Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2012 4:54:54 PM EDT
Which factory ammo manufacturers use Large Primer, which use Small?  Is it easy to tell SPP cartridges from LPP cartridges?  Is it dangerous putting a Large Primer in a SPP cartridge when reloading?  Could it go off and kill me?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A LP primer won't fit in a SP pocket, and yes, it will go bang if you try to force it in there. Normally, 45acp uses a LP primer, but some mfg's use small and some use both depending on the load. As far as I know, the SP primed 45acp loads have been the so-called "green" non-toxic loads, but there may be others out there. Beware.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester makes both - the small headstamp is "Win NT". I believe Federal is also making both. I toss all SP 45acp casing into the "recycle" bin.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Federal, Speer and CCI brass with small primer pockets.  I knew winchester used to make them but not sure of they still do or not.  I always tossed them as they had larger than normal flash holes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
In addition to what he said, confirm standard Blazer Brass 230gr RN uses small primer. Other threads in other forums where the search function is a bit more reasonable (eg the 1911forum) would give you more brands.

The problem could of course go both ways. A small primer will (at some point) fall out of a large primer pocket. A large primer will not fit into a small primer pocket. You should notice the difference in stroke and pressure . . . and if you try to slam the primer home, it could go off. Whether it would kill you or not may depend on how closely you were examining the primer pocket at the time.

The difference is small, so if you're not examining carefully you might miss it. OTOH, once you're familiar with both variants the difference is easy to see. Experience, examination.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen Federal and CCI

It is very easy to tell but don't get complacent. It just adds one more step to the reloading process but you don't want to try to seat a large pistol primer into a small pistol hole with a press! ouch!

I have just been bagging up all of the ones I find for a rainy day...or in case I run out of large pistol primers one day...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
i just started loading 45 last year and i welcomed being able to get sp 45 cases they went with all my other sp calibers i was loading. so i can stock one primer for all of them.

for me i still come across a lp once in a while that i miss and i get a little powder spilled over my press. clean up and move on.

trying to put a lp in a sp if you don't catch it at first resistance may be able to set off the primer but i was taught if something feels diff. stop and inspect

as stated most manufactures out there have produced both sizes.  side by side shooting i can't tell the diff. and my chrono either my brother loads the same load as i with lp and they are with in 20 fps of each other

out of 5" 1911's
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Since I just started reloading and .45 was the first caliber, I ran across the SP/LP issue immediately.  For shooting, the difference hasn't been noticeable.  During processing I segregate it into different bins.  Several ranges I shoot at are lead free and small primer .45 brass is common.  I also use a hand primer, so if a wrong size stray gets into the mix I'd notice it.  I only load small quantities, but I can imagine large quantities of unknown/mixed brass might be a pain.

And because pictures add to any thread, left are all small primer and right are all large primer.  Side by side it's easy to see the difference.

ETA:  The left Win NT brass came from non toxic/lead free loads.  The right FC 11 came from frangible loads.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn right!  Thanks for the picture....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have bought a bunch of the 100 pk maroon box Federal in 45 and then I found out about this thru a local forum.  News to me at the time. I dug through a couple boxes I had purchased and no small primers.  Which Federal's are SP?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have bought a bunch of the 100 pk maroon box Federal in 45 and then I found out about this thru a local forum.  News to me at the time. I dug through a couple boxes I had purchased and no small primers.  Which Federal's are SP?

I've bought those same boxes (as well as the 50 rounders) and they've all been small primer! It does seem that nothing is consistent (maybe other than the Win NT) in the small primer world.

Granted I did not open all my boxes only two randomly chosen ones but I did get out a sleeve of LP and SP to make sure I knew what I was looking at plus a box of the Winchester WB 100rd.  This is f'ed up.  I am the opposite of most however as it appears I load mainly LP cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI, small primer will eventually fall out of a large primer pocket ?? Small primers won't stay in a large primer pocket. Fact check that.

Large primers aren't fitting in small primer pockets. None that I know of have been killed by seating primers but you might be the first, who knows ?

I've finally found a use for all the CCI, Speer, Federal and Winchester NT small primer brass. I'd been saving them for scrap price while loosing large primer .45acp brass at match for all the thieves who steal it while I watch and make comment. Come spring I'm loading nothing but small primer .45acp for IDPA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Federal are the only ones Ive found with small primers.

I run a lee hand priming tool so the primer doesn't go in, it gets set aside. I run both with the same powder bullet combination. Only thing it does for me is screwup my .40 S&W primer counts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen Win, Fed, and speer small primer brass.  I've loaded about 30 dummy rounds for dry fire with them.  I scrap the rest.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've seen Win, Fed, and speer small primer brass.  I've loaded about 30 dummy rounds for dry fire with them.  I scrap the rest.

I'll gladly take your scrap. I've got enough large primer that's it not worth it to switch completely over but if I were starting out the option of not having to change over primer set ups and stocking the one size for pistols is appealing. Changing over the primer set up on my LNL only takes a few minutes at most so it's not like that is a tremendous reason to switch.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Like a few others here I started off reloading only the sp and it's very convenient to only have to buy one kind of pirmer.  So far I've only seen the Federal, Win NT, SPEER, and Blazer in sp.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've bought those same boxes (as well as the 50 rounders) and they've all been small primer! It does seem that nothing is consistent (maybe other than the Win NT) in the small primer world.

Granted I did not open all my boxes only two randomly chosen ones but I did get out a sleeve of LP and SP to make sure I knew what I was looking at plus a box of the Winchester WB 100rd.  This is f'ed up.  I am the opposite of most however as it appears I load mainly LP cartridges.

I know the 50 rd boxes have gotten smaller and use SPP but the last 100 rd boxes I've tried have all been LPP.

I segregate the SPP brass into a bucket for future use if SPP become the norm, or for eventual scrap if it never catches on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top