Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 12:16:55 PM EDT
Everyone, but especially those who have the HK USC (because every gun takes ammo differnetly even if it is the same caliber):

What are the best FMJ and Hollowpoint (HydraShok is hollowpoint) and maybe frangible loads in general but if possible just for the HK USC? Remember the USC can take .45 SUPER so lets hear some of those rounds too.

So far I have found just by looking at specs the Federal HydraShok 230 GR to be the best Hollowpoint and the Sellier & Bellot FMJ's the best FMJ round mostly because of the low price. Best not only means best accuracy (while that is a major consideration) but also the price and velocity of the round and potential to do damage.  For frangibles, which are may too expensive unless you must have them (like hostage situatuions) I found that the MagSafe's are the hardest kicking yet still quite safe.

BTW: What the story behind Triton's ammuniton line???

Doggonit

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The Federal Hydra Shok 230 grn bullet does not open up reliably if it has to shoot through clothing.  It is probably the worst load you could select.  The Proload 230 grn +P load and the Black Hills 185 grn +P loads would be better choices.  Both use the superior Gold Dot bullet which is the only bonded HP offered to civilians.  Triton no longer makes the 45 Super round (Texas Ammunition Company makes it)  and from my understanding the Super loads use the XTP bullet which is as bad at not opening as the Hydra Shock.

Stay away from frangible loads as they tend to not penetrate deeply enough and are easliy defeated by medium cover.

Also you cant use weight/velocity figures to dtermine terminal effectiveness.  Try checking out ammolab.com to see what I am talking about.  You will be suprised to find out some of your favorite loads dont expand reliably
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is one for you.  FBI "Sex Gun" I mean the HRT Springfield is ONLY loaded with Remington Golden Sabers in 230 gr. This combo has to shoot 2" @ 50 yards. It has to penetrate auto glass and not over penetrate meaning it must expand as designed . Remington had to change the way they made the bullet. Now the bullet is of the "bonded " type , like a Speer Gold Dot. I have 200 left of the older constructed 230 gr & 500 185 gr. left. As soon as the new ones are available to handloaders , I 'll get more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top