Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 6:36:53 AM EDT
I'm sure it'll come down to actually hitting the gunshops so my 11 yr old daughter can find one that 'feels' right - but does anyone have any recommendations for either bolt, pump or lever actions we should look at or stay away from. Going to steer her away from semi's for awhile, and I have a 10/22 she can eventually graduate to anyways. Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on her size and strength?? Henry and Marlin make nice youth bolt guns at good prices the Marlin is grooved for a scope. I thing with kids it is important to get a gun that fits them.  If it is to large/heavy and they have to struggle with it, then its not fun and if its not fun kids will not want to continue.  Also most people recommend starting kids or anyone off with iron sights.  I don't. Put on a cheap tasco simmons bsa red dot scope and it makes it easier to hit the target and that gives them confidence.  Dots are better than scopes with newbies because the person does not have to struggle with proper eye relief/allignment.  The con to this approach is the kid could learn a few bad habits but you will be there to prevent this.  Also use reactive targets such as coke cans so they get a reward for doing good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find a Savage 73Y single shot bolt action, it was great for myself and my brother at the ages of 6 and 4.  It was just the right size for us.  My 2 year old and 7 year old now have just as much success and fun as I did.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at getting myself a pump-action gallery gun in .22 for some time now.  I've done lots of looking and fondling and very little buying.  All of the .22s I've ever handled have short length of pull, including most of the autoloaders, bolt-actions, pumps, and lever-actions.  At 11, she should be big enough to handle a regular .22 without any real trouble, unless she's just a really small girl.  Frankly, I'd recommend a cheap single-shot bolt gun like the M44s and Yugo (or Czech, can't remember which country they're from now) .22 trainers.  I like the idea of the red dot sight, but I still think it's a better idea to make her use iron sights to learn the basics.  Get a cheap scope and tell her that she can have it if she learns the basics, kinda like a reward for doing well.  Don't make her wait long before giving her the scope though, no more than 2 or 3 range trips.

After she has learned the basics move her up to a lever or pump gun.  Just from personal experience I believe that it's a bad idea to give an autoloader to somebody who hasn't learned absolute fire discipline.  The lever or pump has the added advantage that she'll be able to shoot .22 Long and Short out of it as well.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I teach hunters education, so this topic is near and dear to my heart.  After struggling with young students and the larger Remington 580 series, we finally started getting more appropriate rifles.  We decided on the Marlin 15YN.  A little heavy, but well proportioned and simple.  However, it is a single shot.  We specifically avoided the Chipmunk style because of the manual-cocked external striker.  For my own son, I bought a CZ452 Scout.  Mag fed if desired, they also supply a single shot adapter.  Accurate, simple, reliable, and inexpensive.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the Romanian .22 trainer (I think that's the one you're talking about Redredfms)
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say stay away from anything with a hammer!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the Chipmunk because it does have to be manually cocked.

But I think the best all around choice is the Romanian .22 trainer, heavy and big enough to taken seriuosly. Only about $75 at stores, easy to use w/o a clip to train on single shot, it is what I bought my nephew and he loves it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe later on you could get her one of the m16 remakes in 22lr like here http://www.armscor.com.ph/armscor/auto_rifle.htm should be around 175.

for now the marlin single shot 22lr bolt ,i think would be the best. around 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Suggest you stay away from anything with a tubular magazine.  It’s easy for a stray round to be left lurking in it.

Don’t know if you’re interested in a single shot, but New England Firearms (NEF) makes an interesting one for about $120 retail.  It looks very much like a single shot, break open shotgun.  The manually operated hammer probably makes it a bit safer for a youngster to handle.  It’s made in both youth and adult versions.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top