Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 8:41:19 PM EDT
Because I have one of those god awful M-F jobs that makes Sundays feel like they should be called Monday Part 1, today I took on a little project.  If anyone in the industry is looking for someone who has a serious knack for quality, precision and customer service, hit me up, I need out of HR technology like yesterday.

Onto the good stuff... Lanyards for our nods are outrageously expensive, although if you have the cashflow, there are some excellent options out there for you.  I however love building things as it makes them more personalized, and if I can save some cash for ammo in the process, sign me up.

What do you need?

1) Key-Bak 48"/8oz, Made in the USA (yay!)
https://www.amazon.com/KEY-BAK-SECURIT-Retractable-Polycarbonate-Carabiner/dp/B0039YY2QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486945465&sr=8-1&keywords=keybak&tag=vglnk-c102-20
2) A smaller keyring than the one provided with the Key-Bak
3) A lanyard spring clip
4) Some hook and loop (the hook side) that has excellent adhesive
5) An eyebolt with a nut.  Specs on the one I used (Ace Hardware) are in the pictures

Find a good location to drill an 1/8" hole on your j-arm, be sure to keep clear of the wiring and contacts.  You're then going to want to thread that hole with your eyebolt so that even if your nut comes loose, it will hold, love redundancy.  If you use the eyebolt I mention, you will need to cut some of the threads off, but make sure the nut is on the bolt past where you cut so that you can "rethread the cut" but backing the nut off slowly.  From here you can snug that nut onto your j-arm.  Put some hook and loop on the flat side of the lanyard and stick it somewhere on your helmet.  In my pics you see I also made use of the carabiner for redundancy.  Paint or blue the shiny parts as you see fit.

I will probably put some finishing touches on what you see in the pictures, but this is a start. The rest is self-explanatory, this is not meant to be a DIY but rather a low cost tip to protect your big investment.  The weight of the PVS14 extends the lanyard down to about my belt, which is not fully extended, giving it ample suspension while hanging.  

Enjoy!

PICS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18475934@N02/shares/w3rUn6
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
T-REIGN for 12.00 shipped. Using fishing stee braded line though the holes on your pvs 14 near the on offf switch, route it to the top of your J Arm thumb screw and through the rention wire of the T-REIGN lanyard, attach the velcro strap of on the lnyard body to your swing arm mount and your done for less than 15.00
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the T-REIGN, wish I had known before spending $70+ for the Wilcox/TNVC lanyard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The t-reign is definitely a nice option.  I thought about it and for my application, I opted to not use it due to profile and connection type.  

Glad to hear folks are coming up with solutions that fit their needs and budgets!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
A word on T-reign. They all have a breakaway feature which is 25lbs of static force. The smaller T-reigns have so low retention force (4oz) that a binocular might drop fast enough to snap the breakaway. I have no idea about others, but just to raise awareness of an issue that might happen with other products too.

The larger T-reigns do have larger retention forces though the 25lbs breakaway is the same, but at the same time they have a longer cord so whatever the item it may drop further and gain more momentum to overcome that 25lbs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because I have one of those god awful M-F jobs that makes Sundays feel like they should be called Monday Part 1, today I took on a little project.  If anyone in the industry is looking for someone who has a serious knack for quality, precision and customer service, hit me up, I need out of HR technology like yesterday.

Onto the good stuff... Lanyards for our nods are outrageously expensive, although if you have the cashflow, there are some excellent options out there for you.  I however love building things as it makes them more personalized, and if I can save some cash for ammo in the process, sign me up.

What do you need?

1) Key-Bak 48"/8oz, Made in the USA (yay!)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039YY2QM?tag=vglnk-c102-20;qid=1486945465&sr=8-1&keywords=keybak&tag=vglnk-c102-20
2) A smaller keyring than the one provided with the Key-Bak
3) A lanyard spring clip
4) Some hook and loop (the hook side) that has excellent adhesive
5) An eyebolt with a nut.  Specs on the one I used (Ace Hardware) are in the pictures

Find a good location to drill an 1/8" hole on your j-arm, be sure to keep clear of the wiring and contacts.  You're then going to want to thread that hole with your eyebolt so that even if your nut comes loose, it will hold, love redundancy.  If you use the eyebolt I mention, you will need to cut some of the threads off, but make sure the nut is on the bolt past where you cut so that you can "rethread the cut" but backing the nut off slowly.  From here you can snug that nut onto your j-arm.  Put some hook and loop on the flat side of the lanyard and stick it somewhere on your helmet.  In my pics you see I also made use of the carabiner for redundancy.  Paint or blue the shiny parts as you see fit.

I will probably put some finishing touches on what you see in the pictures, but this is a start. The rest is self-explanatory, this is not meant to be a DIY but rather a low cost tip to protect your big investment.  The weight of the PVS14 extends the lanyard down to about my belt, which is not fully extended, giving it ample suspension while hanging.  

Enjoy!

PICS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18475934@N02/shares/w3rUn6
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
That is what I use OP. I  just used the belt clip, very solid.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
im more interested in how you mounted the surefire helmet light.

I have one too with the newer style mount and ive yet to be able to engineer a way to attach it to my TW helmet.

for the lanyard I just took a small clip that came with my surefire M1 and some shock cord.
hooked it on to the 14 with the clip and ran it through the slits in the helmet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The eye-bolt the OP is using causes weight-gain and I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the J-Arm. We've been using photography tripod D-Rings in place of the J-Arm knobs. They're cheap, easy, non-invasive to your parts and if you don't like them you can just swap the knob back like it was. By the time you swap the tripod D-Ring in place, there is actually a couple of grams weight-loss. I know it doesn't sound like much but this stuff adds up. If you push all night then extra weight on your neck = pain. I definitely don't want to gain weight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I set this up for a friend. No matter if the monocular gets detached from the J, the J arm breaks off, or the lowering arm gets detached from the helmet mount your covered.  .

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Love this idea! The D ring can act as a wing nut of sorts too.  While my purposes are not a concern for weight in this measure, there are some users where that really matters. I may look into this for another try. J-arms are $5-10 locally so I may play with some more and see what I can come up with with ideas from this thread.

The excuse to get out into the garage and work on stuff is worth more than these projects themselves it seems.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The eye-bolt the OP is using causes weight-gain and I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the J-Arm. We've been using photography tripod D-Rings in place of the J-Arm knobs. They're cheap, easy, non-invasive to your parts and if you don't like them you can just swap the knob back like it was. By the time you swap the tripod D-Ring in place, there is actually a couple of grams weight-loss. I know it doesn't sound like much but this stuff adds up. If you push all night then extra weight on your neck = pain. I definitely don't want to gain weight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty nice.

I just bought some shock cord and snaphooks from Amazon and rigged one up for use with the helmet. I also made retainers for lenscaps with it.

For my NiteCap, I bought a Wilcox lanyard off of FleaBay and attached it via the screw for the Wilcox shroud. Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Im a cheap bastard. Had a few qd key rings laying around and a bungee with a keyring on one end. Secured the Key bungee with some paracord. Tested it a few times on my bed dropping the nod from helmet height. So far so good!

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always found retractable lanyards to be more trouble than they're worth.  Nothing a couple loops of well-sized paracord and an S-biner couldn't do far more cheaply, efficiently, and lower profile.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top