Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2012 12:38:59 PM EDT
I am looking into getting my first can.   I like the idea of the YHM Maxim 22. also the YHM .22 Mite.

Do some of you have experience with these and what to like or dislike about them.

How do you like the "offset" of the Maxim?

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make damn sure you can open it up and clean the interior parts - this is the number one rule of .22 cans in my experience.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The Mite is loud compared to other .22lr cans and is notoriously difficult to break open and clean if you don't keep a rigorous schedule of breaking the can open.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
User-servicability is a must, as you're going to shoot with it more than any other can you own.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want to drop $400 on a SilencerCo Sparrow, the Huntertown Arms Guardian is a great can, almost as user serviceable, and half the cost. I'm waiting on my form 4 now.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at the SS Sparrow
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ss sparrow

AAC element

AAC prodigy

Swr specter

Waiting to see the guardian
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Mite is loud compared to other .22lr cans and is notoriously difficult to break open and clean if you don't keep a rigorous schedule of breaking the can open.

This is true. My NFA dealer stocks YHM cans. Unfortunately the Mite he demos needs to be sent back to YHM coz he cant get it open.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a YHM Mite and while it was a cheap can that gets the job done if I were to do it all over again I would spend an extra $200 or so and get the Sparrow or Element.

The difference is night and day, the Mite ALWAYS makes a good amount of noise while the Sparrow and the Element are like a mouse fart.

Don't waste time or money on the MITE

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, my buddy has one and even after 50 rds he has difficulty opening it.  My Outback II is quieter than it.  Also look at the SilencerCo Sparrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Dang, i just bought a mite in December from my local dealer and the so called surpressor expert said " a surpressor is a surpressor is a surpressor". Apparently not. Only plus is I only paid $160 for it
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got my first .22 suppressor in the past month or so.  I figured I won't have the income to get another can for a while so I got an AAC Element.  It is really quiet on a Savage Mark II FV-SR I just picked up to go with it.  I have some of the CCI Quiet 22 on the way for even more quiet.

Considering the wait time and the fact a can will be a pain to sell, I would spend the extra money and get what you want.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mite is loud.
I'm deaf in one ear, have tinnitus and can tell the difference between it and other cans.

Best bang for the buck right now is the Huntertown Arms Guardian.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
There is only one, ssparrow.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree the Sparrow is the way to go but there are two Sparrows I'm waiting on approval now on a SS Sparrow didn't want to trade in my aluminum one it's nice and  light a fantastic can and a piece of cake to clean.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, looks like I need to save up the extra $200 and get the Sparrow.

With that many votes it must be worth the extra $$$.

Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Gemtech Outback II, and have no reason to believe that their capable-of-user-disassembly Outback IID is anything less than stellar.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an AAC Prodigy. Shooting it next to another guys Sparrow would say the Prodigy sounded a smidge quieter with standard velocity ammo from P-22's. The Prodigy falls short on dissassembly and price but beats the Sparrow on performance and weight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have an AAC Prodigy. Shooting it next to another guys Sparrow would say the Prodigy sounded a smidge quieter with standard velocity ammo from P-22's. The Prodigy falls short on dissassembly and price but beats the Sparrow on performance and weight.

Depends on how you judge performance.  Yes the prodigy is a littel quieter but how does it hold up to .22 hornet?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how you judge performance.  Yes the prodigy is a littel quieter but how does it hold up to .22 hornet?

I don't know. I thought we were discussing .22lr.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you get your first can and realize you want everything suppressed and didnt buy a can that could handle it.  I have heard this way more often then not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you get your first can and realize you want everything suppressed and didnt buy a can that could handle it.  I have heard this way more often then not.

agreed, i regret the Mite
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed, i regret the Mite

I don't regret my mite, i know there are better but my action is still louder then the pop that comes out the other end and its still hearing safe.  I have the ss one is their any difference in performance between the ss and the aluminum?

Sputz
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I run the element. Light weight, dip-able and the best part, quiet!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Good thread. I'm about to start a form 4 on a huntertown guardian. $200 at a local dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top