Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 7:22:17 PM EDT
Did CMP shipped the gun directly to you or did the purchase went through a dealer?

Thanks,

ASR
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The gun has to go thru a dealer......period!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

sgtar15

Is that just for California?  I've heard people getting Garands through the CMP, and because THEY do the background check on you (the paperwork you send in is notarized), they can send it directly to you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gotten a couple garands and a M1903 sent to me from the CMP direct via FEDEX, no dealers involved.  This was like 4 years ago before they used NICS.  Had to do the FBI packets with the fingerprints.  The second garand and the M1903 were send without a new background check since the check was good for a couple years IIRC.

Call the CMP to confirm, but I have not heard about any problems for CA shipments, but the way the Caliban operates, anythings possible.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did CMP shipped the gun directly to you or did the purchase went through a dealer?

Thanks,

ASR

I got mine through the DCM back when they were selling for $250. It came to me direct via the US Post Office. This was after Cali passed the law that all guns had to be sold via dealers, so I think it still works this way . . .
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

CMP ships the rifle to your door via Fedex.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I stand corrected
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know Caliban law, but Federal Law allows a Dealer to ship a firearm instate without seeing the buyer. The Buyer has to send in a specific form, signed and possibly notorized. The Dealer runs NICS and then ships direct.

Unfortunately, many won't do this. I have run into this problem at Gun Shows in Liberal Areas of Florida. In some areas, a 5 Day Wait is mandated by the County, City, etc...I specifically asked one Dealer at the Show if I filled out the forms there if he could ship the Gun to me in Pensacola. He said no. I don't see why not since when I fill out the form NICS is run. I could see if Broward considered that bypassing their waiting period, but he could have shipped it from his business in a County with no wait. If that still would have been questionable, then he should have allowed me to mail him the form and get it direct.

At the time, I was unaware of this allowance. Since, I looked up 18 USC 44 I found out about it. I intend to use it to bypass the 5 Day wait anytime I visit Broward, Dade, or Palm Beach. Since I own a place in Pensacola (Free Florida) couldn't I buy direct from any of the major Florida Dealers/Maufacturers/etc... such as Gunsmoke, Kel-Tec, etc... I might have to change the addy. on my DL, but that would be easier than traveling to a gun show one weekend, leaving town and then having to travel back the next weekend to pick up my gun. It becomes a pain as the amount of time I spend in South Florida is small when I do visit. I generally don't have 5 Business Days to stay and wait for an unconstitutional and arbitrary wait.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
When Congress set up the CMP, they exempted them from the Gun Control Act. That's why they can send directly to the customer and do not have to transfer through a dealer.  They do do the NICS check though.  They did have a problem with the checks at first because they don't have an FFL.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top