Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 5:48:39 AM EDT
Just an idea, but if you don't live in a state like KA or MA, you can weld a mag into your post-ban lower and add evil features, right?

So, would it be legal to fabricate a metal feed tower for a Beta-C mag and weld that into your receiver?

Not sure about the legality as I think Beta stopped selling the feed towers to civilians. But what about making a metal FT for a legally owned pre-ban Beta?

Wouldn't want this for a main weapon, but it would be pretty cool for a night stand gun if you didn't want to fork out pre-ban $$$ and still get to have a flash suppressor.

Just an idea for a spare reciever laying around...
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If I put a thumbhole stock on my postban could I legally add a f/s ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the problem, though.

If you live in CA, where are you going to get this Beta C?
Import it into the state?
Do you have it already?
Do you really intend to ruin it, just to satisfy an unjust law?

You'd be better off moving to another state.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's the problem, though.

If you live in CA, where are you going to get this Beta C?
Import it into the state?
Do you have it already?
Do you really intend to ruin it, just to satisfy an unjust law?

You'd be better off moving to another state.

He was saying if you DON'T live in CA/MA... just ot clarify.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just an idea, but if you don't live in a state like KA or MA, you can weld a mag into your post-ban lower and add evil features, right?

So, would it be legal to fabricate a metal feed tower for a Beta-C mag and weld that into your receiver?

Not sure about the legality as I think Beta stopped selling the feed towers to civilians. But what about making a metal FT for a legally owned pre-ban Beta?

Wouldn't want this for a main weapon, but it would be pretty cool for a night stand gun if you didn't want to fork out pre-ban $$$ and still get to have a flash suppressor.

You probably would have to find a way to permanently attach the metal feed tower to the plastic beta-C, glue probably wouldnt cut it, and you cannot weld metal to plastic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no

why not ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no

why not ?

the thumbhole stock counts as a pistol grip under the 94 assault weapon ban.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, it would be legal.

-Troy

I'm not so sure that's true Troy. The BATF defines a SAW as having the ability to accept a detachable magazine and having 2 or more evil features. So if you welded a regular 30 round mag in then yes. But if you were to weld in a metal Beta tower.... then add all the evil features (flash hider, bayo lug, collapsible stock) that would then accept a detachable mag would it not? Because you can separate the Beta drum from the feed tower. Seems liek a detachable mag still to me... granted not as quickbecuase you'd have to unscrew it from the feed tower.

Of course I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV. I'm just trying to intuitively think this one through.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You probably would have to find a way to permanently attach the metal feed tower to the plastic beta-C, glue probably wouldnt cut it, and you cannot weld metal to plastic.

Here's another potential problem regarding legality. The feedtower itself would be permanently attached to the magwell-metal on metal. But the feedtower attaches to the base of the Beta itself with 2 screws (and 2 more to brace it up). Now if you removed the screws you could slap a plastic feed tower back on and use it in another AR in original configuration.

I do have a Beta mag, but am just day-dreaming with this idea. If it is all around legal I might go ahead with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ooop, Dark Helmet got that in there right before I did.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, the feed tower is held on via screws.  So, in theory, if you had a 'steel/aluminum' replacment tower for the Beta C, you could attatch the tower to it and remove the 'body' to reuse it.  But, by doing so, the  weopon w/ the attatched tower is..... not fuctional(???)  Unless you manually load it in the chamber(???)  

Something more permenant could be rivets.  Not easy to remove, but can be done.  Maybe a combination of epoxy and riveting.  Granted, the only way to load it is flipping the top open (I think).  It would be one cool looking weopon (& just think if it was a pistol....YIKES!!!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top