Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 4:12:45 AM EDT
Im looking for a .22 rifle that my son can shoulder and shoot. I was looking at the Cricket .22 at wally world. Anyone have experiece with this? My Grandfather has a Hamilton rifle. It is a crack barrel little .22 that is very small. The problem is its barrel length is only 14.75" long. It was from the factory that way. Made in 1905. Someone told me that it was ok to own with out NFA but untill I have something in writing from the ATF. It will stay where it is. Thanks....oops, sorry he is 7 years old
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
How old is your son - trying to get idea of size requirement.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/kidshooting.html

Here is a site that shows you alot of options. A friend of mine bought his son a Chipmunk and it was a neat little rifle. I believe they now have .17cal set-ups also.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Marlin (and others) make some nice little rifles for children. The chipmunk comes to minds as does the cricket. Either should suit him fine. However you minght consider just cutting down the stock on a regular Model 60/10/22. That way you only have to buy one rifle and you can adjust it to fit him as he grows.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The Marlin is a Model 15YN. great little bolt action single shot
those rifles take a beating and still chug along. Can be had for about a hundred bucks or so
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Marlin Model 60 with a chopped stock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is my pick...

CZ 452 Scout.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here is my pick...

www.impactguns.com/store/media/cz_scout.jpg

CZ 452 Scout.

I second!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here is my pick...

www.impactguns.com/store/media/cz_scout.jpg

CZ 452 Scout.

What's the price on that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ 452 Scout Youth Bolt Action
GA# 976262074 $184.00 CZ 452 Scout Youth, Bolt Action Rifle, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 21" Barrel, Hardwood Stock . Fitted with a 16" barrel with open sights. Turkish walnut stock. Shortened stock dimension for Youth size shooters. Single round loading device. 5 round magazines available . Specifications:Caliber: 22 L R . Safety: Two-position . Detach Mag Cap: 5/10 . O
Seller: GUNFINDER, DEALER COST + 10%  
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 989 GA Sales: 79  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a Crickett for my son when he was 7. He loves that little rifle still (he turned 10 this year). Put a little 6x42 on it and he taps those little glowing groundhog targets at 50-75 yards all day.

I got the synthetic stock with the key lock in the stock; it made my wife a lot more comfortable with the idea of giving a rifle to a 7 year old.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You could also look at the Matched Pair by Rossi.  I have the .22/410 in stainless.  It is a nice size for younger shooters (I bought this one for my son for when he is old enough to shoot, now 3 yrs old)  I liked it because it is a single shot.  Less chance for a new shooter to have an AD.  It also has interchangeable barrels so I can teach him with a 410 shotgun.

I bought mine 1 year ago for $169.  The blued models go for around $119-$139.

See it at www.rossiusa.com
PS.  I also looked at the Cricket 1.5 yrs ago at Walmart.  They had it for only $100 and it had a lock on the bolt ehich was nice.

Good Luck
Rebel 13
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the Cricket rifle for my son (7 yrs old when I bought it ) . He loves it . My wife and older daughter like to shoot it too . I even enjoy it . The action was a little hard but loosened up after a couple shootings and cleanings .

I do wish it had a better trigger . I was wondering if there is a trigger job or upgrade to be had .

The bad thing for my son is that he shoots amberdexterious and the right hand bolt can be a pain sometimes . I have been thinking about a lever action but cannot find one as short as the Criket .  It fits him just right .
The locking bolt offers some extra piece of mind too .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top