Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 10:14:14 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a 870 police magnum( is that the correct name model?). My question is does the police model come with that stupid saftey lock? If so can it be replaced with a over sized saftey to get rid of the lock? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure if the newest ones come with the new lock, but I understand that the safety can be changed to a non-safety "big head" safety no problem if it is the new kind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
One of these showed up on an issue police weapon where I work the other day (turned in as "it won't work"). We were puzzled and had never seen the new safeties. I had the whole thing explained to me by Remington Customer Service. All Remington 870s made after December 2000 will have the new locking safety. The safety can be locked, using a propeitary "J" key, into a non-firing position, or locked into non-firing and used as a push-buton safety in the old manner. There is no option to get the old saftey on a new Remington, even for the Police Magnum.

They did ship us a free "J" key and some other unrelated parts for free and I got them within a week. I have neen too busy to mess with it yet, so there is still a dissambled Remington on my desk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran into the J safety key on Rem. 700 in .308. I thought something was wrong until I actually read the book. So, after reading ,playing, and understanding I put the safety in the off position, and promtly threw away the J keys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top