Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:38:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 10:39:03 PM EST by ehryk]
The .300 WSM is almost 10 years old now, yet it seems like the heavy loads are just now coming around. One thing I have noticed is that these reloads equal or are very close to .300 Win Mag reloads. Why is the load data so scarce for the .300 WSM ovr 180 grain loads? I have been able to find some, but its kinda scarce. There is a good article here showing that the round protruding into the case has no effect on the velocity of the round. They seated a bullet fromm factory OAL all the way out to 3 inched OAL.

I really would like to see more load data for the heavies as well as factory loads. The inherant accuracy of the short fat cases just begs to get the heavies. I dunno, just me thinkin too much I guess lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:19 AM EST
Nosler #6, Hornady #7 and Hodgdon list loads up to 220gr bullets. Sierra, Alliant, Lyman, VV, Accurate and Ramshot list loads up to 200gr. How heavy are you looking for?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:26:49 AM EST
thanks to google, I probably found every load in the over 180 range there is on the net last week. My issue is that there are so few of these loads as compared to 110 to 180 grains. Also, I found a LOT of posts saying that the 190+ bullets cut into the case capasity too much making it ineficient, yet it appears that this is entirely not true at all from compareing both .300 Win Mag and .300 WSM. With the lighter bullets, the WSM often outperformed the Win Mag and equaled the Win Mag with heavy bullets. I really wish more companies would test and publish heavy bullet loads. I dunno, maybe I should be happy with the few that are out I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:33:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:56:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By AeroE:
.300 WSM supposed to duplicate 300 Win Mag speeds.

I'm guessing all the most recent load manuals have loads for every possible bullet; I don't have one handy to see just what bullets are covered.

The short fat case thing won't be realized unless you shoot good bullets through a good barrel installed on a good action and trigger in a good stock. All those things are necessary before any advantage provided by the case will be uncovered.

I have a Remington 700 STS stainless with a Nikon 4-16x. I bought it as a hunter and it fills that roll perfectly. Out of the box it is sub-moa which impressed me imensly. Even so, I still hand lapped the bore and chamber but havent shot it enough since then to determine just how much that helped. I bought a couple hundred rounds of Winchester virgin brass which were trimmed, chamfered and deburred and was playing with powder primer bullet combinations until I got deployed. Just over a year ago, there were few to no loads for 190, 200, 210 or 220 grain bullets being published. Even now, many companies only do 150 to 180 grains. I dont think the heavies are magic voodoo crap, but I sure would like to toss a few down range.
Top Top