wood is in bad shape, but I ordered new stocks with the rifles.  The metal on them looks decent, definately a good shooter grade rifle.  I will tinker on the new wood stocks a bit, re-stain a couple of them in Black (maybe one in OD).  I plan on sending the metal to a shop for refinishing.  It looks to be a fun project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top