Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 1:33:57 PM EDT
I've been looking at the USC for some time now, but have not had the opportunity to shoot one... I've not been able to find one locally so I'll need to order, so a few questions...

To those who own or have shot one, is it something you recommend?  How does the weapon appear for long term hard use?  Any shortcomings or pitfalls?

My biggest concerns are durability and egronomics... My other HK's have all been first rate, and I'm assuming the USC is the same...

But they say that assumption is the mother of all screw ups, so I'm looking for some real world answers...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you waste so much money on a gun? Hi-caps are nonexistant, not to mention being saddled with the .45acp rd for a carbine, somewhat anemic for a carbine, IMO.

I'm certainly not knocking H&K as I own 3 of them but the USC is a solution looking for a problem, IMO.

Why not go the AR M4 route?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This is why I've been a bit reluctant to pick up the USC... Limited to 10 round magazines, and a bit on the pricey side.  I was curious if the quality and design of the weapon justified it's asking price...

My ArmaLite and Bushy lightweights built up by KKF will always be my go-to rifles, the USC would end up being as much a toy as a hard use firearm...

Since I've debated buying a USC this long, that most likely means I really don't need it, but I do like the idea of ammo compatibility with my 1911's...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to remember a couple of years ago that HK had a recall on some USCs. Something about the durability of the cocking handle. On the lack of hi-cap mags for the USC, there is an immediate solution if you want to sink more $$ into it. Tactical Weapons has a Grease Gun lower for the USC. Once installed, you could use cheap 30-round Grease Gun Mags in your USC.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The USC can be very cool.

If you sink money into it to make it look like a UMP. Otherwise it just doesn't work.

I didn't have the money to make it like I want, so I didn't buy one.

"Designed by lawyers" a HK rep bitterly said to an HKPro.com member in Europe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Darkstar I just bought a USC and love it. It appears that it is a very sturdy gun. And top thing it is very accurate. I understand that this is a AR-15 world in this forum but I think at 100 yards and less I would put my USC up against any open sight ar-15 on the board. I do own AR's but there is something about this USC that I really like. As far as high cap mags hpw much do you need them I know this is going to start a war but I would rather be good enough with the weapon to hit you with 1or 2 shots and do the job that shoot 30 and not hit you (this is just my oppinon). As far as being costy If you look at some of the AR-15 on the market you will find that H&K isnt that far off the market.

DarkStar I think if you like it get it you wont be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you sink money into it to make it look like a UMP. Otherwise it just doesn't work.

Funny, every time I pull the trigger on mine or my friends they go bang and work without malfunctions whatsoever. Of course these are bone stock and without any add-ons or mods.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Darkstar, I have owned my USC for over a year now and its a keeper. The ten round mag was an issue until i picked up some mag cinch devices for the gun and now i have twenty rounds of firepower over the single 10 rounder. The USC is and eye grabber at the range and everyone that observes the little grey beast dusting off bowling pins at 50 yards starts to make there way my direction for a closer look. Comments of some toy made by Matel by some shooters or a gimmick from Toys R Us is generally the norm from the boys that wish they had one. I have lot of people asking to shoot the USC as mine is mounted with the Aimpoint Comp ML and vertical forearm grip. Several months ago a gentelman (Spine Guy) from HKPRO was offering a slide on barrel shroud that imitates a quick release can, It provides USC with the bad ass factor.

With the Aimpoint, forearm grip and fake mock can the USC is almost as good as the HK94 and presents something totally differnet and unique. Good to go.      
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, every time I pull the trigger on mine or my friends they go bang and work without malfunctions whatsoever. Of course these are bone stock and without any add-ons or mods.

I meant "doesn't work" in a visual form really. I mean, 10 rounds, grey, thumbhole stock that I didn't find comfortable.

I just wouldn't want one unless it was black, with a pistol grip and the standard stock that Roverdave (or something) did on HKPro, and a SBR job.

Eh, but I don't like the greasegun conversion either. Mag looks weird.

Like I said, gun redesigned by lawyers. Hopefully the new owners will rectify it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Try one...you will like it.  Many among us will tout the 1911's and 45 ACP as a top shelf personal defence weapon, add effective range to 60+ yards w/10 of 10 hits on a 5" gong.  Thats what a USC brings to the party.

Hit a 1" thick steel gong at 60 yards w/any 223 round and see what you get...a hole as if you had used a drill bit, 230 grain 45 ACP and the gong swings...two or three hits and its knocked over in the dirt.

Don't forget to add in the "Fun Factor" while sending .45" 1/2 oz lead projectiles down range.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my USC. It's very accurate, manageable recoil, and reliable. I didn't like the grey color, so I dyed it black (cost: $8 for 3 bottles of black rit dye). Looks very different.

You can go the 30rd conversion route. I haven't heard of any problems with the modification, but I haven't done it because I don't like the looks. The mag-cinch is also my approach (20rds on hand). If you want to buy more than 2 HK mags, don't. At $40-50 a pop, your better off investing in the conversion.

Very soon we should have a modification to go to a UMP pistol grip and fixed stock. People are working on the design and legal issues as we speak.

Heck, the best part of "The Matrix Reloaded" was the UMP on the freeway. Now if I could just get the Hi-capacity magazine they used in the movie (about 800rds?)
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can go the 30rd conversion route. I haven't heard of any problems with the modification, but I haven't done it because I don't like the looks. The mag-cinch is also my approach (20rds on hand). If you want to buy more than 2 HK mags, don't. At $40-50 a pop, your better off investing in the conversion.

Very soon we should have a modification to go to a UMP pistol grip and fixed stock. People are working on the design and legal issues as we speak.

You didn't like the magazine angle either? That bothered me, how it comes straight down, but I guess there isn't anything you can do about it because of how M3 mags are built.

Honostly, if somebody does a good UMP stock and grip, and the parts count, I may take another look.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the input... I've taken the plunge and located a NIB USC... should have a range report next week!!!

A few extra magazines and mag cinches, and I fear my stockpile of .45acp is gonna disappear fast...  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought the USC because I always wished I bought an HK-94 back in the day when they were relatively cheap. At $3-4K they are pretty much off my list now (unless I decide to buy a sear). The USC fills this desire. The caliber is better and you still get to do the "HK slap".

I've already dyed it black, so the next goal is to convert it to a UMP look by adding a pistol grip and stock. Then I'm going to SBR it.

P.S. I did buy an MP5 for $225 the other week. Of course it only shoots 6mm plastic BBs, but what the hell, it's still full-auto! heavy.gif

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#14]
IMHO...Yes the USC is a blast to own.  Hell..mine's stock with ten rounds and a nasty grey color but it is one of the most accurate 45 carbines out there.  Not only is it accurate but is a cinch to clean and has hardly any recoil.  Six inch plates @100yds w/open sights will make you feel like a damn good shooter too!  It is really fun to shoot at those plates...Bang..pause...THUMP!
GemologistBLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody here have one that they woul dlike to sell?  I am looking for a used one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't like the magazine angle either? That bothered me, how it comes straight down, but I guess there isn't anything you can do about it because of how M3 mags are built.

Honostly, if somebody does a good UMP stock and grip, and the parts count, I may take another look.

The folks at SW could have angled the mag, but they didn't think it was an issue. It would have required some extra work, but it was doable. I had heard since they thought about reworking it, but what would be the point...it's the only game in town, so why monkey with it? Hey, am I the only one wondering why the proposed stock replacement from SW has an AR grip??? IMO, it looks odd.

Hey SperlingPE, take a look over at HKPRO.com. I saw a couple for sale.

H
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm, I may just have to buy the .45 kit for my Vector. Sounds like .45 may be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they (Special Weapons) have fixed the mag angle problem, also they have a UMP stock and grip package as well.
http://hk54.gunserver.com/forums/showthread.php?s=49199c41c9b1700f10ea6772ac6d39a6&threadid=2026&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Nice, very nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think they (Special Weapons) have fixed the mag angle problem, also they have a UMP stock and grip package as well.
http://hk54.gunserver.com/forums/showthread.php?s=49199c41c9b1700f10ea6772ac6d39a6&threadid=2026&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Nice, very nice.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!

It's fantastic! They did it all...UMP grip, stock. They even got a cant on the mag!

Friggin' AWESOME.

I just faxed my pre-order - arrives in...8-10 weeks. Any USC owners out there, jump on this fast!!!

Thanks for the tip BIGHAMMER, you're a one hell-of-a steely-eyed missile man!

hep

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Done and done! I'm sending mine in to have the vent slots cut into the handguard. Also seriously thinking of getting the SBR.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I seen one the other day, they looked pretty darn accurate to me, but I dont think what they are asking for it, and on top of the the mags are insanley expensive, just get a sig
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the opportunity to shoot the UMP, yes UMP, last weekend! Had a suppressor and plenty of ammo. Ran several mags and was very impressed. I need the real deal now.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I picked one up last week after reading it was no longer going to be imported. It is the easiest weapon to clean that I own and is fairly accurate and light. Recoil is light for a 45. Comparing it to my Bushmaster AR-15 it is not as "refined", but it is a well made weapon. Once i add a  Eotech and front handle, it will be much more of a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Hate to bring this back up but...

Any thoughts on what HK might do with these after the AW Ban runs out.

Mabey make them with (not sure if mag is double stacked or not) hi-cap mags. Take off the funky looking stock. Paint them black?

I would probably buy one if any of the above happened. I really dont know much about HK as a company though. I mean can they really be that PC?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
The problems with the cheesy configuration has nothing to do with the '94 AW ban, it has to do with the '68 unconstitutional distinction of sporting and non-sporting purpose arms.  The arms have to get an arbitrary OK from the director of the ATF for how well he thinks they are suited to sprorts.  So, even were there no AW ban, one would still have the same problem, unless HK would get around to friggin opening a damn factory in the US.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The problems with the cheesy configuration has nothing to do with the '94 AW ban, it has to do with the '68 unconstitutional distinction of sporting and non-sporting purpose arms.  The arms have to get an arbitrary OK from the director of the ATF for how well he thinks they are suited to sprorts.  So, even were there no AW ban, one would still have the same problem, unless HK would get around to friggin opening a damn factory in the US.  

You sure about this? If this were the case all the SAR1's (AK's) and all the other copy cat AW's wouldnt be here.

I  think H&K is just playing the PC game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top