User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 6:52:21 PM EDT
Last week this Serbian dude at the range gave me the opportunity to fire
a few rounds from this fine weapon.

It is a Kalashnikov based reinforced milled receiver
manfactured by Zastava chambered in 8mm with
a Wood buttstock, pistol grip,distinctive 3
vent Yugo handguard, flash suppressor and bayo lug. The receiver was marked Zastava. Where the
M76 designation should have been, was obviously scratched off and marked M90.

The recoil was quite light, action was smooth and from the 10 rounds I fired was acheiving
2.5 in. groups at 100 yards. Right after firing
the weapon I knew I had to have one in my Kalashnikov collection(more so than an SVD).

He said that he purchased the rifle from SOG
(seen the ad,payed little mind till I fired it) for around $1,500 and that they had sold out
their inventory in 2 hours.

Anybody own or fired one of these? My main question is HOW THE HELL did they get these
weapons past the AWB and Customs????

The Serbian guy didn't believe there were any U.S. parts in the rifle either.

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There is lots of talk about these rifles in the AK forum and around the net.
www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=7&TID=23281&SID=1946017
www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=9&TID=4332&SID=1946017

www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=9&TID=3843&SID=1946017

These were the real deal and if you weren't one of the lucky buyers you missed out on the deal of a lifetime.  These are very rare rifles and would generally sell for $2500 or more.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
YAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!
[>Q][>Q][>Q]

Damnit!And appearantly prices just went up $2.5K!!! Fucckkkkkkk. Well, at least I had
the satisfaction to fire 10 rounds out of one....

I take it NO MORE of these will be imported?
And how the HELL did they get 'em past the AWB and Customs????!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I handled one the other day in the shop.  A FINE piece of equipment!

I HEARD that the BATF will come-a-calling soon on these, that they were let in "by mistake".  I don't know for sure though.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, The one I got a chance to test out
appeared to be NIB 100%. No wear on the
rails,bolt carrier and bolt when I removed the
top cover to check it out. It was the owner's
first time out with it as well, just receiving
it from SOG through his FFL the previous day.

These were only available for such a short period
that US parts had to have been out the question.

Pistol grip,detachable mag, flash suppressor,bayo lug? No U.S. comp parts?

I'm scratching my head just as vigorously as the ATF agent that let these "weapons of assault and mass destruction" fly through U.S. airspace and "abduct" U.S. Citizens.  

*Sigh* I just was I could have been "Taken".[)(:|]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw these in SGN.  I don't see anything worth $2500 there, especially with 2.5" groups.  The most I'd be willing to part with is $1000, and even that would be under duress.  You can have a 7.62x54 Romy in the $700-800 range that shoots better than that.  It's a frigging AK for crying out loud.  They are a fascinating derivative, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to knock the AK design, but if you are looking for a pretty accurate 8MM rifle, check out the Hakim.  I get 2.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with open sights.  Scoped, I can imagine they will shrink up maybe .75-1".  Hakims are selling for about $350-450 in my area.

If I was going to spend the prices quoted for the Yugo M76 8mm Dragunov type sniper rifle, I would much rather invest in a AR10 or M1A.

Just my opinion.

OSA

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to knock the AK design, but if you are looking for a pretty accurate 8MM rifle, check out the Hakim.  I get 2.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with open sights.  Scoped, I can imagine they will shrink up maybe .75-1".  Hakims are selling for about $350-450 in my area.

If I was going to spend the prices quoted for the Yugo M76 8mm Dragunov type sniper rifle, I would much rather invest in a AR10 or M1A.

Just my opinion.

OSA

With a little bit of file work the Hakim can be adapted to use 25rnd MG13 mags, making it into a half-assed BAR.  I still kick myself for not snatching up a Hakim at a gunshow years back for $125...I could have afforded it but would have had to skip eating out for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously there are quite a few 8mm that are
alot more accurate out there, but i was looking at the M76 from a Kalashnikov collector's POV.
Especially the fact that it "slipped" into the U.S. with ALL "evil-features" still intact.

Sure I could grab a Romy(I'd rather grab a Chinese SVD) but those are still quite plentiful. The Egyptian Hakims seem to be still available as well. I still see them at gunshows quite often next to Ljungmans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top