Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2009 6:31:30 PM EDT
Thanks for checking my post. I'm REALLY new to metallic reloading and I have a few questions. I'm pretty well set on what brand of reloading press I'm going to get, but I have questions about components, bullets and a few others.

FMJ vs lead bullets? Lead bullets are so much cheaper, so what's the drawback?

200 grain bullet vs 230 grain? Or should I go to a 185 SWC?

And finally powder? I'm partial to Alliant brand, I use that for my shotgun reloads and it would be nice to find a powder that I could use across the board for both shotgun, pistol and eventually rifle. That isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice.

I'm looking at a Lee Single Stage as I simply cannot afford a Dillion as much as I'd like one and cranking out 1,000 rounds a month isn't my goal. I want to save some money, but I have a great time just doing the reloading that speed isn't an issue. I already have spent brass and a set of Lee .45 ACP carbide dies.

Any help/opinions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Check here for your powder selection, Alliant Loading Data.

Easy answer is Unique for shotgun and pistol, another powder for rifle.

Drawback of lead loads is a little smoke, and you need to wash you hands after firing and loading them.

In 45 ACP leading is not a problem.

Plus side, very accurate and cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Cleanliness is next to Godliness and cost.  Lead is cheap and dirty.  Copper jacketed costs more but is cleaner.  You have to decide.  In the middle is poly coated bullets like Precision bullets.  Poly coated bullets seem like a good compromise for a volume shooter.

Your gun (unmentioned) may work best with a certain weight and style so test batches are in order.

Lots of guys shoot lead 45 ACP but outdoors only for reduced lead exposure.  Many persnickity types shoot fmj and don't look back.  I shoot a few thousand rounds a year of lead and poly coated bullets loaded on my $500 dollar Dillon setup.  I sweat over every bullet purchase for the cost.  If you are buying a cheaper press I think you might be happier with lead and cleaning your gun more (only fired outdoors).  

As far as bullet choice goes it's easy to make power factor with 230 bullets and the round nose is great for feeding in most weapons.  Its a good place to start.

My best short term advice is buy lead 230gr RN bullets at minimun 500 per order and hope bullet prices come down soon.  Maybe buy 100 rd boxes of jacketed bullets like sierra's to test and see if you need the extra accuracy.  Figure out what you like and if prices go down like I'm hoping, stock up then.

Prior to my Dillon purchase I had built up my reloading tray collection to enough for 400 cases to increase production rates on the single stage press.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I reload 200gr lead semi-wad cutters for use in my springfield 1911...it eats them right up without so much as a hiccup.  I like them because the print really well on targets.  That nice hole in the target sometimes helps my score when it barely touches the line between point zones.  RO's like scoring my shots, they're pretty cut and dry.  And accurate enough for me, won a few trophies last season in my class.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I reload 200gr lead semi-wad cutters for use in my springfield 1911...it eats them right up without so much as a hiccup.

What brand do you use?  I'm trying to figure out this whole FMJ, lead, hard cast, plated thing.  I want to start loading 45 for my 1911 and the bullet selection is giving me fits.  I was thinking I could just replicate a factory FMJ load, but plated or lead would be cheaper.  Not really, I'd just load more.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with 200 grain SWC and Green Dot.  Not certain how much powder you would need to use to make major.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for checking my post. I'm REALLY new to metallic reloading and I have a few questions. I'm pretty well set on what brand of reloading press I'm going to get, but I have questions about components, bullets and a few others.

FMJ vs lead bullets? Lead bullets are so much cheaper, so what's the drawback?

200 grain bullet vs 230 grain? Or should I go to a 185 SWC?

And finally powder? I'm partial to Alliant brand, I use that for my shotgun reloads and it would be nice to find a powder that I could use across the board for both shotgun, pistol and eventually rifle. That isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice.

I'm looking at a Lee Single Stage as I simply cannot afford a Dillion as much as I'd like one and cranking out 1,000 rounds a month isn't my goal. I want to save some money, but I have a great time just doing the reloading that speed isn't an issue. I already have spent brass and a set of Lee .45 ACP carbide dies.

Any help/opinions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

200 grain lead SWC, enough powder to get it to 900 FPS and be done.

Now equipment wise, single stage is fine.  Get a Lee press, their die set, the Auto Prime and Auto Disk.    Get a few loading blocksand you can MOVE.  Sizing is slow but the priming is fast and then you get to expanding+charging.  Here is whereyou place the bullet into the case, not seating but capping it off and placing the round in the loading block.  You KNOW it only has one charge in it and then it is capped.  
Once the blocks are full, seat and be done.

Green Dot?  Start at 4.0 grains  No more than 4.5 grains.  Low pressure load so it might be dirty.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess it could have helped if I put what I was shooting. Springfield 1911.

I appreciate the advice, getting into metallic reloading is a bit more intimidating that shotshell. Almost too many choices. I'll take everything into consideration and I can't say thanks enough for those that helped.

I've never shot anything other than 230 grain round nose FMJ so I know that feeds/works just fine, but I wouldn't mind trying others bullet types to experiment with to help cut costs.

Again, thanks! And if anyone can think of anything else, please post!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I reload 200gr lead semi-wad cutters for use in my springfield 1911...it eats them right up without so much as a hiccup.

What brand do you use?  I'm trying to figure out this whole FMJ, lead, hard cast, plated thing.  I want to start loading 45 for my 1911 and the bullet selection is giving me fits.  I was thinking I could just replicate a factory FMJ load, but plated or lead would be cheaper.  Not really, I'd just load more.

http://www.mastercast.net/cast_bullets.htm

or

http://www.keadbullets.com/

I just acquired equipment to cast my own (200gr lswc), so hopefully i won't have to purchase bullets for my .45's again!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend that is a competitive shooter (I am not) gave me a recipe: 200gr SWC over 5.0gr Titegroup. I have found that load shoots extremely well in every 1911 I own. You will have to figure out for yourself if it makes whatever power level you need to make, but using Ranier plated or hard cast lead bullets it is what I shoot all the time for practice in all my 1911s. FWIW it is more accurate than most factory ammo I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A friend that is a competitive shooter (I am not) gave me a recipe: 200gr SWC over 5.0gr Titegroup. I have found that load shoots extremely well in every 1911 I own. You will have to figure out for yourself if it makes whatever power level you need to make, but using Ranier plated or hard cast lead bullets it is what I shoot all the time for practice in all my 1911s. FWIW it is more accurate than most factory ammo I have ever shot.

That's the exact recipe for my loads!  Has worked well for me in USPSA competition, Single Stack division.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
200 gr LSWC from Missouri Bullet Co. and 5.0 gr bullseye works well for me
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
All I can do is tell you what my 45acp CDP IDPA load is.

225gr RNL cast from an old RCBS mold, Fed 150 primers, 5.1gr W231, Cartridge OAL 1.270", Crimp .471".

Ave Velocity is 742.26" out of my Kimber.

Nice, low recoil load that still makes Major.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
the one on the right

a plated bullet from rainier. ggod price , good shoot.
this ones a 185 gr @ 6.8 or 7gr unique. 7.4 is max.
I run it thru a USP or a Ruger P90
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
230gr.  FMJ   and 3.8gr. CLAYS

shoots softer than my old 200gr SWC /w231 load

...and very clean, accurate and economical
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top