Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 2:12:46 PM EDT
Woo-hoo! Wish me luck ;-) Did this last year w/16" AR + revolver no problem but that was a bit before 9/11.

Flying to Oregon on Alaska Air this Sat (PDT via PDX) to visit relatives in E. Oregon (La Grande)

Gonna travel w/AR10A2 308, Dissipator & Glock 21.

It will be interesting to see the look on the poor counter girl's face as I declare them and she has to "inspect" them (they will be broken down) - esp. at 6AM!!!

Why am I doing this? Cousin's never seen an AR10, and um, well, "because I can".

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just flew to the BRC and back with 4 declared guns - no problem.  Just show up early.

edited to say I didn't bother to break mine down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
1) Always take the original container for ammo. Ask me how much in $$$ I lost to this rule.

2) Insist on "Private" inspection, if they wish to see the guns. I dont show my guns off in airports, Private Inspection tends to make them trust you more.

3) I look like the Taliban, and I fly with no problems. Locked, Seperate ammo & fireamrs, no problems.

Its actually a LOT easier than you think...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
CavVet...

Yes, I suppose it still won't be too bad. Went like a breeze last time (AR 16" + revolver).

Not gonna take that much ammo up with me but I guess the factory box thing is a good idea.

(Hmm, 300rd 308 Portugese sealed battle packs?)

I know what you mean about 'private inspection'.
Last time I told the girl we should go behind the lectern and keep things below desk level so people don't get jumpy.

-Bill
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I got an "Oh my God" or two as well.  Pelican 1750 with an M4gery, a keltec sub2000, a 1911, a glock, and mags for all... hehe...

One ticket counter guy said "Those don't look like they are for hunting..."  Another asked if any of those were semi-automatic weapons like that would be evil.... the look on her face when I said "yeah, all of them" was priceless.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Pelican 1700 (the shorter rifle case) and a Starlite long dual-rifle case.  I think -we'll see tonite! - I can fit assembled A1 Dissipator (16" bbl + Elcan scope) along with the broken-down AR10A2+ACOG in the Pelican 1700, wrapped with towels. We'll see about the Glock 21 after that.

Starlite case may be a bit too long for compact rental car.

I'm also taking along copies of my Kalif. AW reg paperwork "just in case".

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The general attitudes around firearms "inspections" by geography are startling.

In North Carolina, at Raleigh/Durham airport, the lady at the ticket counter commented,

"Hey, is that a Real Model 13?"  (I have a model 13 in the original S&W nickel finish before the EPA banned the process).  She proceeded to inspect my sidearms, after my permission given, in such a manner that had I not been married...

To clear up misunderstandings, I had taken to carrying my badge (I was a bondsman) in my gun case, so there was no question as to the purpose or "legitimacy" of some of the hardware I'd routinely travel with.

I shall never forget the look of horror on the face of the lady at the ticket counter at LAX when she asked me about my firearms.  I popped open the briefcase, opened the lid, and turned it toward her so she could "inspect" them.  I thought she was going to throw up.  Speechless, she gaped for a long moment before I said, "Would you like to inspect them?"

"Uh..."

"Here, let me show you..."

"No, that's all right sir...here's your tag...you can close that up now..."

This, after she picked up the same Model 13 previously mentioned by the bottom of the grip with two fingers, like she was holding dirty underwear, making a face that indicated the same thing.

She didn't say much after that.

BIG difference in attitude.

Just my .02

Panz
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to travel a bit on the job. I always took my Glock 23 packed according to the airlines policy. Out of the 20 or so trips, only maybe 2 of the trips I had counter people that knew the procedure for checking handguns. They consistently had to check with a supervisor. I started enjoying it near the last few trips. The co-workers I was traveling with were almost as amusing. I brought up the fact I was checking a hand gun while we were in line at the counter. They usually got a little nervous. I just kept my cool and showed both the counter people and my co-workers that I knew what I was doing and it always worked out just fine. I wonder if that is why I was always traveling with different co-workers.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Edited to say: Oh yeah...Good Luck!!! Have a safe trip!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
bweise -

I'm doing the same but my destination is the Northeast

I spoke with several airlines and the rules have not changed since Sept. 11.

Far as a private inspection, I actually enjoy waving my firearms around in the airport. Fun to watch expressions , everything from panic to smiles to apathy.

Ticket agents / baggage claim has always been pretty matter of fact about it.

Good luck, and punch some paper for me.

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You will need it, not for your guns, but the plane is going to crash. Sit in the tail area, dont ask me why, just do it.
GG
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Garandman wrote:

I'm doing the same but my destination is the Northeast

I spoke with several airlines and the rules have not changed since Sept. 11.

Far as a private inspection, I actually enjoy waving my firearms around in the airport. Fun to watch expressions , everything from panic to smiles to apathy.

Ticket agents / baggage claim has always been pretty matter of fact about it.

Good luck, and punch some paper for me.

Yes, on my last experience the girll really tried to be professional about it and not react in shock even though I could tell she was taken a bit aback. And while I don't mind waving my ARs around I don't want SFO-PD SWAT or nervous nellie Nat'l Guardsman to freak out ;-) - but then I might be better armed than they are.

Garandman, indeed I will indeed punch some paperfor y'all. More likely it'll mostly be assorted "garbage" my cousin collects for targets at his ranch.

-Bill

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
GG,

WTF?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Arrival! (late post, been here for about 2 days, happy camper).  Flight cancellation at Portland changeover, but plenty of layover time to assure luggage got transferred to right flight.

Agents are reluctant to check baggage progress for average folks (they'd be inundated), but when I mentioned "three firearms", "excess valuation coverage" and "big green container" the nice lady agent at Alaska's PDX counter ensured that things jumped for me: she verified my luggage was indeed properly redirected to new flight, and asked someone to physically check for it on the trolley.  Since I was going on a PDT->PDX puddlejumper anyway, which boards 'from the tarmac' (i.e., no jetway) I could see my Starline case being loaded. Very refreshing.

No probs at SFO check-in. Long line, even at 5:30AM. Gal pulled out folks from mail line for next-flight processing, asking each of us if we had special requirements (prob for kids, disabled/seniors with wheelchairs, etc). I of course pointed to the Starline case and said I had firearms to declare. All of the Portland-bound passengers were pulled into a new line,
which moved quickly. Everyone, due to security, was being asked about special items including firearms, so I merely answered affirmatively. Trainee girl didn't blink an eye, reached down and gave me a firearms declaration tag to sign & put in the case - SHE DID NOT REQUIRE ANY GUN INSPECTION, unlike last year's trip. Only delay was when I requested an extra $1000 of "excess valuation" (kinda like insurance but kinda not ;-) and they couldn't find the paper.  

Excess valuation is insurance against loss, but I gather damage, etc. isn't covered. Don't have all the details, but domestic flights offer $2500 coverage - I bumped it up to $3500 since it was postban AR dissipator, Glock 21 and AR10A2 plus an ACOG.

Tomorrow & Wed are "firing days" ;-)

Hope I have the same luck getting home... thanks for all the good cheer previously posted. (Yes, my Alaska flight DID arrive, GG, and I *AM* fully alive.)

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top