Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 3:11:24 PM EDT
Anyone seen, or ordered and received, the Yugo M48-Style 8mm rifle that Centerfire Systems has advertised in their April issue flyer, page 23. I ordered one today, looks like a M48 with K98 style stock. Any info would be great, can't wait to clean her up and go shootin. This is my first Mauser!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine from AIM a year ago.  I've only fired it 10 times or so.  The way it kicks its hard to get a cheekweld that didn't feel like a punch in the face.  

The main problem, and I guess its just ergonomics for me, is that the rear sights are placed to low.  That creates part of the cheek weld problem for me.  

As for the turkish 8mm ammo on the market, it didn't group too well.  I've heard the weight of the turkish bullets are mismatched to the twist rate of the M48 barrels.  

The condition of the rifle was very good for the money. The wood was a litle rough, but the metal was good and the bore was mint.  Supposedly they were never issued.  Trigger was good too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
i got an M48A a couple weeks ago at a gunshow and i like it a lot!  my first mauser also.  i shot a box of winchester through it and it grouped pretty well.  the muzzle jumped off the sandbag (!) much to my suprise.  not used to the power, but i liked it.  problem is, the stores around here don't have any ammo for it.  i decided that i won't use corrosive either.  btw, i paid $200.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys, but I want specific info on this rifle from Centerfire. I've seen the Yugo M48s' you both mention, they're really nice weapons, can't beat the price. But what attracted me to this certain rifle was the stock. Looks just like the k98 stock. Recess for the bent bolt above the trigger, and the bolt assembly ring embedded in the back of the stock.

I've been to all the C&R forums with no success. I was sure someone here might have ordered one by now.

? for all you k98 guys: could these rifles be captured k98s' refinished at the Yugo arsenal. German markings ground off and Yugo markings stamped in? Does such an animal exist?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Campy, I've read a lot of your posts. Sort of an honor to have you respond to my question. The order with Centerfire fell through, they're out of Mausers. I ordered one through CDNN. If you can, check out their catalog, I downloaded it in PDF format. They advertise a German K98K Mauser captured during WW2 with markings of the Yugo arsenal. I did some research on the C&R boards out there, and it seems these Mausers, if your lucky, still have some German proof markings left. They are actual 98ks'. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the Centerfire Mausers, if they were also captures, the pic in their catalog looked like a 98k, not a M48. Well it should be here end of this week, beginning of next week. Laminate stock,75-95% condition. Non-matching #s', some guys say they ordered the same and recieved matching #s'. Guess we'll wait and see!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
someday i hope to "capture" my girlfriends fathers k98, which still has nazi markings on it.  i don't think he's had it out of the case in a loooong time until i asked to see it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Added CDNN to my list of "Do business with again". Ordered a K98k Yugo capture on Tuesday morning, arrives on Thursday to my FFL! I ordered the $109 M/M laminate stock "Select". This thing looks like it was brought off the "front" today. 85-95% bluing, wood is EXCELLENT! No dings or dents at all. Stock and barrel match, bolt is a miss match. Should not take much to clean her up. Bore looks GREAT! Did a quick wipe down with mineral spirits to cut the oil. Cant wait to really break her down and clean everything up! Stock will only need some linseed oil. This is awesome! I hope the AK and M4 don't get jealous! LOL!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the M48 is the "intermediate ring" Mauser I keep hearing about?  I know there's one out that's fairly new to the market that has different action screw spacing than the small and large ring actions.  If you're keeping it stock, no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Got three M48As and one M48BO from AIM.  They were all LIKE-NEW.  One was missing the cleaning rod though.  The bores were all minty fresh!  Best $99 you can spend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Cleaned her up today, Waffenamt on trigger assy is 63. Still need to research the other markings, is also a Waffenamt stamp under the rear sight leaf, but need a magnifying glass to read it. Put 4 applications of cold blue on all steel parts, looks great. Stock cleaned up very nice. Used Tub and Tile cleaner. Stripped that cosmoline right off. Stock is sittin in the shop soaking up linseed oil as I type.

Does anyone know of a good smith in the Denver metro area to head space her?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the best place to find info on your Mauser M-48.
Parallax's C&R Collector's Firearms Forums.
pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums
There is a board just for the Yugo Mausers.

I bought my M48 from Big-5 in Washington, I paid $130 for it. I love it.  It is dead on accurate from 100 yards. I use the Turkish ammo, I have had no problems with it at all.  Recoil?  What recoil...
I shot over 200 rounds up at the GF pit in Wa.  When I get back I am going to get me another one.
Sign up for the bayonet serial number exchange, you might get lucky and get the bayo that matches your rifles serial number.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top