Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2003 8:28:00 AM EDT
Anyone have the Wilson/Scattergun Technology Trak-Lock sight on their shotgun?

Do you like them? Is the epoxy mounted front sight strong enough?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Best sights on the market!!! All the others have "protective wings" to protect the aperture and front blade if dropped. Scattergun sights are heat treated to withstand a drop of 4 feet onto concrete. During the 2+ years I gunsmithed for Scattergun, I never saw a sight danaged or aperture crushed/deformed.

No, the epoxy is not enough. We used to tell the boss that it sometimes came off and Wilson hasn't grasped that fact either. What we did at Scattergun was once the front sight was epoxied in place, we drilled and pinned the front sight. The Scattergun sight is designed to fit over a factory bead base. Once your epoxy is set up, drill through the Scattergun sight, through the bead base and out the other side. Then tap in the right size roll pin.

Very easy to do. We never had a sight come off if it was installed this way. Unless the solder on the bead base failed.

Give me a shout if you need better instructions.

www.thearmsroom.com

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The Trak-Lock is a great sight.  The only complaint I have is that the windage and elevation is adjusted by loosening one screw and manualy maving the sight.  This makes it hard to really hold on accurate windage while making an elevation adjustment.  Unless you plan to adjust your sight constantly, this is really not even an issue.    
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Scattergun has just improved their rear sight. I installed a set of their sights last week and they have made the elevation ramp steeper so you get more elevation adjustment.

Plus, they have made the grooves on the rear sight and rear sight base smaller so you get more precise adjustments.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've installed a set on my Rem 870 and love them.

I also drilled and installed a pin in the front sight.  Wilson Combat says it's an option from them if they do it.  (One more way of taking your moeny.)

I would recomend a good drill press and make sure you have the proper drill bit and tape for the screws that come with it.

I ordered my set from Brownells.

I've used my shotgun at numerous matches and during practice at the range for the past year and never had any problem with anything becoming loose.

I have my sights zeroed at 100 yds for slugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top