Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 6:50:24 PM EDT
anybody own one of these? they look like pretty good guns on their web site but i've never seen one in person or known anyone who owns one. i'm starting to get the itch for one.

specialweaponsllc.com
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to go over to www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi  and read about the products and the company there.  I have no personal experience with the gun or the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know anything about these guns personally but I suggest you do a search on this forum. Some other memeber have had dealings with Todd from Special Weapons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
you might find that many of the members here have quite a bit to say about toad and SW. some intresting pics too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people have had a LOT of problems with SW HK-clones.  Apparently people who understand gunsmithing have nothing but disdain for the "building" of the SW guns.  At one of the other gun sites (was it the old HK91.com?) there were a lot of threads about all the problems and fixes with them.

My personal view is that the SW guns are way too expensive for a clone.  The FAL anology is that DSA guns are expensive for clones, but the quality is absolutely superb and they are universally acclaimed as being as good or better than original preban guns.  Todd Bailey's SW guns are similarly priced - but it is not clear at all that they have quality even remotely approaching that of original HK firearms.

If I wanted a really good FAL, I'd either pony of 2000 for a preban, or I'd pay about 1300 for a DSA.  However, if I wanted a really good HK, the only option is a preban built in Germany.

An entirely separate issue is that at every occasion, Todd Bailey has shown himself to be a real arrogant and annoying jackhole, who cares little for anything other than his own wealth.  There were plenty of examples of him pitching fits and getting abusive and out of control when people raised legtimate issues or questions about his product.  That sort of thing may matter to some people, and may not to others.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an SW5 and got rid of it almost immediately.  It would jam every third or fourth round even after the 200 rd break in period with +P ammo.  I tried every damn kind of 9mm ammo out there and I never could get it to function properly.  Don't have any experience with the SW staff directly, but I have heard way more horror stories than success stories.  I do know that their warranty program is set up from the date of manufacture which means that if you bought a weapon that was made in say Sept. 2000 then shipped to a dealer where it sat on his shelf for six months then you would only have six months remaining on the warranty (i.e. it's a year long warranty.  Not a very attractive warranty program is it?  

Bottom line, I think if you investigate enough you'll find out that these products are not all their cracked up to be and the "MP5 bug" is way overrated.

Hope that helps and good luck
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just run away from them. It is not worth the money. Spend a little extra for a HK 94 and you can not go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
wow i guess that answers my question. i've seen hk94 parts kits , what about those ? where do you get a reciever? and whats legal/not legal ?hk94's seem to be few and far between.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Total sphincter. RUN!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#9]
good luck finding an HK-94 recevier!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of the SW5s had jamming problems. Todd Bailey is an asshole and has many enemies.

That being said, I have over 1000 rounds through my SW3 (HK91 clone) with no problems whatsoever. It has never jammed or failed to fire, and it is very accurate. The fit and finish is excellent and I'm very happy with it. I ordered early on in production and got mine for less than $1000, though I did have to wait at least six months for it to be built.

Living in Californistan, HK91s were banned and HK41s were around $4000 so the SW3 was the best option available to me at the time. I sold a butt-ugly Federal Arms aluminum receiver clone to get the SW3 and my only regret is that Todd has so many enemies and such a bad reputation that I would have a hard time selling the SW3 in the future, if I should ever decide to sell it.

It would be an easier sell to someone who looks at it up close and shoots it, but here in Californistan that is not an option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
What caliber is an HK41?  I'm not an HK buff and have never heard fo this one.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#12]
THOSE THINGS ARE JUNK!!!

i'm an avid hk fan, even though i only own the 91 & 93 (the have lots of nice goodies on them), i love HK stuff!

i've always wanted a 94 or a SP89 but one day spied a SW5 on the wall and bought it. it sucked!! they sent me a brand new one 6 months later...it too totally sucks! i'm fixing it up, & getting it to fire nice only to sell it. it'll be a nice gun becuase it has a barrel shraud with a surefire (with adapter) & HK sling. those features made it absolutely cool!!

i will be selling it to buy a SP89 though. so if ya want to buy a good firing SW5 with some kick ass goodies, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]
They're SP89 clone is sooo tempting, too bad their quality is known to be shit...

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
HK41 was the predecessor to the HK91. Same caliber .308 NATO, and it's been said that they were very easy to convert to full-auto. That little "problem" was remedied in the HK91. I used to occasionally see them at gun shows here in California.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]
superdav, I won't say anything good about Toad Bailey or his firearms, but here's an option you may not have considered.  Buy a SW SW5 receiver and put your 94/MP5 parts kits on it.....oh, All NFA Rules Apply
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
anybody own one of these? they look like pretty good guns on their web site but i've never seen one in person or known anyone who owns one. i'm starting to get the itch for one.

specialweaponsllc.com

I am going out on a limb here considering the overall feelings regarding Todd Baily, but I have had good results dealing with him.  His SW3 is a good weapon, I can't say about the SW5.  I bought a SW5 receiver back when I lived in southern Cal before the ban came down just to have something to build an SP89.  I have yet to build it and probably won't as my priorities have changed.  I dealt with him alot and he was prompt and delivered as ordered and on time.  Just my personal experience.  

Kentlik
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the SW5. I purchased the receiver and built it myself. Fit and finish are great. That said, It still had failures to feed and eject. I replaced the extractor and spring with factory Hk parts and reworked the bolt return spring. Works fine now. I also picked up what Toad said was an SW3 receiver. It, however was manufactured by PMP so I had no doubt my 91 clone would be trouble free, and it has.
My dealings with Toad have been minimal, but with so many complaints, you just have to listen !
Worst case scenario: If it was all you had on hand at that critical moment(Doom on you) it would make a prety heavy baseball bat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Got the SW5 and PDW version.

SW5 was one of the early ones but I have not had any problems after the $5 extractor pin was changed out. PDW hasn't failed on me either.

Seems the early ones had most of the problems. The most recent production guns seems to have the bugs worked out.

Here is a link to their web board most of the users there have SW guns so you can ask from current owners how their guns are doing.
hk-54.com/cgibin/forums/Ultimate.cgi

Link seems to be down right now but check them later.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for all the info. now if i was to get a receiver from the amphibian and put it with a hk94 parts kit with fixed stock and 16inch barrel that would be legal, right? i sometimes shoot at a local public game and fish range and occasionally there are fbi, secret service, dea, etc. there also, so i really want to be legal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#20]
i also forgot to ask whats with the 3 lug barrels and no lugs, what is the lug for anyway? and will all hk parts work on SW receivers? the only hk i've ever owned is a usp so i'm new to everything else, i just want to get all the info before i sink some money into something.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]
superdav, fixed stock and '16 barrel make for a legal title 1 firearm. Note that many manufacturers make the barrel length '16 1/4 so F-Troop (ATF) wont have any question as to legal barrel length. Also, OAL must be no less than '26. The standard stock will be O.K. for that.

The 3 lugs are Hk's supressor mounting system.
Hk parts will work, after all Toad says they are the "Best Hk clones in the world".
You will probably have to hand fit Hk parts. I did with the Hk extractor. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have yet to build it and probably won't as my priorities have changed.
Kentlik

Want to sell it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have yet to build it and probably won't as my priorities have changed.
Kentlik

Want to sell it?

Yes, as a matter of fact.

Kentlik
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
You might want to note a few things:

1) HK54.com is owned entirely by Todd Baily AKA Special Weapons. Anybody brave enough to have posted anything bad about his products was banned and the threads most likely would be deleted.

2) HK54.com is down right now becuase Toad was served with a supeona at the Shot Show. He does not want his own site being used against him in court.

3) I have almost never heard anything good about an SW-5. It is said by knowledable sources that Toad slaps his Rifles together w/o the proper tools and doesn't inspect them. QC is non-existent. So, you may get a good one or a bad one. It is like playing Russian Roulette.

4) His prices are ridiculous for a knock-off. Guns-N-Stuff (www.gunsnstuff.net) has HK-94 Receivers for $399.95. Last time I checked their HK-94 Kits were $500. They currently do not list a price on their web page for HK Kits. So, you will have to check the catalog.

5) Toad denied the extractors were bad for a long time. Long enough to screw some people out of their warranties. In fact, he kept producing them w/ bad extractros even after being informed that the extractors were bad.

6) Most people who have actually dealt with Toad's or Special Weapons say that they are jackasses. From his posts online, I would say they are correct. Also, his posts suggest a substandard IQ. He cannot spell worth shit and makes up lies like crazy. For example, he recently posted on his site that he was ending production of the SW3 because he got a military contract which anybody knows is BS. Why, becuase a military can get original HKs for less than an SW. Even the French consider his products to be garbage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Who's taking Toad to court for what? lol, that's a new one on me.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Who's taking Toad to court for what? lol, that's a new one on me.

www.hkweaponsystems.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000481
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks for the infosounds like i may have build a 94, the toad must be hibernating, his ears are probably burning too  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top