Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:40:41 PM EDT
Finally broke down and bought my first Garand. Sent the money order off today. Winchester, made October 1943 w/ 1951 SA barrel. Can't wait to get it in my hot little hands! Here's the pic:

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm considering converting it to .308. I already have tons of 7.62 NATO for my M1A, plus the Garand's TE already measures 4. But I'm having a hard time finding a suitable barrel. I'd prefer one chambered for 7.62 NATO rather than .308 since I'll be shooting mil-surp exclusively. Anybody familiar with the Beretta conversions? I've seen them advertised a few different places. Here's one:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35416825

Any other suggestions? Maybe buy a no-name .308 barrel from DGR Guns and get it reamed out? Or just leave the old war horse as is and stock up on 30.06?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger.

The Beretta conversion as I understand it requires a 30-06 chamber to be shortened which can also require the op rod to be shortened as well for proper timing and ejection.

If you were dead set or a 7.62 Nato chamber it would most likely be quicker to buy the .308 barrel and have it reamed.

Now if you think rebarreling a Garand to .308 is bad let me tell you a little secret....I also had a SA 1903 rebarreled in .308 as well

Now I am gonna run like hell before the purist read this

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:  I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger.  Karsten

+1.  Actually, +3.  I've three .308 Garands, and Clayton had a hand in all of them.  Man, I miss that guy.  He had the best deal going for Garand folks...

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:  I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger.  Karsten

+1.  Actually, +3.  I've three .308 Garands, and Clayton had a hand in all of them.  Man, I miss that guy.  He had the best deal going for Garand folks...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/WTOSAGarand.jpg' target='_new'>img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/WTOSAGarand.jpg

I didn't think you got the last couple done after Clayton (WTO) hung it up....Good to hear you did or maybe it was someone else I sent his way from the 1911 board that ran short.

Clayton also did my SA 1903 and I would post pictures but I am looking for a new photo host these days.

Ya just gotta like something about a square shooter/ fair priced/quality work guy that could run with the big boys that would rather drive a tractor and take care of family business on the cotton farm.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Try Warbird, he rebarrels Garands in 7.62

Warbird
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top