Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:40:36 PM EDT
I was told for the most reliable auto shotgun that will fire all types of loads even the most lightest that the Bennelli M1 is the most reliable.

How true is this?

I would hate to pay $800-$900 that this is not true as I tend to shot only light loads due to a bad shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:44:32 PM EDT
All indications say yes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:47:09 PM EDT
Some people say their m1 won't shoot light loads, but I digress!

I just bought an M1 about a month ago, and I LOVE it. It ate everything I fed it. I even shot cheapie wal mart ammo through it (winchester 1 1/8 oz. shells) and it cycled those just fine. I also used some 1 oz. trap loads through it withouta problem. The manual does say that it might not cycle light loads until it's broken in, but mine handled anything right from the box.

I love this gun! I just put the mag extension on, so I have more rounds to play with. I've also heard that recoil operated benellis (such as the m1, m2, and m3) don't like attachments on them. I'm not a fan of all the rediculous attachments on firearms anyway.

Get it, you won't be disapponted. :D
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:56:15 PM EDT
If you have a bad shoulder I would reccomend againt the Benelli. I bought an M1S90 yesterday and my shoulder is paying the price for it today. It cycled light winchester AA, and everything else that I could fit in the mag tube. I would not trade my M1 for any other shotgun in the world but it sure does kick like a mule, being light and recoil operated make for a much more pronounced recoil. Personally I would bite the bullet and maybe look into a gas operated gun or at least shoot a Benelli for a day before you buy one and make sure your shoulder can hang.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:29:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vtecrx:
If you have a bad shoulder I would reccomend againt the Benelli. I bought an M1S90 yesterday and my shoulder is paying the price for it today. It cycled light winchester AA, and everything else that I could fit in the mag tube. I would not trade my M1 for any other shotgun in the world but it sure does kick like a mule, being light and recoil operated make for a much more pronounced recoil. Personally I would bite the bullet and maybe look into a gas operated gun or at least shoot a Benelli for a day before you buy one and make sure your shoulder can hang.

Andy

Ah the little shotgun hurt your shoulder?

Just kidding, mine kicks pretty hard to, I still need to get used to it. For some reason my shoulder feels better shooting slugs than light loads?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:28:18 AM EDT
Slugs aren't too terribly bad compared to some buckshot that it is out there. for any extended shooting session like yesterday I will definately go for low recoil flavors of buckshot. I shot 300 assorted shotshells yesterday without so much as a hiccup.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:48:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 8:14:40 PM EDT by Ridley]
I own the SBE, and it cycles light loads just fine, FAR better than the several 1187's, and brownings that my hunting buddies have. The only time i've ever had a problem, is if i hadn't cleaned or lubed it for 5 or 6 hundred rounds. A little clp every few hundred, and it will be 100%. As for recoil, maybe it is a tad more than some autos, but it is also weighs less than any other auto, and FAR easier to clean, and needs cleaning FAR less. The recoil is still LESS than any pump gun shooting the same loads. I routinely shoot hundreds of light rounds at a time, and haven't had so much as a sore shoulder let alone anything to bitch about. Must be some fuckin airsoft pansies around here or something. Now, try shooting a few boxes of 3.5" goose loads and maybe you'll have something to complain about, but you'll still appreciate your LIGHTER auto when you have a bag full of game stapped across your back. To each their own i guess, but there isn't a shotgun on the market that compares to a benelli, anyone saying any different is in a state of denial. Doesn't matter which one you get, sbe, sbe 2, m1s90, m2, whatever, they all work the same and can be configured to do whatever job meets your fancy, and will do it better than any other semi on the market, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:06:10 AM EDT
Mine wont cycle light loads for crap. That doesn't mean it isn't a great gun. It is, but only for its intended use. It isn't a gun for the dove fields nor the skeet range. Its a combat shotgun and is to be used with combat loads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:23:04 PM EDT
How light a load are you talking? If your gun won't cycle the bulk pack wally world shiz, then i would take it somewhere and have it looked at, or try a different lube or something. I never had a need to shoot anything ighter than those loads, so maybe we aren't on the same page of thought about shooting "light" loads, but those low brass 8 shot, cycle just fine for me. Thats what i use for doves and skeet, so YMMV, but i see absolutely no need shooting anything lighter than those.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:31:24 PM EDT
Federal bulk pack target loads. Its the same stuff I use for sporting clays, but that's in an over/under. Its just standard 3 dram, 1.25oz #8 shot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:36:11 PM EDT
Did any of you have light load problems at first, then after a while it ate them with no problem, or was it A-OK from day one?
I have an M3 that wont cycle jack unless the bomb squad delivers the shells.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:10:53 PM EDT
Mine has shot the 3 dram stuff since day one. In fact, as soon as i got the shotgun, i went out and and shot 200 rounds of the stuff without a single hiccup. I use Break Free clp, available at walmart, and it works great. I suggest you guys pull apart the buffer assembly, lube it up good, and make sure the spring is seated correctly. Spray a little clp in there, and on the rails and it should work. I do have the SBE though, maybe they make the others to a lesser standard jj. I imagine your cycling issues are from improper lubrication, or a buffer spring issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:24:05 PM EDT
My Benelli's will not cyle the Federal Sub Sonic 12 gauge shells. Other than that they will feed any other shell.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:28:55 PM EDT
Other than specialty loads, mine has worked with everything when I seated it in my shoulder properly. With lighter loads I have one or two problems from not being in my shoulder right. Not sure if would work if you ever shot from the under arms retention position.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:47:52 PM EDT
Mine cycles full power loads without any problems, but it does not like the lighter loaded frangible ammo at all......I was advised that as I shoot it more, it will function with lighter loads. I guess it needs a bit of a "break in" period.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 3:03:07 PM EDT by StealthyBlagga]
If the kick of a regular M1 is a bit much for you, you should REALLY look at the version with the rubber "Comfortech" stock inserts. When you see it, you think it can't make that much difference... let me tell you, the difference is HUGE. Almost enough for me to change from my 1187 .

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:32:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:
Being a recoil operated shotgun how the operator holds it, and the type of stock it has makes it more sensitive to lighter loads.

Using a pistol grip stock on the M1s or M3s eats up more recoil because you have two points of support at the rear of the gun rather than one, this can make it not want to cycle with lighter loads. Standard stocks are better if you want to use it with a wider variety of loads.

That makes sense, my buddy has a Super Black Eagle with a standard stock and it will shoot anything. My M1 Super 90 has a pistol grip stock and so far it only functions with the heavy loads.
I like the pistol grip though and would hate to have to change it out. I wonder if the light spring kit will work with the pistol grip stock? And then will it still work with the heavy loads after the spring kit is installed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:40:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
Mine cycles EVERYTHING without a hitch. I have the pistol grip stock and ghost rings on mine...I've even fired it from the hip and it cycled perfectly.

I just put the 4 shot mag extension on it, I hope that doesn't change anything, but I'll let you guys know if it does.

One awesome thing about Benelli's recoil system is they are SUPER easy to take apart!

What is the proper lubrication of these guns? I was told that a couple drops in the firing pin, and a couple in the spring in the bolt assembly, and a drop of oil in the "cup" on the recoil spring where it is seated in the bolt.

Do I need to put oil in any other place?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:03:55 AM EDT
mine fires the tactical loads just fine but... the low brass loads do not work. i just have to be sure to buy high brass winchester or federal tactical loads
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:36:26 PM EDT
As far as lubrication, i use clp to lube the rails where the bolt slides, the buffer tube assembly, bolt head and firing pin, and spray out the trigger group with clp, as well as use moly lube on all engagement points in the trigger group. Pretty much anything that moves should be lubed. The only time i don't use clp is when deer hunting, and then i use scentless oil. My Benelli sees the dirt, grit, grime, duckweed, and swamp about 100 days out of the year though, so YMMV. If mine was a safe queen that only punched paper like 90% of the benelli's on here then i probably wouldn't lube is as liberally. CLP won't hurt anything though, so be LIBERAL.
Top Top