Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 2:18:01 PM EDT
I just bought a new toy, a Winchester Defender 1300 and I know that it can fire both shells and slugs.  My question is whether or not I need to do anything to the shotgun before I fire slugs through it.  The owner's manual said something about needing to put a rifled choke on the end of it first, but other places have said that it is not necessary.  Can ya'll help me out?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No need to install a rifled choke.
That completely ruins the versatility of the shotgun being able to employ a host of different ammunition choices without modification.
Purchase some Brenneke "rifled" slugs (the rifling is a helical pattern on the projectile- so technically, it is kind of bogus, as it is NOT the same as a rifled bore- but.......)
Anyway you should be VERY impressed with the accuracy. I typically bench my slugs at 50 meters to adjust the sights and feel it out.
If you are steady, you should be able to easily hit a man-sized target at 100 meters. Now that is lethal!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what kind of bbl you have and what kind of constriction you have on the end.
If it's threaded for choke tubes, you'll want to use a rifled choke, or a cylinder or improved cylinder bore choke.

If it's a slug bbl, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'm a bit confused.  So "as is", I can shoot slugs like the Remington "Sluggers" that are the 1 oz rifled slugs or I need a choke for those?  As far as the shotgun goes, I haven't done anything to it, it's purely stock.  I don't believe it has any threading on the end of it though.  I'm all confused.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
either the barrel/choke needs rifleing or the slug does
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You are going to have to help us out here.

The Winchester Defender comes with a fixed cylinder choke model and a model that has screw in chokes. Which one do you have? The fixed choke model will have cylinder bore stamped on the barrel. The model with screw in chokes will have a knerled nob at the end of the barrel.

If you have the fixed choke cylinder bore than the Remington sluggers are fine.

If you have the screw in choke model make sure you have a choke installed before shooting. Again use the improved cylinder or cylinder bore choke tube for the Sluggers and a rifled choke tube if you gun came with one for the expensive sabot slugs.

MIKE.

oh shit, sorry.  I am fairly ignorant when it comes to shotguns and this sort of thing.  The only thing that I see stamped on the barrel is where it says "Winchester Model 1300 Defender 12GA. 2 3/4 & 3 " , and I don't see a knob on the end of the barrel, it's smooth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
the defender  comes in two flavors, the regular defender, and the camp defender with a slightly longer barrel and interchangeable tubes.  is the barrel is pretty flush with the magazine, then it is the 18" barrel cyl bore plain jane barrel.

I think the confusion here is that the slugs say "rifled" on them and outwardly that wuld mean to most that they are intended for rifled barrels.  This is not the case with shotguns (everything is backwards and weird with shotguns, like they were invented by the British or something). A rifled slug is intended for smothbore barrels.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help fellas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry about that- I assumed that it was the cylinder bore barrel on the 1300, and SHOULD have inquired if it was threaded for interchangeable chokes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top