Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2013 6:18:05 PM EDT
I was given a Model 70 30-06. I dated it to 1953, serial is 288XXX. I cant seem to find out any other information on it other than that. It has a stock with some "designs" in it, but I can't seem to find a model that matches it with the stock. Can anyone on here help me out? Is this an aftermarket stock?

Also, what would be in the selling price. I would rate it in a 95% condition.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
that is the original stock, HOWEVER the designs are nor original. This was probably done by a gunsmith sometime in the late 50s through mid 60s. It also looks like the receiver was side tapped for a side mounted scope, which was also pretty common up until the late 60s

Aside from the stock designs the gun looks to be in great shape which is good, the designs and the fact that the receiver was side tapped for a scope though kill the collector value of the gun unfortunately .

Not to be a dick but I would put that rifle at between $600-$750. If the stock was left original and the receiver not side tapped that rifle would go for $950+

an original standard model pre-64 Model 70 would look like this
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The recoil paid is, I believe, not original either.  They came from the factory with metal butt plates.  Given the modifications, it is no longer a collector's item but they are usually good shooters.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that is the original stock, HOWEVER the designs are nor original. This was probably done by a gunsmith sometime in the late 50s through mid 60s. It also looks like the receiver was side tapped for a side mounted scope, which was also pretty common up until the late 60s

Aside from the stock designs the gun looks to be in great shape which is good, the designs and the fact that the receiver was side tapped for a scope though kill the collector value of the gun unfortunately .

Not to be a dick but I would put that rifle at between $600-$750. If the stock was left original and the receiver not side tapped that rifle would go for $950+

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/001.jpg
View Quote

I asked what it would be worth. Your not being a dick. Lol thank you for the information I'm thinking of selling it. Everything is in great condition. Bummer it has modifications on it though. Thanks anyways.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude....you are NUTS if you sell that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 50s era Model 70 in 375 H&H.  I am scared to shoot it LOL.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have a 50s era Model 70 in 375 H&H.  I am scared to shoot it LOL.
View Quote
Don't be.  The soft shoulder on the H and H cases doesn't generate the cracking recoil of more modern big game cartridges.

The .300 H and H is one of the most pleasant of the Magnum cartridge family, I am sure the .375 is fairly tolerable.

The .416 Rigby, on the other hand....WHEW!!!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I asked what it would be worth. Your not being a dick. Lol thank you for the information I'm thinking of selling it. Everything is in great condition. Bummer it has modifications on it though. Thanks anyways.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I hadn't spent so damn much on guns this year....I'd be IMing you like mad for that rifle

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I hadn't spent so damn much on guns this year....I'd be IMing you like mad for that rifle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its just another purchse.. lol...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
ARRRRRrrrrg!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARRRRRrrrrg!!!!
View Quote

ill be waiting for the IM.. hahaha
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL...my Girlfriend just said "Yay!!!  A trip to Vegas!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top