Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 10:19:39 AM EDT
This rifle is a blast to shoot but I'd like to put some better optics on it. Cheap Holosight comes to mind (Bushnell etc.) Anyone got any suggestions? This thing looks evil evil evil!!

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
that is one awesome sks, how does the detachable mag work, reliable?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
that is one awesome sks, how does the detachable mag work, reliable?

Its a Model D, it was imported with the ability to accept AK-mags. Not many around, they are worth a tad more than the fixed mag version.
Its like an AK, it always goes bang when you pull the trigger. I've got a chinese 75 round drum that makes it look even more evil. I love to piss off libs...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
oh cool I didn't know if it was a conversion or what, is that a real folder or one of the ones that is fixed?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oh cool I didn't know if it was a conversion or what, is that a real folder or one of the ones that is fixed?

When the rifle was imported it had a thumbhole stock on it (BATF says thumhole=pistol grip).

The stock thats on it is a real folder and I have the kit to make it a non-folder if I choose. So, lets see...when it was imported it had how many evil features...
1.Semi-auto
2.Detachable mag
3.Pistol grip(thumbhole)
Doesn't that make it an assault weapon? It was imported in 93. Sounds like a pre-ban to me. But of course, I've been known to be wrong before.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey man!
You need to be VERY careful with the mods on that gun!
Check out some of the SKS sites/boards/forums and the laws of your state.
I'm not sure where you are, but it can get tricky.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
There has been a lot of disussion about the legality of putting a folding stock on an SKS. Most claim that is illegal to do so. I have never seen any indication that the BATF has equated pistol grips to thumbholes. I'd do some research on it. Sharp looking rifle though, Slacker. If I had one, that's the way I would want it to look. The ability to accept AK mags is a big plus.

SKS LEGALITY
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the warning guys.

NOTE: The California DOJ defines a pistol grip as one where the web of the thumb can be placed below the uppermost exposed portion of the trigger.

"EXPLANATION (taken from www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm) :  Curtis Bartlett, Acting Chief of the Techology Division of the BATF, writes in a letter to me, "Please note that a thumbhole type stock or a bullpup style stock may still incorporate a pistol grip."   I don't know what regulation he's referring to (if he even needs to), but I sure would like to know.  922(v)(1) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 states that "it shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon".  921(a)(30) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 legally defines and lists the features that comprise a "semiautomatic assault rifle" .   A SKS with a detachable magazine, pistol style grip, and one other listed feature is illegal to possess."

1911Greg,
here a a couple pics of what the magcatch looks like:

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the rifle was imported it had a thumbhole stock on it (BATF says thumhole=pistol grip).

The stock thats on it is a real folder and I have the kit to make it a non-folder if I choose. So, lets see...when it was imported it had how many evil features...
1.Semi-auto
2.Detachable mag
3.Pistol grip(thumbhole)
Doesn't that make it an assault weapon? It was imported in 93. Sounds like a pre-ban to me. But of course, I've been known to be wrong before.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it is a post ban. Anything imported after '89 is considered post-ban because it was an import. Now if you put enough parts on it to be considered a USA made weapon, then you could have the pistol grip and ditch the thumbhole stock.

Basically its the same thing as for a post 89 AK such as a MAK-90, which can have a pistol grip instead of the thumbhole,if you have 7 USA parts on it. But I'm pretty sure you can't have the FH or folding stock on it.

This is just my interpretation on the laws, but I am no means an expert but you will find this is the view held by many people.

EDITED: I believe the only way you can have it in the configuration that you do, is if it had the required 7 USA parts on it after it was imported and before the '94 crime bill.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey dude nice rifle. I have the exact same setup on my SKS Sporter D. I love the way it excepts the AK47 mags. I have two AK47's and it comes in handy to use the same mags in my SKS.

The only difference in yours and mine is I have a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider. I also have a different scope on mine too. But after seeing yours I might get a flash hider to go on it. Where did you pick yours up at?

Also I have a 75 rd drum but with my stock it wouldn't fit. I had to use a dremel on it and take a little off. Does your drum fit ok with your stock?

Again nice rifle and have fun shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to dremel my stock also.
The 75 round drum feed tower wasn't high enough to seat properly. I got the flash hider from cheaper than dirt. I get worse looks from the high power snobs with this rifle than I do with my AR. Screw em'
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey slacker thanks for letting me know where I can find that flash hider.

Also one thing I think that really makes that rifle is the metal heatshield. I forgot where I picked mine up at, I got it a few years ago from a websight. But if anyone was thinking about putting one on thier rifle, I say go for it. It fits tight and looks great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Um, Has it the SKS D models or the SKSK paratrooper models that were illegal in Cali after the Roberti-Ross assult weapon ban?  Just wondering, just asking for clarification.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey slacker thanks for letting me know where I can find that flash hider.

Also one thing I think that really makes that rifle is the metal heatshield. I forgot where I picked mine up at, I got it a few years ago from a websight. But if anyone was thinking about putting one on thier rifle, I say go for it. It fits tight and looks great.

Just make sure you have the right size punch as the roll pins are in tight. I think mine came with a new roll pin. I dunno, it was so long ago, I was a young pup back then.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the plastic punch dagger on the peg board :)

As others have said, beware of the legality of SKS mods. It is probubly the easiest rifle to accidently reconfigure to an illegal configuration. When you here about BATF busting individualls its usually Sten Kits and SKS's that do them in.

You should try to get some kind of forward (gas tube) mount for a dot sight. That way you can still use the stripper clip guide in the top of the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I love the plastic punch dagger on the peg board :)

That was a free-be from Choate with a stock I ordered. Useless but kinda cool. It'll go thru a metal detector...

You should try to get some kind of forward (gas tube) mount for a dot sight. That way you can still use the stripper clip guide in the top of the bolt.

I agree, a forward (scout) IER type setup would be nice.
I'm thinking Bushnell holosight or EOtech.
I don't have to worry about using the stripper clip guide as the rifle uses AK mags (its a Model D SKS.)
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a great looking SKS.

I had one very similar a year ago.  My Model D had everything yours had except the scope.  I sold it for $375.

I preferred the 20 round Hungarian AK mags for it.  They seemed the right size.

The reason I sold it was because I thought it was the poorest manufactured of all the Chinese import.  Mine seemed cheaply made, however, it shot great and was reliable.  You may have a better model than I did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1.Semi-auto
2.Detachable mag
3.Pistol grip(thumbhole)

None of the 3 make it an assault weapon.  It must be capable of select fire to be one, regardless of what spineless Clinton says.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1.Semi-auto
2.Detachable mag
3.Pistol grip(thumbhole)

None of the 3 make it an assault weapon.  It must be capable of select fire to be one, regardless of what spineless Clinton says.

Not disagreeing with the Clinton thing, but the 3 features listed only makes it a post-ban.  A post-ban AR has a pistol grip, a detach. mag, and is semi-auto. It needed one more to be considered a pre-ban, and for that it would have had to have it before 94 and after it was imported, providing you put on enough US parts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
1.Semi-auto
2.Detachable mag
3.Pistol grip(thumbhole)

Not disagreeing with the Clinton thing, but the 3 features listed only makes it a post-ban.  A post-ban AR has a pistol grip, a detach. mag, and is semi-auto. It needed one more to be considered a pre-ban, and for that it would have had to have it before 94 and after it was imported, providing you put on enough US parts.

What LarryG is saying is that to be a true assault weapon, it must be capable of firing more than one round per trigger pull (full-auto, 3-round burst, etc.); in essence, a military firearm. What the government calls an "assault weapon" really isn't one by definition. Their definition of an assault weapon is a semi-auto rifle that accepts detachable mags, has a pistol grip, and any of the following: bayonet lug, flash suppressor, or folding/telescoping stock.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hmmmnnn...I need an SKS next

I got one I'll sell ya. Folding stock and all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought you said a "cheap" holosight? Anyway I'd go with the EOTech, the new ones are really nice and I think it's an excellent choice for an SKS. I had an older model on an AR and it worked great out to 200. I put an ACOG on it though because I wanted something good for out to 400 - 600.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Troy.
Looks like its a tricky game when it comes to the SKS. I'm going to bury it in the back yard and forget about it. That should solve any legality issues.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
after 11/90 the folder is illegal,pre 94 hi cap mag legal/post 94 us parts required to stay hi cap legal
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember buying my sks-D years ago for $120 bucks. It was new in the box and I just sold it a few months ago for $320 to fund a pre-ban AR. I remember the shop I bought it from had stacks of those d models- only wish i had bought a few more. Ive seen the D models that came with the monte carlo stock that really look sharp.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw one of these D models in a shop today.No T HOLE Stock and it had the Pig Stiker on it.Looked like all the other SKs but took AK Mags.Is it a PreBan??How would I tell??Thought 400 was a Tad high but may go back and take a closer look.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I got one of these Mod D actually a Sporter.

It had the thumb hole stock when purchased, though I found a Monte Carlo stock, and use that now.

Never shot it...........actually with the prices of an AK (Romanian) less than $300 (wholesale).  I can't get myself to really get all that excited over the SKS D.

So, it stays in the safe.

IMHO, I wouldn't pay more for an SKS D (unless I collected SKS).  I'd rather spend my money on an AK.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#31]
My first AK type rifle was a Valmet M62 that i got back around 1976.  It was stolen in 1981, and I was left w/six AK type mags, 7.62x39 loading dies and cases, and nothing to use them in.  About 1984 I spotted what apparently was a Viet Nam bringback SKS at a gun show (no importer marks), and bought it to at least have something to shoot the ammo in.  Couldn't leave well enough alone, so I went ahead and converted it to use the AK mags myself, about a year later.  The only parts I had to add were a modified M14 mag catch, a pin to retain it, and a piece of scrap steel to use as a shelf for the front lip of the mag.

Over the years I've gone ahead and added different mods.  Cut the barrel back to 18", removed the bayonet mounting sleeve behind the front sight, put a Chinese issue plastic type stock on it; stuff like that.  It's still my favorite "tinker with" piece . Most recently I installed an RPK type rear sight, with windage adjustment.

Only problem I've ever had w/it is that it won't reliably feed softpoint ammo. Full jacket and hollow point are 100%.  Something about SKSs seems to inspire the tinkerer in its' owners.  How often do do see one that hasn't been played with in some way?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Fuck trying to abide with the bullshit 94 crime bill.  Do whatever you want with the damn thing!

McBalming
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey Slacker, I though you said you had a machinist make all the parts necssary to make it considered a US mfgrd rifle...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from the range... shot my 'new' (30 yr old) Yugo SKS for the first time. It was just about as accurate as my AR, but a hell of a lot heavier. I have the model w/ the grenade launcher and the bayo - I got some funny looks. heh heh heh
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey Slacker, I though you said you had a machinist make all the parts necssary to make it considered a US mfgrd rifle...

Uhhh...yea, sure I did.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Whenever I see a gun of questionable legality I remember that it's not my business, and I don't really care anyway.  That pretty much prevents me from commenting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Whenever I see a gun of questionable legality I remember that it's not my business, and I don't really care anyway.  That pretty much prevents me from commenting.

I think you just commented.
My local hardware stores sells metal letter stamp punches for a couple bucks a pop.  The letters "U" and "S" come to mind...  that and a hammer...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#38]
all this talk about sks's.....
kind of makes me kick myself when I remember passing on one of those funny looking Albanian sks rifles.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#39]
ok so for sake of clarification.

My Chinese SKS that I shelled out $120 for brand new in the grease on 4-5-90 can not legally have any of the above mentioned evil goodies on it?

lest I suffer hot pointy objects and thumb screws from the jbt's?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you just commented.
My local hardware stores sells metal letter stamp punches for a couple bucks a pop.  The letters "U" and "S" come to mind...  that and a hammer...

That is a blatant lie.  If you had thought, you would have realized I didn't comment on the legality of the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top