Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:56:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:44:36 AM EST by Silent_Knight]
I have found that my best .308 groups with any powder and 175SMK or 168AMAX are coming from reloads made with Hornady, Winchester, and GGG brass. Least reliable and least accurate are the FGMM brass. Problem is I have a slew of FC once fired brass from LEO 700Ps (FGMM 168SMK). I have heard that FC brass was not great because it is softer than other better brands.

I find it interesting that Fed. can make perhaps the most accurate factory round out of the worst brass. How can this be possible? I guess it's obvious that the FGMM's secret is the powder.

I also recently noticed that the Win. and Hornady brass offer less neck tension than the FC after the are resized and fully prepped. So far, I have noticed the inner neck dimension of Hornady and Winchester are .305" and the FC is between .3035" and .3040" I am using an RCBS full length Comp. die on all brass. I have noticed that the Win. and Hornady brass do not require as much trimming as the FC after resizing.

I think the degredation in accuracy from the FC brass is directly related to the neck tension, at least in my case. I do understand that FC brass has a larger capacity than the Hornady and Win. if I am not mistaken. If I am wrong please correct me or offer any advice. I have yet to try Lapua or Nosler.

Also any ideas who makes GGG Brass?

I think I would trade this FC brass 3 to 1 for just about anything else.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:10:59 AM EST
WOW. I am rather surprised that no one could offer any advice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:52:27 AM EST
I've read the FGM brass is thinner at the neck then most brands and doesn't resize as well as Winchester or others. It has something to do with sealing better in the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:04:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
I've read the FGM brass is thinner at the neck then most brands and doesn't resize as well as Winchester or others. It has something to do with sealing better in the chamber.

AS Lugerman said, the brass is made softer to aid in the harmonics, it is a long explanation ,softer is better
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:46:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By spiralseal:

AS Lugerman said, the brass is made softer to aid in the harmonics, it is a long explanation ,softer is better

If softer is better rhen why does it never do better than other brands....for me at least? Like I also said in the OP I believe the FGMM brass has too much neck tension. And this is part of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:48:31 PM EST
Federal brass sucks! It is soft, and that makes it a poor candidate for long case life. The primer pockets expand after just a few firitngs. If you want case life get the WW or BHA is fine too as it is WW. Lapua is the best. Do yourself a real favor. Get a Type S Bushing Die for sizing brass. The right bushing is 0.336 with Lapua brass. And, you will be served well 0.331 with WW/BHA brass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:09 PM EST
I think the soft brass possibly obturates/forms into the chamber better, which may explain why it does reasonably well in a variety of guns. It is truly the LimpDick of all brass. When I get it I shoot it out of an HK and watch it die before it hits the ground.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:07:43 PM EST
I load 308 with FC brass.

I am loading 1.5 grs under max with a 150 gr bullet.

I get 1, sometimes 2 reloads before primer pockets loosen.

I will put up with this with free brass, I would never buy FC rifle brass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:53 PM EST
I have come to the conclusion that I will no longer attempt to find the sweet spot in my rifle usng FC brass. Sucks cause I've got sooo much of it. I need to try some Lapua brass or find more Hornady.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:56:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By Silent_Knight:
Originally Posted By spiralseal:

If softer is better rhen why does it never do better than other brands....for me at least? Like I also said in the OP I believe the FGMM brass has too much neck tension. And this is part of the problem.

I meant with never fired brass, once you use it , throw it away
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:13:29 PM EST
Are you firing all of this brass out of a bolt gun? I have FC brass. I reload it 1 time for my SASS gun I load it hot and it shows preasure and so I donate that brass to the 1919 fodder pile. But if I shoot that stuff out of a bolt gun i don't have to trim it after the first time ever. I'd probably wear my bolt gun out befroe i did the 1 piece of brass???? But it is softer brass. Matter of fact my pet load for my favorite bolt gun is worked up off of cavim brass me or my friend fired through a 1919 once. Why that stuff works out of that gun I have no idea. That brass is like rocks super hard!

LC match is my other bolt guns favorite. I don't have a single load for LC regualr or Lapua. I do for Lapua in .223 but not .308. None of my guns like the other stuff or I haven't experimented enough with them, but I assure you there was a great deal of experimentation done. One can tell we got creative using MG brass, but hey it worked and worked exceptionally well!

But FC is usually free and it is soft!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:26:52 PM EST
My GAP shoots 1/2" consistently with FC brass, sierra 168's, and either Varget or AA2520. I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:13:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Assaulter:
My GAP shoots 1/2" consistently with FC brass, sierra 168's, and either Varget or AA2520. I'm not complaining.

I believe that rifle would shoot musket ball at 1/2". They are fine weapons sir.

Whats the load and OAL for your Varget load?
Top Top