Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 10:10:25 AM EDT
Hey!  I'm not complaining!  But a week ago I was

I ordered a SA SG Dane from CMP back in February and it finally arrived today about an hour ago.  The yellow tag on the sling says it has a TE 2 and muzzle of 2+.  I need to look up exactly what those numbers mean.  All I know is 2 is pretty low

The receiver's serial number is in the 503xxx range (1942).  The stock and handguards are walnut.  The stock itself has some minor dings but the handguards are perfect.  I have a spare stock I am going to use on it for range work so I can save the one that it came with.

It has lockbar sights and a milled trigger guard.  The Parkerizing on it has just the right amount of wear on it (has lots of character).

I'm going to strip it down here in just a bit and see what other maker's marks are on the various bits and give it a good cleaning as well.

I'm quite glad I went with the CMP route instead of buying one of the new Garands Springfield has available.  Holding a piece of history in your hands, not knowing where this rifle has been, if it saw actual service or not, is beyond words.

Now I need to save up for my next CMP purchase

Here's just a couple pics.  Pretty representative of what the rest of the rifle looks like.  I have yet to take a full pic of the rifle.  I did clean up the stock with some 0000 steel wool, mineral spirits, and 2 fresh coats of Tung oil.  Other than that I have done nothing to it.  I was able to get exactly 2" groups off a bench at 100 yards using the Korean/PMC surplus M2 ammo.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
OH YEAH,
GOTTA SEE IT
GOTTA SEE IT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
cool!!!

tried the S/N lookup yet, to find out it's lineage?

www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html

I got mine thru the DCM (pre CMP).. not a war veteran, but NIB korean war era...

all this talk of these WW2 era ones has me wishing I had the money now to pick one up for historical purposes

OOPS... I guess you did look it up!  my bad
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Pictures?

Got my M1 in April. Only had to wait 12 days, but it's a SA/SG.

Waiting for some cash to come in so I can order my other 7 for the year.

BTW; post a pic

ED
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, you did very well. the TE stands for throat erosion and muzzle stands for muzzle wear. they are indicators of how much use the barrel has had and yours is not new, but quite good. Your rifle has had 1000-2000 rounds fired through it since the barrel was installed. BTW, is it a USGI barrel or a danish VAR? I'm waiting on one myself, order was recieved back on 4/2.

take it to the range and let us know how it does, it should be pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The reciever is 1942 dated with an original June of 1944 barrel on it (the month/year of D-Day).  Pretty cool eh?  I'm still working on getting pics of it uploaded.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT for the pics
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Great looking rifle.

My M1 was made in early July of 1942 (I like to think July 3rd - my dad's birthday)

Have a look over on www.battlerifles.com
, they have a lot of info over there and a good section about cleaning the stocks (putting them in the dishwasher - it works - I did it).

I'm also waiting for more funds to buy my next M1 and another 03.

ED
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, just wow. Beautiful. Congratulations Seth!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
sure is a nice rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top