Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2001 10:18:23 AM EDT
... If I were to purchase a registered Lightning Link for my SP1 lower would I need an M16 bolt for it to work?

... Are M16 bolts legal in my AR15 if I do not have select fire options?

TIA
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
LL converts you to FA with AR BC
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the way BATF has 'interpreted' the law, putting ANY M16 part in your semi-auto AR is considered an attempt to convert it to full-auto.  It's ludicrous, but that's the way they are enforcing it.  So, no M16 bolt in your semi.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
In fact a LL will not even work with an M-16 Bolt. It will only work with an AR-15 Semi Bolt.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not worth the trouble.

Either work on your bump fire, quick trigger pulls, or even a BMF.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The M16 and AR15 use the same bolt. . . . . .
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Same Bolt ,  different bolt carrier. There are two different bolt carriers for the AR, one will work w/ LL one will not.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, now its my understanding that the SP1's were the closest thing to an M16 that was offered.  If I'm not mistaking, don't the SP1's have the M16 bolt and carrier and no sear block, so all they need is a DIAS and the auto  selector?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No. SP-1s still use the AR carrier. The lowers are not machined out for auto sears either. They are not blocked but are not fully machined like a 16 lower.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
According to the way BATF has 'interpreted' the law, putting ANY M16 part in your semi-auto AR is considered an attempt to convert it to full-auto.  It's ludicrous, but that's the way they are enforcing it.  So, no M16 bolt in your semi.

It's even more serious than that.  Possession of an M16 part with possession of a licensed Class III weapon is considered intent to modify, and will land your happy ass in a world of trouble, ludicrous or not.  I don't understand why anyone would want to stick their arms in the BATF cage and try to make any weapon full auto without legal documentation, but then again momma did drop me on my head once...er, no twice...oh, well there was that other time...maybe I should count the time she..

shooter
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Something to keep in mind - installation of a Lightning Link will remove semi-auto capability from your rifle; it will be fully automatic only.  Of course, with sufficient practice, you can reach the point where you can still fire off just one shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The original Colt SP1 shipped from the factory did have a M16 bolt carrier in it and is considered legal. But these are VERY old and VERY rare. Your chances of finding Bin Laden are better than finding one of those. Not too mention the price. Hope your an organ donor.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
OK
I am being rude
Look at his ?
Look at my answer
Why are the other posts here?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK
I am being rude
Look at his ?
Look at my answer

Thanks, you were right. The carrier was the key.
Thanks also to Troy, fpr clarifying things.
At my age and stature the last thing I wanna do is "stick my arms in the BATF cage " and take a swipe.
If done it would be done above board.
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK
I am being rude
Look at his ?
Look at my answer

What, you come to a forum where we opinionated bozos hang out and you are surprised?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top