Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 8:53:14 PM EDT
I see Wolf is making a 168-grain load in .308.  Has anybody tried it?  It might be a decent practice load.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO only thing i would feed with wolf would be an ak.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree about the availability of good surplus M80 ball on the market.  I've got plenty of Port. and Aussie ammo but I was thinking the Russian 168-grain ammo might be a nice practice load if it has similar ballistics of 168 match ammo.

I've shot a bunch of Wolf 7.62x39 in my VEPR and have been pleasantly surprised with the accuracy and consistancy of this stuff, especially for the price.  I've also been pleased with Wolf's .45 ACP ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
PMC makes a cheap match ammo in 168.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
is surplus 308 not cheap enough??  I would buy indian before I put wolf through my M1A
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf .223 shoots like crap in my AR but Barnaul .223 is very accurate. Barnaul makes a .308 also which I would buy before buying Wolf. That said, the low cost (relatively) of Aussie and Port seems to make them the better choice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The reason I expressed interest in the Wolf ammo is because they show a 168 BTHP load.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I hear with the 223 steel case. Its hard on the chamber and may get sticky. So if the wolf 308 does not have a brass case I would not shoot it in anything that was a keeper.

I have shot thousands of rounds of wolf through a 1911. I can tell 1 out of 100 shoots about 3-400 FPS. And some don't eject. So it makes good clearing practice ammo. I also soak the barrel every so often in lacquar thiner to clean the chamber. All in all Wolf is bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
      Shotar says:  "How is it that people with no direct experience...think they are entitled to spout off opinions on the stuff as if they are some sort of expert..."

Shotar- this is the INTERNET!  Al Gore invented it for just this reason.

+1 for Wolf ammo.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe all the new Wolf ammo has poly coated cases instead of the laquer, so that should help when used in U.S. made weapons.  It's still more expensive than surplus (think I've seen a 150gr. as well), but if they brought it down around 7.62x39 prices (doubtful), I'd use it.  The .45 and 5.56 has worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never run Wolf through my guns. That doesn't mean I don't have experience with it. It also doesn't mean I've asked several people who's opinion I rate highly. If it has laquer and a steel case it ain't going in my guns. Does the new polymer have a steel case?

I can buy plenty of cheap practice ammo that works fine with out a coating or a steel case so why bother?

Wolf is crap. If I had an AK I might run it, other than that, why use it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought about 500 rounds of russian 30-06 Im not for sure but I think its Burnaul (spelling) Im not gonna say its the greatest thing ever but for $2.75 a box Im not complaining. As for wolf .308 I plan on giving it a try in the future but have plenty of surplus to last me for now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of wolf and never had any problems, exept my usp does not like the bullet style they put on the 40s&w round, but in the 223 it is fine.  If it is cheaper than surplus on the market now that would help sway me to buy.

Like  shotar said I fire way too many rounds at classes to over look wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How is it that people with no direct experience with wolf think they are entitled to spout off opinions on the stuff as if they are some sort of expert or even knowledgeable.  Now, I'm not gonna say that its the best thing on the planet, but it won't hurt your gun and if it would, you have a defective gun.  In 5.56, 7.62x39 and .45acp, I shoot only wolf for practice and have never had a problem or any wear out of Bushmasters, Colts, AKs or sks.  Chrome or no chrome didn't matter.  Pay more for blasting ammo if you want, but don't criticize what you have never tried.

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I have and SKS and I had an AK, and ran nothing but wolf through them both, never had any problems. I also shot quite a bit of it through my Makarov, no prblems there, either.

I put some through my Bushmaster, and it didn't take too kindly too it. It ran, and cycled all of it, but after about 200 rounds, it began to run kinda sluggish. It didn't perform all that well downrange, either. When I cleaned it, it was getting green crap out of my chamber (I know the new wolf stuff doesn't have the laquer anymore).

I would probly give Wolf a shot in my M1A. I would buy a couple boxes and see what happens, but my expectations wouldn't be all that high.

FWIW, when I was stationed in CA, one of the local indoor ranges barred the use of Wolf ammo. Their reason was that customers were renting range guns, and putting the Wolf ammo in them, and they had a couple of KBs. Knee jerk reaction, perhaps, but there it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top