Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/8/2002 4:18:46 AM EDT
Just did a trade for a Win model 70 classic stainless. Question; Is there any way I can darken this rifle up at home that is done right and looks good? Thanks in advance, I know I'll get the right answers...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2002 6:48:40 AM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:09:06 AM EDT
I don't know if this is the "right" answer for you but I "finished" a Mini30 stainless using Hi-temp stove paint. I diassembled the rifle down to the parts I wanted to "finish". I cleaned the metal with denatured alcohol. I used a heat gun to WARM the metal. I then sprayed the metal with light quick coats of the hi-temp stove/BBQ spray paint (Krylon I think). When the metal cooled a bit I gave it one final even coat. After a week I put the rifle back together. I used a dark/OD flat green just for some variety. That was 4 years ago and it still looks GREAT. I haven't tried to abuse the finish but it seems to hold up to normal range/field use pretty well. Gun oils and solvents have not affected it. I probably wouldn't do this to a real pricey rifle but it looks sharp on the Mini30. Anyway, I could probably "strip" it with paint remover if it started to look bad. I am not guaranteeing your results but it may be an option.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:06:18 AM EDT

I had my stainless barrel glass beaded and Dupont Black T put on it and baked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:26:05 AM EDT
I used Rustoleum High Temp BBQ Black paint on my L1A1 and got great results.
Same story as above.
Cleaned it; taped it off; warmed it up and used a few well timed coats. Let sit for a few days.
Reassemble and shoot.
It looks good after 4 years.
A LOT cheaper than the alternative.
You aren't limited to using only black.
Have fun, it's only a gun!
Top Top