Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 5:43:09 PM EST
I've never used Wolf .223 ammo, but have had good luck with their 7.62x39 stuff. What are the problems that people have encountered with their .223 stuff? I've heard alot of people swear against it, but I would like to hear why.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:54:51 PM EST
Due to the lacquer casing, it would void OLY ARMS lifetime warranty on their AR rifles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:00:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2003 6:08:39 PM EST by markm]
The shooter to the right of me in my patrol rifle class had a couple of Failure to fires and one stuck case. He borrowed my cleaning rod to tap it out. Not horror stories, but unacceptable none the less.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:32:06 PM EST
No problems except for one dud out of about 3500 rounds so far. If the chamber is 5.56 chromed and you keep it clean, you should have no problems with Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:34:34 PM EST
It's worked great in my AR-180B. A bit dirty, but that's it.

I think the horror stories about Wolf .223 come from that most people with .223 rifles have AR's and such. Wolf shouldn't be used with the AR gas system. Too damn dirty. Most 7.62mmx39 is run through AK types, where that's not an issue.

With a piston, Wolf all day is fine, but I'd never run it through an AR-15, or in a pistol. It doesn't seem to work well in pistols.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:50:24 PM EST
Horror stories? No...it's just dirty and smells a bit funny when it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:42:49 AM EST
YES!
Don't use Wolf ammo EVER!

It caused my teeth to turn green, my hair to turn orange and for my toenails to fall out.

I use Wolf ammo in my Oly AR15 and never have any problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:50:04 PM EST
Thanks guys for the info. I was at the range the other day with a friend, and he likes to try out rifles to decide what he wants to buy next. Bringing his own ammo is his way of being polite, and it's normally what he plans to shoot if he plans to buy a similar weapon. I have one rifle in which I only run my personal handloads through, and I do so more for accuracy and consistency than any other reason. Knowing he would want to shoot this rifle, I brought more than enough ammo for it. He had brought several boxes of Wolf .223 he wanted to run through it. I wasn't sure about Wolf's reliability or how dirty it was, and didn't want to take any chances.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:55:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By USNJoe_Retired:
YES!

It caused my teeth to turn green, my hair to turn orange and for my toenails to fall out.

You turned into an Oompa Loompa?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:25:05 PM EST
We run it exclusively in our rental M-16. No problems.

McBalming
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:31:33 PM EST
This one time, at band camp, the tuba instructor was using WOLF in her Colt govt carbine. It had icky goo running out between the upper an lower! All of us, though, had m193 running in our Hesses. They shot 1/4 moa at 400 yds. She was able to get 15 moa at 50 feet with that Wolf stuff! She eventually went on to live a life of shin splints, tv dinners, and corny internet ammo questons. She got audited yearly. She got put on a government watch list. She got put on SPAM lists! ALL BECAUSE SHE USED WOLF!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:43:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Breakfast_Fox:

Originally Posted By USNJoe_Retired:
YES!

You turned into an Oompa Loompa?

No, I think he turned into that guy who received a knee kick in Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider."
Top Top