Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 2:35:37 AM EDT
1) Cases that gage properly (using a Wilson Case gage) are sticking in the chamber (not fully seating) about 1/10 of the time. Cases are gaged before use AND after failure. They gage perfectly, every time.

a) This virtually never happens with cases that have been successfully fired as .300blk previously. This only happens with newly formed cases (from chopped .223 brass)

Super-Sonic Recipe:

-Chopped .223 Rem case (various)
-CCI Small Rifle Primer
-16.5gr IMR 4227 Powder
-125gr Hornady SST Bullets

2) A1680 is still unobtanium, wtf.

3) I have been using IMR4227 for 220gr (SMK) subs. According to the Hornady Manual 9th edition, 10.5gr results in @1200fps in a 16" bbl. I tried 10.0gr today in a 10.3" SBR suppressed with an AAC 7.62 SDN. 80% of the rounds are still coming out super-sonic. How low can I go (charge wise) and still cycle the action?

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've run some 208 Hornady AMAX with IMR 4227 @ 9.7 grains but have settled on 10.0 grains out of a 9" barrel.

On the chambering problem I have a friend with a 16" S&W rifle with what seems like a very tight chamber, brass formed from mil cases do not chamber so we have resorted to outside neck turning. Brass formed from commercial cases usually function fine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1) Cases that gage properly (using a Wilson Case gage) are sticking in the chamber (not fully seating) about 1/10 of the time. Cases are gaged before use AND after failure. They gage perfectly, every time.

a) This virtually never happens with cases that have been successfully fired as .300blk previously. This only happens with newly formed cases (from chopped .223 brass)

Super-Sonic Recipe:

-CCI Small Rifle Primer
-16.5gr IMR 4227 Powder

3) I have been using IMR4227 for 220gr (SMK) subs. According to the Hornady Manual 9th edition, 10.5gr results in @1200fps in a 16" bbl. I tried 10.0gr today in a 10.3" SBR suppressed with an AAC 7.62 SDN. 80% of the rounds are still coming out super-sonic. How low can I go (charge wise) and still cycle the action?

View Quote

How thick are your neck walls?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super-Sonic Recipe:

-CCI Small Rifle Primer
-16.5gr IMR 4227 Powder

I'm really not trying to be a hard on here but...

If the finished cartridge gages perfectly, <Hildabeast> what difference does that make? <Hildabeast>
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If the finished cartridge gages perfectly, <Hildabeast> what difference does that make? <Hildabeast>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilson case gauges measure case length for headspace and trimming needs. It doesn't measure body size.

From their site:

One piece gage that will check overall length to indicate the need for trimming, datum to head length to assure correct headspace and to prevent over sizing. Available for most popular rimless cases.

Note: Does not measure body diameters.  This gage is intended to be used with fired cases to determine a basis for full length sizing and trimming.

What you would need (gauge-wise) would be a slotted Seridan ammunition gauge. I bought mine here: http://ballistictools.com/store/sheridan-engineering-300-blk-slotted-gauge
However, they are cut to minimum SAAMI spec, which is freaking tight. I have also found that with the larger 220r bullets, the gauge is way too tight where the bullet ends up to be super useful. With 115r and such, everything chambers fine, but the bullet ends up hitting the end of the gauge where the chamber ends.

However, assuming the Wilson gauge works, the only thing left really would be bullet seating depth and neck thickness. You can measure those with a caliper. So, check neck wall thickness and check the diameter of the round at the neck with the bullet seated and compare it to factory rounds that work. There is some brass out there that ends up being too thick for some chambers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super-Sonic Recipe:

-CCI Small Rifle Primer
-16.5gr IMR 4227 Powder

Well, because I don't know that your particular case gage checks neck diameter as a no go gage, or just shoulder to case head length.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The wilson gauge is not a good chamber gauge, i learned this after buying ones in .223 and .308.  it is god for case length but not for checking chamber fit

The Sheridan gauge is a chamber gauge and highly recommended for 300blk
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The wilson gauge is not a good chamber gauge, i learned this after buying ones in .223 and .308.  it is god for case length but not for checking chamber fit

View Quote

Thank you to you and to chrismartin (above) for the recommendation.

I'll certainly check out the Sheridan.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright, I mic'd the case necks on some of the hinky cartridges.

...so they are definitely oversized according to the manual.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I didn't realize the Wilson wasn't accounting for diameter.

I love this place.

ETA: The hang ups were experienced in a S&W .300 Whisper upper. Someone mentioned above that they are know for having tight chambers. This is another factor to consider.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The Sheridan gauge will drive you to drink, cases deemed not worthy are often fine.  The darn thing is just too precise, Wilson works fine for all the BLK guns we load for.  We have encountered a chamber that requires about 2-3 thousands more bump to run reliably.  The reverse is true, with one chamber needing to be on the maximum head space side of the gauge to prevent gas leaking around the case ( supers and subs suppressed).  

Not all chambers are perfect, requiring minor adjustment in OAL and shoulder bump.  Neck sizing only will also reduce the gas/crud issue in suppressed subsonic loads.  Port size, buffer weight and spring length all play into a well running weapon.  In my reloading, the Sheridan isn't really needed, maybe if using a bunch of different brass.  We have used mostly LC, RP and WIN. for our formed cases.  Once in awhile some odd ball slips in, but still no issues.  We are using Hornady dies and they are working fine, a RCBS die worked, but with a bit different sizing at the shoulder.

It really sounds like initial sizing is not set quite right.... but then again the necks are thick like this old redneck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I didn't realize the Wilson wasn't accounting for diameter.

I love this place.

ETA: The hang ups were experienced in a S&W .300 Whisper upper. Someone mentioned above that they are know for having tight chambers. This is another factor to consider.
View Quote

There's a nice list of good and bad brass for conversion to 300 Blackout on 300blktalk.com.  I'm curious which headstamp the bigger rounds turn out to have...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a nice list of good and bad brass for conversion to 300 Blackout on 300blktalk.com.  I'm curious which headstamp the bigger rounds turn out to have...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this place.

Out of 20 pieces here are the counts
-TAA x7
-Lake City x6
-Royal Ordinance Radway Green x2
-Winchester x1
-Misc (unknown) x4
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a similar problem with cases. It wouldn't chamber unless some umph was put to it by letting the carrier slam it into place.

I found it that the barrel chamber was out of spec.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Super-Sonic Recipe:

-CCI Small Rifle Primer
-16.5gr IMR 4227 Powder

View Quote

Get a Sheridan slotted case gauge. Its 60.00. its set to the minimum measurements. That way if it fits in the case gauge it will fit your action and ive never had any now since I got it that haven't fit in my AR.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
If the gauge you are using does not match your chamber it is worthless.

Use your chamber as a gauge...
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Try tightening down the resizing die a half a turn.
I think your shoulder on the brass is too long.
It is really hard to get an accurate measure on the shoulder because of the way it is sloped.
Also, like the lug nuts on a wheel, sometimes the dies settle in and the tolerances get a little out.

Try it and let us know, you don't have to go to the range, just cycle the action,
if the round doesn't chamber you will know it right away.

(My first post but I have reloaded and and shot nearly 5k rounds of home made 300)
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I run the brass through the resizing die twice for newly formed 300 blk brass.  One pull, rotate the brass a bit and then another.  For me this results in a better defined neck and a more uniform case overall.  I would also check to make sure your resizing die is fully in place and touching the ram, then an extra half/full turn.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

what Gary said..
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

what Gary said..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what Gary said..

Sheridan slotted gauge FTW!  You can order directly from them.  Mom and pop outfit!  Even showed me the quality difference in commercial ammo!  Keep in mind it is precisely set to min sammi specs, MIN being they key word
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The sub-sonic issue is still unresolved.

I dropped the charge to 9.6gr of IMR4227 and tested the setup today.

40 rounds fired and virtually the same result. Majority of rounds went super.

I don't know how much of a factor this is but, the temperature was 31 degrees.

I will be dropping the charge to 9.3gr for the next batch. I hope that works.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Temp is usually a factor
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]
What actual velocity are you getting?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What actual velocity are you getting?
View Quote

Well, I don't have a chronograph.

I can distinctly hear the crack of most of the rounds going super.

More importantly, I can hear when they don't.

The difference is obvious.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Find a manual and come up with an an estimate of how muc hvelocity is gained with each .1gr powder difference. Then adjust down to 950. You're probably around 1050-1100
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

what bullet and what OAL? Elevation too please.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Without a chronograph it is really hard to do this by ear only.  You can get by, but I tried that and ended up being around 850fps when I would have sworn I was close to 1000fps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Without a chronograph it is really hard to do this by ear only.  You can get by, but I tried that and ended up being around 850fps when I would have sworn I was close to 1000fps.
View Quote

If that is the case, I had better get one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 220gr SMK
- OAL 2.14"
- Elevation @ 600 ft
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's a lot of lead to throw down-range to come out with bad results. Load 10 rounds per set, dropping 0.2 grains per set. You should find your charge weight on the first trip to the range and possibly the minimum charge weight needed to cycle your action.

-Millbarge
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's a lot of lead to throw down-range to come out with bad results. Load 10 rounds per set, dropping 0.2 grains per set. You should find your charge weight on the first trip to the range and possibly the minimum charge weight needed to cycle your action.  

-Millbarge
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Millbarge

I need a large enough sample to establish statistical significance.

Additionally, shooting hard boiled eggs is fun
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did this with a new cast bullet and my chronograph was getting repaired.  My accuracy was great and the results I had in wet pack was ok..  I killed 2 deer with it before my chronograph got fixed.  I was shocked to say the least.  And a little embarrassed.  But I did prove that a white tail can be taken down very effectively with much less then a 1000 ft lbs of energy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

- 220gr SMK
- OAL 2.14"
- Elevation @ 600 ft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 220gr SMK
- OAL 2.14"
- Elevation @ 600 ft

Ill run it through Quick load tonight..
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did this with a new cast bullet and my chronograph was getting repaired.  My accuracy was great and the results I had in wet pack was ok..  I killed 2 deer with it before my chronograph got fixed.  I was shocked to say the least.  And a little embarrassed.  But I did prove that a white tail can be taken down very effectively with much less then a 1000 ft lbs of energy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shot placement and penetration. Everything else is gravy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#36]
ok go with 9grs of 4227 that should give you about a calculated 1036 Fps out of a 10.3 inch barrel..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true and I preach shot placement over anything.  Followed by bullet construction,  both of the kills while successful showed me that the particular bullet I was using was not optimal.  I since upped my game with good bullets of proper design to get effective blood letting on white tails
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ok go with 9grs of 4227 that should give you about a calculated 1036 Fps out of a 10.3 inch barrel..
View Quote

I will do that. Lets hope it cycles.

Thank you.

ETA: The rounds are reliably sub-sonic at 9.1gr.

The weapon does NOT cycle reliably with reliable subs <sigh> 60% failure to fully cycle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Switching from an M-16 Carrier to an AR-15 Carrier (weight reduction) has me at 80% reliability with 9.1gr.

I am so close !!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I played with 4227 when i had zero 1680.

Very frustrating, would not cycle, going trans-sonic, pressure signs?

I gave up. Now i have 8 lbs of a powder I probably will not use.

1680 just plain works.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1680 just plain works.
View Quote

I have exactly the same issues, minus pressure signs.

It doesn't help that Hogdon's website has an absolute bullshit recipe.

They list 10.5gr as being sub-sonic @1044fps.

I know for a fact, this powder goes trans @ 9.3gr.

ETA: I have been scouring all the local outlets for 1680 for a solid year. There is none to be had
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA: I have been scouring all the local outlets for 1680 for a solid year. There is none to be had
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1680 just plain works.

you ready to give Uncle Fat a Hug?

Go to Thundirbird Cartridges. Order a jug of T680. then give me a big hug..

no shit thats exzactaly what you think it is..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1680 just plain works.

Im a little dense, help me out.

Are you saying I can use this powder in place of A1680?

If not a direct recipe replacement, I need work up charts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

its A1680 pull downs.. yes you can use one for one with A1680.. 10.5grs with a 220gr..

now where is my hug..
just keep it on the low down.. since they have it in stock and i want to get another 8lbs before it runs out..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

its A1680 pull downs.. yes you can use one for one with A1680.. 10.5grs with a 220gr..

now where is my hug..
just keep it on the low down.. since they have it in stock and i want to get another 8lbs before it runs out..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

now where is my hug..

Huggy huggy

Thanks Fats. My lips are sealed.

ETA: Checkout is broken. I'll try again tomorrow. <sigh>
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Huggy huggy

View Quote

call it in they are having issues with the website..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huggy huggy

My jug showed up a few weeks ago.  Been looking for AA1680 for over a year with no luck.

Today, I walk into my favorite LGS and what do I see?  10 lbs of AA1680 on the shelf for $25/pound

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top