Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2013 8:03:32 PM EDT
What can i squeeze from a 1990's production 99 in 243?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Well 90's production, i can not tell you.

However i have a 1959 in 300 savage that shoots half inch groups while a 1969 model in 308, i have, will do 1 inch groups.

By a box from each manufacturer and find what it likes. With the breach lock up the way it is, the gun may not shoot as tight of groups as a bolt action.

It seems, at  least to me, that the guns with rotory mags shoot better then the detachable mag rifles.

Either way the savage 99 is fun to shoot and hunt with.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
My .243 is a 70's production "E".  It seems to prefer Rem SPs & will shoot less than an inch @ 100.

My experiance is that if the 99's bore is good, the rifle will shoot good. Regardless of claiber.
I have five in my safe, 2 300s, 1 308, 1 243, 1 303.

MLG
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a 2" gun at 100 yards with Hornady 165gr flat base Interlocks over RL-15
Mine has a little pitting in the barrel from an idiot relative leaving it in the safe for 30 years and never doing a rust inspection.

Early 1950's production Savage M99-R
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
This one I have here is 99C with a '79 patent date stamped on the side. From what I read, they made 99's in 243 in 1965 and then again in mid 90's. So I'm assuming it is a 95-97 production.

It's a solid rifle my dad found used. Whoever owned it left it in a foam case and gave it some surface rust on the end of the barrel but the bore cleaned up nice and the rest of the rifle is in good condition.

I'm not much of a lever action fan. Not sure what my dad saw in these rifles. It does not seem to have any advantage over a bolt action. It's more complicated, actions has less inherent accuracy and holds the same number of rounds. But then pop was also a big fan of his Remington pump he used to use on deer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one I have here is 99C with a '79 patent date stamped on the side. From what I read, they made 99's in 243 in 1965 and then again in mid 90's. So I'm assuming it is a 95-97 production.

It's a solid rifle my dad found used. Whoever owned it left it in a foam case and gave it some surface rust on the end of the barrel but the bore cleaned up nice and the rest of the rifle is in good condition.

I'm not much of a lever action fan. Not sure what my dad saw in these rifles. It does not seem to have any advantage over a bolt action. It's more complicated, actions has less inherent accuracy and holds the same number of rounds. But then pop was also a big fan of his Remington pump he used to use on deer.
View Quote

Your dad was a smart man.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no intention of trying to sway your feelings , you feel what you feel , but I would like to point out what many other guys feel about lever guns and 99s in particular . possibly your dad has similar feelings.

Yes the design of a lever gun generally means less inherent accuracy than a bolt gun but for a general hunting weapon that deficit in accuracy is more theoretical than practical.
For a designed match or accuracy firearm shot off the bench or a solid position the bolt is the only way to go but for a off the rack production gun in the field the differences are not as great. In many hunting situations the compactness and smoothness of operation of a lever gun is a greater key to success than some small degree in accuracy.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I might be surprised when I start reloading for it, maybe I can squeeze some accuracy out of it. But practically speaking the only advantage it has over a bolt gun fire me Is the eye candy factor. It is a beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
My 99 in .308 will  shoot an inch with 168's and 748. This was a range experiment use loads for another gun. I was surprised.  The savage is plenty adequate for hunting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top