Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 3:42:45 AM EDT
I know that this isn't AR-15 related but I beg your indulgance

About a year ago I found, and almost bought a Schmidt-Rubin Model 1889. I ended up deciding not to pick it up because I was unfamiliar with the 7.5X55 round that it was chambered for.

This was not one of my smartest moves because I now find myself fascinated by this interesting line of battle rifles, alright....it was a really boneheaded move because they’re almost becoming an obsession he
As my luck would have it I've now found a source for a 1931 Model K-31 Schmidt-Rubin carbine and the "voices in my head" are screaming for me to buy one NOW!!!!hat

Thank you oh great and wise gunnutz for teaching this miserable grasshopper
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Southern Ohio Gun (SOG) has Indep (Portuguese) ammo for $7.99/20. It is reloadable. Wait for Aim Surplus to bring in the Swiss surplus any day now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my K-31. I would like to get two or three more considering how cheaply aimsurplus.com and sog.com are selling them. Anyway, I bought some of the Indep ammo when I bought my rifle. It works fine but it is FMJ and it is an extremely light load. 7.5 Swiss should be right around a .308 in power and those rounds are barely 30-30 Winchester power. Yes, there have been lots of rumors about Swiss surplus ammo coming over. It will not be boxer primer and it will be FMJ. It should be quite accurate so I'm sure I'll get some but that isn't going to meet all my requirements. (And it isn't going to be dirt cheap either.)

I bought 40 pieces of brass from Midway. It was made by Norma and is some of the highest quality brass I've ever seen. It wasn't cheap but this isn't a semi-auto. I eject each round into my hand and put it into a range box or into my pocket. It's a really nice round to reload. I love that substantial rim and just the general proportions of the round. I think it would make a very satisfactory deer round. At least the round uses the "American standard" diameter of .308" for its bullets.

Gregg
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want good hunting rounds,then NORMA is about the only game in town.Open your wallet and brace yourself.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear that Bully, I checked the Norma web site and damn near had my heart stop......

The search continues and of course I'll post anything I find here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]

The ammo situation is the only thing keeping me from buying a K-31. When I buy a rifle, I tend to shoot it (a lot). That's why I've been sticking with the M-44s and 7.62X54R for now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you really do have the Model of 1889, you better not shoot the newer, highpowered ammo out of it.  Your locking lugs won't take it.  Also, you better research the variants, to see if your rifle takes the old-fashioned low pressure ammo (190 gr. silercolored FMJ RN going about 2,000 fps) or the newer, HOTTER stuff.

How do I know...(insert eeeevil laugh)....

Edited to say:  I only like overpriced Norma casings.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Erasmus, that is exactly why I didn't pick up the Model 1889 a year ago. I knew that these older rifles can't take the pressures of the more modern munitions.

Since I don't have the facilities in an apartment to reload, buying a rifle like that, and I don't buy firearms that I don't intend to shoot, would have been a waste.

The Model K-31 however will handle modern loads without breaking a sweat and that is the type I have my eye on at AIM Surplus.

I just hope that the rumours of Swiss surplus ammo being brought into the country are true and that it happens SOON. I MUST HAVE THIS RIFLE!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top