Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 6:14:38 AM EDT
I'd like to get a mauser that I'll be leaving stock, but want to take it out on an occasional deer hunt.

I saw some Turkish mausers for $125 at a gunshow. They looked new. The Yugo mausers were rougher and more expensive. Which ones are better quality, and more accurate? The corrosive ammo used in the Yugos concerns me.

I know I can get better deals online, and I'll probably go that route. Which way should I go first?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:36:12 AM EDT by advntrjnky]
i have both , both are great. with my turk k.kale m38 i can hit the 500m ram with at least 50% of the shots, and with my yugo m48 have shot CA ground squirrels at a little more than 100m. this is all with stock open sights and mil-surp ammo(mostly turk ammo). granted at the time i was doing this shooting i was going through about 200-300 rds of ammo with these rifles a week and was very familiar with with their handling characteristics. also, both rifles will have shot corrosive ammo through them (not just the yugo). right now i am contemplating which one of the two to carry deer hunting this year. wher ei am at in MN it can be quite brushy and the turk can be a little long in the brush. i carried the turk last year. the turk hangs better for off-hand shooting, but the m48 is better for snap shooting. in other words get the best cheapest one you can, they will both do good for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:28:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:54:43 AM EDT by DDiggler]
How are the Yugo M48's for $119 from AIM Surplus? It says "Please do not expect the bore to be in new condition."

Also looking at the M24/47 Yugos from Samco Global for $139, Excellent condition.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
Southern Ohio Gun has them for around $90 to save a few more $. on they yugo's i wouldn't worry about the bore so much as the turks. the turks will (if rusted/worn) have a shot out bore with poor rifling and the yugo's if anything will have minor rust/pitting/darkness. the rifling will generally be strong on the yugo, which is more inportant than some minor frosting in the bottom of the grooves. a little elbow grease will go a long way. i had a couple that i thought were beyond ever being clean/ shootable. i cleaned it up how i normally do, then took it out and did what i call the "shoot &clean". take a 20 rd of non-corrosive new production ammo. shoot 1 round then clean while the barrel is still warm. to that for 5 shots. then shoot 2 and clean. shoot 3 and clean, and so on until the 20 rds are gone then a final clean. more often than not a turd bore will be 90% + clean/shiny. now back to your question. i don't think you can go wrong ordering from AIM. i have a bunch of times and always came better than they described. i have had 7 turks and 6 yugos. the yugos all cleaned up very nicely if they needed it at all, the turks all needed way more care/cleaning. i would order a yugo sight unseen, but wouldn't touch a turk if i couldn't handle it first(if i was looking for a clean shooter).
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:41:09 PM EDT
All the yugos I've seen/bought had rough unfinished wood (no prob, polish it smooth and linseed oil/ tung oil them) and new bores. My 48A has a perfect bore except for a little frost just past the throating, but that's almost polished out after 200 rounds. My 24/47 that was supposed to be a "V.G. cond. handpick" came as an all matching brand new un-issued rifle. Put it this way, the bolt was blued like the rest of the rifle and there was no silver showing through from use, just a little scuffing on the contact areas. Most turks I've seen have worn bores/shot out throats etc etc. Go to classicarms.us and ask them to handpick you a 24/47 for $129, or grab one of the $89 frosty bore 48As. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:29:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:07:34 AM EDT
Well, I just ordered it, my first C&R. I've had my license almost a year now, too!

After looking around (and realizing how picky I am) I ended up ordering the 24/47 Collector's grade from Samco Global. $189, and it came with the accessories too. "Like New" condition. The selling point for me was when I emailed SOG and asked about the bore quality... and was told "Fair." The bore on the one I ordered from Samco is supposed to be shiny, like new.

This is going to be a long wait...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:31:36 PM EDT
RS39, what grain are your remington corelocks? I might try them. My m48a shoots about 10 inches high also with surplus ammo. If I can get mine to shoot on target with commercial ammo as the only modification then every thing will be rosey. I can duplicate remington commercial loads by handloading.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:27:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar15hookem:
RS39, what grain are your remington corelocks? I might try them. My m48a shoots about 10 inches high also with surplus ammo. If I can get mine to shoot on target with commercial ammo as the only modification then every thing will be rosey. I can duplicate remington commercial loads by handloading.

You may try a Mojo rear sight too. They are fully adjustable for windage and elevation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:49:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:48:09 PM EDT
U.S. commercial 8mm ammo is loaded to a lower pressure, and velocity, than milsurp. Turk milsurp 8mm is the hottest 8mm out there. The Turk rifles had their sights regulated for their ammo.
Out of the available Mausers the 24/47 is probably the best shooter along with a very good+ grade M48.
All 8mm milsurp ammo uses corrosive primers so clean accordingly.
Turk K.Kales can be found for $60.00. It's a crap shoot, but some are decent shooters (2moa) and some are junk. Most buy the Turks to use the receivers for sporter builds.
Jim
Top Top