Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 11:10:33 AM EDT
anyone have any experience with these?  there are two kinds listed on midways site (one by mccann and two by schuster).  this is going to go on a garand that i'm having a .308 barrel installed.

any advice would be appreciated.  thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a link?

I had one on a M1 "tanker" to prevent rim shear from the violent bolt opening while there was still some pressure on the brass, but since putting a 7.62mm NATO barrel on the lil critter the device hasn't been needed.

I'm not sure what "brand" this was, it was a series of hollow Allen screws with different size ports drilled in them.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the McCann.  Works as advertised.  It appears the Schuster version is infinately variable, but will require something like Red Locktite to keep its setting.

I started with the largest hole (maximum vent) and worked down until the rifle functioned properly.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
One reason for these gas bleeders is when firing non standard ammunition, especially heavy long range match bullets hand loaded.

As RAF notes they're not needed for a properly constructed rifle firing service ball ammunition.  Neither .30 or 7.62mm.

The Tanker was my hobby rifle for most of one season. Tweak, take to the range and see what happens. Repeat in a week or two when I could find some time to drive down the range. This rifle had an extremely tight, rough chamber and way too much gas pressure. The bleed screw at least let me shoot it without leaving a rimless case in the chamber.

Haven't needed it at all since Ron Smith put a 7.62mm bbl on it.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top