Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 5:08:05 PM EDT
Yep, I'm one of those back asswards people with skewed vision.  I shoot left-handed, but am right eye dominant.  This poses no problem with handguns, as I shift slightly to be more perpendicular to the target, as well as becoming a thinner target in a defensive situation.  However, my recent trip to the range brought me many new questions.

When shooting using a rifle scope, does anyone shoot with both eyes open?  I usually sight through the scope with my right eye closed.  By chance, I had both eyes open at one point and encountered this sight picture:

In the lower left hand corner of my view, I can see the rifle barrel, as my right (dominant) eye would see it.  In the center of my view, I can see the target as my left eye would see it through the scope.  At the lower right hand of the target, I can see the actual size of my target as seen through my right eye.  

Now somehow, this worked for me.  Without having to squint my right eye, I seemed more relaxed.  Somehow, my brain was able to take the sight picture through my left and right eye and make it into one smooth 'picture'.  Of the eight shots that I took using this method, 5 were in the black, with the remaining three in a 3/4 inch group in the bullseye.  

What was just as amazing, is that I was shooting a Mini-14 with Winchester White Box 45 gr. JHP's.  My best 5 shot group with the boat anchor was 1.5 inches, using the same ammo.  All shots were taken at 100 yards.  

Am I just a whack job for using a scope with both eyes open, or is this something that is common?  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Missle Patrolman,
Just as a wild guess you've found something that works well for you.
As I'm sure you know there are "shooting systems' out there where both eyes are open - I think one maybe the "Binion" ??  (ACOG ?)

I have the exact opposite problem, right handed left-eye dominant.
With my 66SP Mauser sniper, I sort of get my chin over to the right side of the stock, use my left eye for sighting and shooting finally feels right.  Only the scope set-up and characteristics of this particular rifle allow me to do this.

Looks sort of odd to those passing but when they see the MOA groups I shoot (7" at 70 yards) they immediately understand !
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm right hand left eye too...if your just using a scope on a well aimed shot, have you tried a patch on your eye.
I shoot both eyes open..you should ..it relieves eye strain...a patch does the same thing...you can have both eyes open...a patch on your glasses or whatever on your dominant eye, and shoot weak eyed.
With a handgun..I shoot with my left eyeby twisting my head a little more,
and witha dot sight...aimpoint etc...I mount it out a little further to keep from going cross eyed...good luck...whatever works for you..stick with it
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I see things the way you do. I am also left handed and right eye dominant. It sounds like we shoot a pistol the same way. I turn my head/body to allow the right eye a dominant view. When shooting a rifle I can shoot one eye open or both open. If I shoot both eyes open, I have to blink the right eye in order to see through the scope. Overall, I think we are the gifted ones and everyone else is lagging behind. IMHO

Being weird is not enough
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Cool topic!

To discover your dominant eye:
1. Hold your finger out at arms length.
2. Locate an object that is on the tip of your finger with both eyes open.
3. Close the left eye. note the object.
4. Close the right eye.( left eye open, Moron!)

The eye that maintains the object on the tip of your finger is your dominant eye. (scope eye)The eye that moves the object off the tip of your finger is your "ranging eye" used to form distance judgement.

I am the "Ultimate Sniper", according to Plaster. Right eye dominant, right handed in the extreme, non-smoker, over thirty, under 60, non-drinker. I wish that I could memorize ballistics tables better. Meantime I have notes on the inside of my scope cap.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm right hand left eye too...if your just using a scope on a well aimed shot, have you tried a patch on your eye.
I shoot both eyes open..you should ..it relieves eye strain...a patch does the same thing...you can have both eyes open...a patch on your glasses or whatever on your dominant eye, and shoot weak eyed.
With a handgun..I shoot with my left eyeby twisting my head a little more,
and witha dot sight...aimpoint etc...I mount it out a little further to keep from going cross eyed...good luck...whatever works for you..stick with it

_--------------------------------------------
I haven't tried an eye patch but I will.  
Where did you find your patch ??
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Any drugstore that sells bandages and such should have them...if you wear shooting glasses or reg glasses...some black electric tape will do..
It allows me to have my eye open...but theres nothing for it to focus on..so no stress..
Kinda like when you get your vision checked they block on eye at a time rather than having you close one eye.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
While I’ve never done it, I read that some competition shooters put translucent tape over the non-shooting eye side of their glasses.  

Supposedly this avoids the eyes fighting each other, which occurs with a patch since one eye sees light and one eye sees darkness.   My recollection is that the tape should be inside the glasses since, if it’s on the outside, it can cause a reflection (the eye sees itself).

For what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not cross eye dominant so I cannot give you any great tips to help you out with that, but in answer to one of your questions, does anybody shoot there scoped rifle with both eyes open? The answer is yes, I shoot everything with both eyes open, iron sighted rifles, handguns, shotguns, scope sighted firearms, archery,and trap and skeet with the shotgun.
I started shooting this way from probably around ten years old. Some people seem to have trouble trying both eyes open if they have been shooting a long time with one eye closed. Keep working at it and I think you will find it works quite well.
Tuco
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I am also cross-eye dominant (left eye, right handed).  From what I have been told and currently practice, is you need to shoot rifles with your weak hand.  I shoot pistols right handed, and rifles left handed.  It takes a while to get used to, but your aim will be faster and more accurate.  I have been doing this now for six months and it is starting to feel more and more natural.  I have noticed my speed is improving along with my accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was in high school we had a guy on the rifle team who was cross dominant.  He was right-handed and left-eyed.  He shot left-handed and did quite well.

My suggestion for you is to shoot right-handed seing has how that's the side with the dominant eye and shoot with both eyes open.

I have an even more interesting problem.  I don't have a dominant eye.  I used to close my left eye (I shoot right-handed), but that would tire my face muscles out.  I then tried using a left eye blinder, which works great in competition.  I used a piece of white plastic that I attached to the rear site of my rifle.  It took me a very long time to get used to, but now I shoot with both eyes open.  Neither eye is dominant so I get both images equally, which can cause problems on really bright days and so forth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Slightly OT, but I'm a righty with left eye dominance.  When I shoot from the bench for extended periods, I sometimes close my left eye for a looooooong time.  I had LASIK about a year ago, and when I finally get up from the bench for a rest, my left eye will not focus correctly.  It sometimes takes foreve to clear up.  Other than that, LASIK ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the wisdom, and words of encouragement.  
I've tried to shoot right handed, but have apparently adjusted TOO well into being a lefty in a right handed world.  Trying to shoot right handed seems to cause motor skill disconnect. I turn into Mr. Thumbs.  
 On the downside, I was hoping that I was a special whack job. LOL.  

Merry Christmas folks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the wisdom...  

Merry Christmas folks!

Sorry to have to tell you but you've obviously posted on the wrong board !!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I am right hand/left eye, I have been in the TV business for over 25 years and shooting cameras forcedd my right eye to some of the work, but shooting handgun, I go left eye. Shooting rifle I go right eye. A buddy of mine is the same and is fighting to shoot rifle left handed. Lately I put an Aimpoint on my A2 rifle and noticed that it is easy to get a tight cheek weld and shoot left eye right handed. Maybe this could work for you.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#15]
first off I'am right handed and left eye dominant.
used to shoot highpower about 10 years ago and decided this summer to get back into it.
first thing I did was to go to a amu clinic and right off the bat found out after all these years that I was a left eye dominant person.
what a shock!
have only shot 7 matches since I started again but they have all been  expert to master scores and have decided to try to get a master card and then try it out left handed to see if it improves things and will also pratice it this upcoming year a little bit starting in the slow fire prone stages.
I try to shoot everything with  both eyes open when not using a scope and it does help me. I can see why now.
with a scoped rifle like when I hunt I usually close my left eye as when my scope is adjusted right I really do not think it changes much for me.
its been a shock after 47 years to find out that info.
the way I check now is the following and the above way is also good but this is the way I was taught to check it by a member of the amu.

#1 put you hands together palms together and fingers interwined.
#2 put you hands at eye level and fully extended in front of you.
#3 form a triangle with you index fingers and thumbs and look threw the opening at a stationaly object with both eyes open.
#4 slowly bring your hand back to you face while staying focused on the object and it will track back to your doninent eye.
it also works good when testing other people because when the do it have them make your face the stationary object and when they bring their arm back to their face all you will see is which eye is dominant.
but I would think that the other way mention is just as good.  jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top