Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 6:28:02 PM EDT

What's the best way to clean the lens on an ACOG? Mines not dirty yet, but I'm always worried when cleaning my uppper rec. I'll get some kind of gun oil or such on there. What's the best way to clean such a high dollar piece of optics if something like that get's on it? Or dust for that matter?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to take it off the upper and the use a high quality optics cleaning pen. If you bought your ACOG from www.swfa.com it came with a cleaning pen.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure that the manufacturer has rec cleaning solutions, etc.
My best piece of advice would be to clean it as seldom as possible. No matter what you use you scratch the optics somewhat. Over time this will cause problems. Use your scope cover when not in use or when cleaning rifle, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Scopecoat from Miidway to keep the dust off while the rifle is in the safe.

www.midwayusa.com/online/productpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=780045&KeyWord=ACOG+compact
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven’t cleaned my compact ACOG yet.  

For scopes, binoculars, etc. I typically flush with copious running water, followed by very gently rubbing the lens with tissue paper (obviously without Aloe, perfumes or such on it) while using more running water.  

I follow with Birchwood Casey Lens cleaning fluid and more tissue.  I probably should use lens-cleaning paper, but the tissue seems OK.  

While I’ve never had a problem, I guess water in some parts of this country might be unsuitable for this.  In any event, you certainly don’t let the water dry out on the lens.

To me the most important thing is to loosen and wash away get every last speck of grit before applying any pressure to the lens.  That grit will scratch a lens.  Beware of grit that hides along the edge of the lens only to later become embedded in your cleaning tissue.  Change tissue constantly, this is the wrong place to try to save a few cents.  

Even when the grit is gone, use only light pressure against the lens.  If you use tissue like I do, remember it may have grit, etc. in it as it comes out of the box – it’s made for blowing noses, not cleaning lenses.  Toilet paper strikes me as being a little too coarse for this use – it’s designed to be strong, not soft.

The lens cleaning fluid should remove any oils on the lens.

Take your time and be fussy; one careless cleaning and you’ll have a scratched lens forever!

I don’t quite trust the Lens-Pen.  It looks to me like it’s designed to remove smudges, not dirt.

Dust can be removed with a lens brush like photographers use on their cameras.  Incidentally, camera shops carry serious lens cleaning equipment.

I put a sandwich bag over my ACOG when cleaning and when storing the rifle.  I’ve heard that bore solvent can damage the lens coatings.

As much as an ACOG costs, you’d think they would give you some lens caps!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I use windex(sparingly) on my binocular lenses, along with lens tissue.

I believe astronomers use acetone to clean their mirrors.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I use AJAX and steel wool on mine.  It has been a little foggy lately...Must be moisture in the tube.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
AW, did the lil' bitch get his scope dirty?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AW, did the lil' bitch get his scope dirty?

Do you have anything to add?  If not, shut up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top