Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2002 4:31:08 PM EDT
At the local gun shop today to do some practice with the side arm when I saw that this plain-jane 1903A3 National Ord is still up there, still listed for $200. Other than a little oxidizing copper at the muzzle the rifle looks as good as any other Springfield ever did. Just picked up an old Lyman Alaska scope for my Mauser, but now that I think about it, it'd look a lot 'slicker' on this 03A3. I figure a dovetail rail wouldnt be that hard to come by, and it'd make a pretty nice, inexpensive addition to the collection.

So I pull out the TZ-75 and ask if they'd consider a trade (the TZ is worth $275, probably $300, but its got no real value to me, I got it for $250 at a pawnshop) the kid at the counter, an acquaintance of mine, looks my pistol up in the bluebook and says come back in two hours when the owner is there and we'll see then.

So I'm going in 15 minutes but I'm still up in the air about it. Heard a lot of horror stories about old Springfields coming loose, cracking, and letting go.

There's also a neat old Western Field shotgun up there for $75 that would make a charming "trench gun" look-a-like. I've got the money and I could sell my ate-up Mossberg 500 later to cover it in the account....

Hmmmmmm

I DID just survive a visit by an ex who now outranks me....(O-2, E-3, Ouch)

Ryan
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
National Ordnance IS NOT a GI rifle.  They made "replica" receivers for Springfield's and M1 Carbines back in the 60's and assembled them with GI parts.
They were noted for the poor quality of the receivers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the warning. I'll leave the hand cannon at home then.

Regards,

Ryan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top