Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:40:41 PM EDT
Finally broke down and bought my first Garand. Sent the money order off today. Winchester, made October 1943 w/ 1951 SA barrel. Can't wait to get it in my hot little hands! Here's the pic:

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm considering converting it to .308. I already have tons of 7.62 NATO for my M1A, plus the Garand's TE already measures 4. But I'm having a hard time finding a suitable barrel. I'd prefer one chambered for 7.62 NATO rather than .308 since I'll be shooting mil-surp exclusively. Anybody familiar with the Beretta conversions? I've seen them advertised a few different places. Here's one:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35416825

Any other suggestions? Maybe buy a no-name .308 barrel from DGR Guns and get it reamed out? Or just leave the old war horse as is and stock up on 30.06?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:25:50 PM EDT
I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger.

The Beretta conversion as I understand it requires a 30-06 chamber to be shortened which can also require the op rod to be shortened as well for proper timing and ejection.

If you were dead set or a 7.62 Nato chamber it would most likely be quicker to buy the .308 barrel and have it reamed.

Now if you think rebarreling a Garand to .308 is bad let me tell you a little secret....I also had a SA 1903 rebarreled in .308 as well

Now I am gonna run like hell before the purist read this

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:59:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Karsten: I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger. Karsten

+1. Actually, +3. I've three .308 Garands, and Clayton had a hand in all of them. Man, I miss that guy. He had the best deal going for Garand folks...

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:26:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By varoadking:

Originally Posted By Karsten: I have a SA USGI Garand that I had rebarreled in .308 with a Wilson 6 Groove barrel by Clayton Smith a while back. I have not had a problem shooting surplus yet and get pretty good groups as well considering who is pulling the trigger. Karsten

+1. Actually, +3. I've three .308 Garands, and Clayton had a hand in all of them. Man, I miss that guy. He had the best deal going for Garand folks...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/WTOSAGarand.jpg' target='_new'>img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/WTOSAGarand.jpg

I didn't think you got the last couple done after Clayton (WTO) hung it up....Good to hear you did or maybe it was someone else I sent his way from the 1911 board that ran short.

Clayton also did my SA 1903 and I would post pictures but I am looking for a new photo host these days.

Ya just gotta like something about a square shooter/ fair priced/quality work guy that could run with the big boys that would rather drive a tractor and take care of family business on the cotton farm.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:50:33 AM EDT
Try Warbird, he rebarrels Garands in 7.62

Warbird
Top Top