Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:19:39 PM EDT
I have been looking around for a way to carry my HK91 mags. I haven't been able to find anything other than the G3 mag pouches but they only hold 2 mags and are doofy looking. It could be a vest, a harness, or even some nylon pouches that hold two+ mags in one pouch.

all the help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
doofy looking?

does it work?

can you get to your mags?

can you get them  cheep?

Are you looking for something functional and readily available, or are you going to a fashion show?

if you need an HK91 for something that you are preparing for, then whatever you're preparing for is not going to give a lick if you ascribe to the Cosmotactical look of the month, use what works and go from there.

THAT being said, HSGI, Diamondback and Eagle all make 308 pouches. and the requisite platforms to mount the pouches onto.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. And no I don't think the pouches look that doofy. And I don't think they would work well for what I want. If I want 2-300 rounds on me, thats a least 5 sets of those pouches. That means they are going to be on my back if I can fit them at all. I don't know about you, but reaching around to undo a flap and pull out a mag doesn't sound like an effective way to carry them.

But again, I appreciate your response.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Tactical Tailor also sells some .308 pouches as well (stackable singles and a double mag pouch).
www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=12
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
200-300 rounds?

going zombie hunting?  

ponder how you will use this setup, then assess REALLY how much sh** you'll be carrying on your person at a given time, compounded by whatever environmental stresses, logistical stresses, and limitations on PERSONAL  abilities at a given time.

have you given very serious thought about how this load would be borne outside of going from the truck/PoV  to a square range?  What about other equipment?  What are your limitations?  Don't say that you don't have any, everyone will have some sort of detriment to their peak level of physical ability.  Do you have any back problems?  How is your range of motion?  Any restrictions?

How is your range of motion when DIS-advantaged?  ie. prone, on your side, on your back... with a large pack, carrying some sort of encumbrance?

the reality of the matter, is this type of topic is posted without *much* pre-ponderance by the original poster., those leaving the field open for conjecture / responses du jour  and really leaving a end result which amounts to the same position as to which the original poster started out as.

Assess what you are PLANNING on doing?
What is your AO?  Are there any AO specific issues that may impact your equipage?
Will you be traveling with others?  
Are you physically able to maintain a sustain activity level over a certain length of time?  Will an LBE set with aforementioned pockets become a physical constraint on your abilities?
How well familiar are you in weapon manipulation, magazine changes, transitiona etc?  this will dictate what sort of pouch/equipment to invest in.
Are you running a sidearm? if so, will it be positioned in a manner similar to unencumbered carry?

-or-
you can just buy a few pouches, place your mags in them, and find out whether or not they work for you and be done with it and move on

BTW ---- functionality trumps LOOKS any day

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cosmotactical

Egg, you just gave me an idea for Photoshop...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have been looking around for a way to carry my HK91 mags. I haven't been able to find anything other than the G3 mag pouches but they only hold 2 mags and are doofy looking. It could be a vest, a harness, or even some nylon pouches that hold two+ mags in one pouch.

all the help is appreciated.

FWIW - I'm building a vest right now that will be primarily for my AR10.  It is on an Eagle MOLLE tac vest.  Right now it has four HSGI rifle mag pouches (holds 8 M14 mags) right in the front.  Under my arms on each side I have a Spec-Ops X-4 on each side.  These are mainly for misc stuff but could be used to hold three more M14 mags each for a total of 14 but I doubt I will ever actually carry that many mags.  I haven't relly decided on what pistol mag pouches etc to put above the rifle mags but that is what I have so far.

If needed I have a web belt attached, MOLLE on the back and a good old THE PACK if I need to carry anything else.  I like having options even if I don't utilize every inch of space.

To answer your question more directly, the Spec OPs pouches are prety nice.  The X-4 will hold three M14 mags and I would imagine the X-6 would hold 4 or 5 mags if that is what you want to do.  Most of the others designed for .308 mags will only hold one or two at the most.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
combatkit.net/products.php?g=10&p=41

I have one of these LBV,  it can carry any type of mag.

Might  be willing to trade or sell.

TG
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cosmotactical

Egg, you just gave me an idea for Photoshop...

you do that... I cant begin to count how many of these I have seen ;)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
200-300 rounds?

going zombie hunting?  

ponder how you will use this setup, then assess REALLY how much sh** you'll be carrying on your person at a given time, compounded by whatever environmental stresses, logistical stresses, and limitations on PERSONAL  abilities at a given time.

have you given very serious thought about how this load would be borne outside of going from the truck/PoV  to a square range?  What about other equipment?  What are your limitations?  Don't say that you don't have any, everyone will have some sort of detriment to their peak level of physical ability.  Do you have any back problems?  How is your range of motion?  Any restrictions?

How is your range of motion when DIS-advantaged?  ie. prone, on your side, on your back... with a large pack, carrying some sort of encumbrance?

the reality of the matter, is this type of topic is posted without *much* pre-ponderance by the original poster., those leaving the field open for conjecture / responses du jour  and really leaving a end result which amounts to the same position as to which the original poster started out as.

Assess what you are PLANNING on doing?
What is your AO?  Are there any AO specific issues that may impact your equipage?
Will you be traveling with others?  
Are you physically able to maintain a sustain activity level over a certain length of time?  Will an LBE set with aforementioned pockets become a physical constraint on your abilities?
How well familiar are you in weapon manipulation, magazine changes, transitiona etc?  this will dictate what sort of pouch/equipment to invest in.
Are you running a sidearm? if so, will it be positioned in a manner similar to unencumbered carry?

-or-
you can just buy a few pouches, place your mags in them, and find out whether or not they work for you and be done with it and move on

BTW ---- functionality trumps LOOKS any day hr

Maybe I am going zombie hunting. hough
When I go shooting now, I have a LBV that holds 2 mags in the main pockets. Then I put 2 GI 5.56 pouches on my waist that hold 2 mags apiece. But they are loose and rattle around. I do mag changes everytime I shoot. So it has become very fluent and easy. I do the same with my AR.

I appreciate all you guys' help. Now it's time to kick some zombie a$$!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont shoot the zombie that looks like rosie o'donald. its to easy of a target.

for those who have seen the new dawn of the dead movie.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
 Just saw it for the first time a few days ago (got it as a Xmas present).  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I will just back up a few hundred yards and hit her with my bolt gun .
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Even if you are zombie hunting 2-300 rds. is a lot too carry, I know I used to have a setup like it. It appeared well and standing in my house with it all on it was manageable. However out in the field on a hot (or cold dy for that matter) it was just too cumbersome. Forget crawling on the ground, forget running for any long distances (without dumping gear), forget not making any sound. Heck my rifle alone weighed 9lbs.....add that many rounds and mags and you are carrying about all you can carry. 200rds. would be the max I would plan on carrying if I were you. Cache some more in different places, find some good cover and put well placed shots down range and call it a day. Just my .02 worth of experience.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
TT .308 mag pouches on a MAV w/ X harnss is hard to beat.

jmo
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BTW ---- functionality trumps LOOKS any day

Amen...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top