Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 12:30:29 PM EDT
State representative Scott Gunderson's concealed carry bill (AB 675) is now
written, and has been referred to the assembly Criminal Justice Committee.
The text of the bill is available on our site at
www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com.

It's time to get on the phones, folks! Based on our contacts at the capitol,
we've been able to find out which members of the committee are for the bill,
which are undecided and which are against. Here's the breakdown:

Supporting the bill:

1. Scott Suder, committee chairman. (R-Abbotsford area)
1-888-534-0069

2. Mark Gundrum (R-New Berlin)
1-888-534-0084

3. Garey Bies (R-Door Peninsula area)
1-608-266-5350

4. Jeff Fitzgerald (R-Beaver Dam)
1-608-266-2540

5. Frank Lasee (R-Bellevue area)
1-608-266-9870

6. Carol Owens (R-Oshkosh)
1-888-534-0053

Undecided, or leaning towards supporting:

1. Suzanne Jeskewitz (R-Menomonee Falls)
1-608-266-3796

2. Gabe Loeffelholz (R-Grant County area)
1-888-872-0049

3. Tony Staskunas (D-West Allis)
1-888-534-0015

4. Wayne Wood (D-Janesville)
1-608-266-7503

5. Pedro Colon (D-Milwaukee, south side)
1-888-534-0008

6. Gary Sherman (D-Bayfield, Ashland areas)
1-888-534-0074

Opposed:

1. Frank Boyle (D-Superior)
1-888-534-0073

Position unknown:

1. Leon Young (D-Milwaukee, northeast side)
1-888-534-0016

We think the bill has a very good possibility of being approved by the
committee, but we can't take chances. Please call the undecided's to let
them know that you would like to see the bill pass the committee. Also,
please call the supporters to thank them for what they're doing!

It's also not too soon to let your own legislator know that you'd like to
see this bill pass. Don't know who your legislator is? Go to
www.legis.state.wi.us/wamltest/ to find out.

Let's get to work!

The Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info!!! I'll get on the phone first thing Monday to the undicided.As A correctional officer I would really appreciate the ability to carry legally.Do you really think this has a chance of going all the way???
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!!! I'll get on the phone first thing Monday to the undicided.As A correctional officer I would really appreciate the ability to carry legally.Do you really think this has a chance of going all the way???

Yes!  But the fact is that we need more people like yourself involved.  Right now the anti groups in WI are saying that the LEOs in state are against citizen CCW.  Even though many, including the Sheriff in Milwaukee say they're for it.  I assume you work in one of the prisons or something and I know that a lot of guys like you have LEO friends/connections.  Please tell all you buddies to get on this ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I WILL GET THE WORD OUT!!!!I cant put in to words how important this is.Iam printing the contact info for the undecided and plan to get to as many people as possible. If a lot of "us" contact the undecided they may be swayed.I dont think we will get another chance at this because this state is so liberal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
COME ON ! I know there is more people from Wisconsin on this board! We cant let this opportunity slip by! Contact these undecided folks so we can win this!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Muad,
 I hope you don't mind, but I copy/pasted your message over to Lake-Link.com, where there is a thread about the proposed carry law. Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't mind at all. Pass it along to whomever you think it will help.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
How did I miss this post?

Muad_Dib is doing an INCREDIBLE job keeping us all up to speed on this.  Thank you!

I wanted to get letters out three weeks ago but "something always came up."  Muad_Dib has set a great example for making this a priority.

My letters will be out next week.

The next question (for those who know the in and outs of the legislature) is how much weight a recommendation from CJ committee carries.  I'd put money on the PPA act passing the Assembly, but where do we stand in the Senate?  What do those in the know have to say about the Senate?  Are Risser and Chvala able to keep it from going to the floor?

I'm planning to go to the range this Thursday or Friday to blast some clays with my AR's.  I WILL NOT go if those letters aren't written.  Care to join me Muad_Dib?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did I miss this post?

I've been meaning to email you about this all weekend but hadn't gotten to it yet.

Muad_Dib is doing an INCREDIBLE job keeping us all up to speed on this.  Thank you!

You're welcome.  I thank you for the help I know you're giving us.

The next question (for those who know the in and outs of the legislature) is how much weight a recommendation from CJ committee carries.

I'm not sure but I'm hoping a lot.  I'll do some checking on this and see what I can find out.

I'd put money on the PPA act passing the Assembly, but where do we stand in the Senate?

You're probably right about the assembly.  The Senate is a little more iffy.  We need people to right their Senators and voice their support.

What do those in the know have to say about the Senate?  Are Risser and Chvala able to keep it from going to the floor?

I'm not sure if they can keep it from going to the floor if the majority wants it to be heard.  Again, I can find out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are the letters I received from Risser and Chvala:

The letter from Chuck Chvala:

Thank you for sending me an e-mail message to share your support for legislation that would allow Wisconsin residents to carry a concealed weapon.

In the days since the September, 11th attacks on America, some individuals believe that they would be better able to ensure their safety by carrying a concealed weapon.  As Senate Majority Leader, I believe the training our law enforcement and military personnel receive make them the best resource for responding to potential crime scenes or terrorist incidents.  Furthermore, law enforcement personnel have consistently opposed conceal and carry legislation in Wisconsin.

Once again, thank you for sending me an e-mail message.

Sincerely,
Chuck Chvala
Senate Majority Leader
16th Senate District

Letter from Fred (over my dead body) A. Risser:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding you support for legislation that would allow citizens of Wisconsin to carry concealed weapons.  

I have always opposed the carrying of concealed weapons by the general public.  Existing law only allows for police officers to carry concealed weapons and I am not in favor of expanding this law to include the general public.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Most Sincerely,
Fred A. Risser
President
Wisconsin State Senate.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm planning to go to the range this Thursday or Friday to blast some clays with my AR's.  I WILL NOT go if those letters aren't written.  Care to join me Muad_Dib?

You don't know how much I'd love to go to the range and blast some clays with you!  I've got finals coming up though and absolutely need to be studying instead  I should be studying right now.  Lets try to meet at the range or something after finals.  I'll e-mail you.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top