Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 1:39:48 PM EDT
I have a new Remington 700 PSS in .308 on its way. I want to squeeze out the most accuracy possible from this rifle, short of handloading my own ammo. What modifications should I consider, such as trigger, etc? I have had triggers adjusted to 2# on my previous model 700's, and thought they felt good with no creep. Should I do the same on this one, or should I pick up an aftermarket trigger? What are some accurate factory loads that I should use? What about barrel break-in? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys mean to tell me no one knows how to get the most accuracy out of a bolt-action rifle? Come on, guys, please help me out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with Black Hills Match ammo in both 168 and 175 gr. I used some Winchester 168 gr. Ballistic Silvertip this weekend at 200 & 300 yards with excellent results. I would also should a good bedding job on the stock even though it has the bedding block.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel Breakin is important. The one thing you can do without spending any money. The process is longer with jacketed bullets, but in the long run, it's the best. One shot, bore cleaner, lub. Do this with any ammo. That conditions the barrel. # of rounds is debated all the time. Most experience improved accuracy over the first 2-300 rounds. After the 1st 25, clean and lub after each 3 shot group. The last phase of cleaning, dry patch to remove excess oil. In case you don't have one, a bore guide, and soild rod is best. Avoid alum. rods. You'll find guys who want custom barrels, do a good breakin and see what you get.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. I have a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44AO scope lying in my safe, so chances are that it will be the one I mount for now. It has a fine crosshair and 1/8" "clicks". I also have a set of matte-finish Leupold two-piece bases and rings for the Remington 700. Sound sufficient? I will also have my local gunsmith turn the trigger down to about 2#. I realize that is not a difficult procedure, but I do not have a scale to measure trigger pull weight. Any more recommendations? Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello,

M4Madness
ok barrel breakin was covered , you will fine that your rifle barrel groups will get smaller after a couple hundred rounds fired , that was my case with my 3 Pss . mounts and bases were covered , i know a good Ebay seller on Mounts and rings too. on triggers i use 2 Timneys and one factory trigger set @ 2 3/4 lbs. on ammo for your rifle you need to learn & invest in reloading . you will save money / be able to shoot more and find that load that your rifle likes . or find or meet someone at a range that will reload for you at a fair price. my rifles all shoot the same handload with good results.
here a link you can ck out some of mine , if you have any questions on reloading or setups drop me aline .
TargetShooter2

http://community.webshots.com/album/33442159wPrBdd
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, TargetShooter2. I have a friend who reloads many different calibers (including .308 for his T/C Encore pistol). He would gladly do it for free, but I just do not know if I want to go to the "trouble" of handloading all of my ammo. I realize that I will never appreciate the rifle's full potential though until I go that route. I guess I should give it more consideration.

Fixed your link:

community.webshots.com/album/33442159wPrBdd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top