Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 9:50:43 PM EDT
I was able to get out today and do a proper class with the Tavor today. In fact there were 2 Tavors in the class mine in FDE and a black one, however mine was the one that made it through the day. I had 2 double feeds and they were caused by my glove getting pinched in the charging handle slot which in turn caused the bolt not to close with a round in the chamber and when it didn't go bang I charged it again causing the double feed.

The other guys never made it past the first shot of the day. He was a lefty and had taken his Tavor to a local gunsmith to have it changed over to shoot lefty. Well the only thing that the so called “gunsmith” did was take the plate off the left side and put it on the right. This caused a major problem as the internals were never properly changed. So instead of the brass casing being properly ejected for a lefty it ejected into the plate on the inside that was switched over. Needless to say he was pissed and called the gunshop to raise living Hell. The owner said that he “gunsmith” was fired and that he would make it good.

<Edited thread-title for clarity.

Thanks, AJ...>
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a learning curve with a new platform & some misplaced trust in a gunsmith to me
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]

problem? What problems?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like a learning curve with a new platform & some misplaced trust in a gunsmith to me
View Quote

I guess you could say that
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't really say any of this reflects poorly on the Tavor itself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thread title is misleading.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...although i'd love to know what that gunsmith charged to swap the cover
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious about the glove getting caught in the CH pathway.
Do you pull the CH back and let it fly, becaue it sounds like you're riding it forward.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you pull the CH back and let it fly, becaue it sounds like you're riding it forward.
View Quote

Also curious, were your gloves really loose or frayed?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Though I did have to laugh at the other guy for thinking  his local smith knew WTF he was doing better than IWI.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously though, inspect your equipment.  No excuse "my gunsmith did it" when you're at a class, much less in a real life situation.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#11]
There's so little excuse for botching a Tavor conversion. The manual is freely available and  has step by step directions, along with full color diagrams.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

guy said $65.00
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, I was riding it forward and not the gloves were not frayed but were just a tad bit loose. It was just the tip of the of the index finger getting caught.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

guy said $65.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

guy said $65.00

I'm sorry but as a customer that would have raised some concerns right there. If he had done some research on converting a tavor to LH $65 would have seemed low unless he also supplied the guy with the additional parts.

In the scheme of things $65 seems way too high for swapping the port cover!!! that's a 2 minute job.

Interesting stuff though thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was able to get out today and do a proper class with the Tavor today. In fact there were 2 Tavors in the class mine in FDE and a black one, however mine was the one that made it through the day. I had 2 double feeds and they were caused by my glove getting pinched in the charging handle slot which in turn caused the bolt not to close with a round in the chamber and when it didn't go bang I charged it again causing the double feed.

Needless to say he was pissed and called the gunshop to raise living Hell. The owner said that he “gunsmith” was fired and that he would make it good.
View Quote

Why wasn't the thread titled 'two Tavor users lack clues'?  
Seriously, there's nothing here that is a 'Tavor problem.'

I hope the LGS will also be paying for the useless class the guy tried to attend with a fubar-ed Tavor?
Why were you riding the CH?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
So what happened to the left hand bolt that the gunsmith failed to install? Did the customer provide the bolt or did the gunsmith say he'd provide one? Didn't the customer find it weird the gunsmith fail to move the charging handle and safety to the opposite side?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yup, I was riding it forward and not the gloves were not frayed but were just a tad bit loose. It was just the tip of the of the index finger getting caught.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that explains that.  Pull handle back, and let it fly forward, just like you do (or should be doing ) on an AR, AK, G3, etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So what happened to the left hand bolt that the gunsmith failed to install? Did the customer provide the bolt or did the gunsmith say he'd provide one? Didn't the customer find it weird the gunsmith fail to move the charging handle and safety to the opposite side?
View Quote

apparently neither the owner or the gunsmith knew that you need a lefty bolt and the customer wanted the charging handle on the original side
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
What  "kind"  of carbine class was this; that the owner had no clue you needed
a left handed bolt to do the conversion with the Tavor?

(Nothing like not having absolutely no clue about the specifics, operation of a weapon you will be training with
even in a basic carbine class you should, do be able to show "some" degree of familiarization
I'm thinking the guy needs to stick with Airsoft)

The past two classes I have been to - the instructors (or RO) check weapons for
proper mechanical operation/safety prior to the start of range time.
It reduces lost time on the line during instruction due to mechanical issues and enhances safety..

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Definitely something that could and should be done by the owner. Very simple parts replacement...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top