Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/1/2006 12:17:04 PM EST
Im sure this question has been asked before, but what all is involved in converting a standard 10/22 to shoot .17 HMR? Do I need a .22 magnum reciever? Or can I use a standard .22 LR reciever? Any inof that any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:36:08 PM EST
I have been looking into converting my 10/22 to a .17 caliber myself. I do know for a fact that you can only convert it into a .17 mach 2. A 10/22 mag is required to convert it into a .17 HMR.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:43:07 AM EST
Quick answer, yes you need a magnum reciever. Magnum Research has a 17HMR in semi auto.

Check Rimfirecentral.com there is quite a bit of information there on the topic. The conversions are not just a simple barrel swap out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:54:10 AM EST
yeah you need a 22 mag reciever because the 17 HMR is a necked 22 mag
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:10:56 PM EST
I thought you also needed a different bolt or bolt spring too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:36:23 PM EST
In order to convert a Ruger 10/22 (long rifle, not magnum) to 17HM2, you must purchase a barrel and heavy bolt handle kit (unless you plan to reline your barrel, change some springs, etc). The cheapest/best kit out there right now is the EA Brown & Co. kit. It is $159.00 before shipping for the factory contour barrel and bolt handle.

For more info, visit the 17HM2 forum on rimfirecentral.com.

Top Top