Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2003 1:10:08 PM EDT
Will The UPS Guy Drop It Off By The Door? Is a signature required? I am not home much during the day. Can I have it shipped to an address other than what is on the license?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Every time I received a C&R firearm, I had to sign for it.  The boxes were always marked "Adult Signature Required".  This means over 21 years old, according to my UPS man.  

Handguns were shipped overnight.

I don't think that the C&R vendors will ship to any place other than the licensees' address.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The UPS guys around here must be wicked lazy then. They leave all kinds of stuff at my doorstep. Much of it says "Adult Sig". I betcha if I mailed something to myself with the Radioactive symbol on the side, it would still just get left at my door!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Every time I received a C&R firearm, I had to sign for it. The boxes were always marked "Adult Signature Required". This means over 21 years old, according to my UPS man.

There are three types of signature required labels with UPS (four actually, the fourth being just the little ones you add on after the thermal labels).
1. is just 'signature required' under the 1z number
2. adult signature required under the 1z number.
3. adult signatued required 21 years old. under 1z number.

1=signature required meaning driver needs a live signature NOT just a signed Info Notice.
2= any person 18 or older must sign for package.  Both 1, and 2. can also be 'indirected' to a neighbor meaning the driver can leave it with a neighbor who'll sign for it.
3=Adult that is 21 years of age must sign for the package at the address printed on the label, this type CANNOT be indirected.  The DIAD board won't allow that selection.

Our center manager says that the driver shouldn't leave it if it has the signature required stickers on it.  Sometimes this is overlooked. If the thermal label has the 'sig req' below the bar code the drivers DIAD board won't allow it to be driver released meaning he can't clear it without a signature.  If he still leaves it he must be forging the signatures you could see this by tracking the pkg either by phone or the UPS web site.  A driver will be fired for doing this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
SoCom...you know altogether too much about this subject.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
All depends upon the driver.  I had my last C&R rifle delivered to my next door neighbor who was at home and signed for it.  The worst part though was that he brought it over and gave it to my wife when she got home before me.  Now she knows I get guns delivered to the house.  Hmmmmm maybe they all don't look alike after all she mutters....................
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
They should never leave a "package" such as the ones you will be getting bu the door. It is not only against company regs but also illegal. It has happened to me a few times but these last few years they have gotten much better. Of course the UPS and FedEx distribution center are only a few miles from me so when I get the little yellow love note from the driver all I do is log on to the UPS/FedEx site, do a delivery change to pick it up at the distribution center and then pick it up the next day on the way home from work.
A quick warning. There is one company out there that ships C&R handguns by the US Mail. It is illegal and I hope they do not get caught but it is something to remember. At least they do ship them signature required.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am a UPS driver and know how some drivers deliver, it makes us all look bad when they do it improperly.  All packages are supposed to be left out of view (from the street) and out of weather meaning use a driver release bag (DR bag).
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]

The driver shouldn't leave it if it has the signature required stickers on it. Sometimes this is overlooked.

It is my understanding from 455SD, who is also a driver, that ACTUAL signature required is an optional service that must be purchased by the sender at time of shipment. Some people try to "get it for free" by applying the "Adult Signature Required" stickers without paying for the service and in that case the driver is not required to get a signature. However, you can contact your local UPS center and have all packages held if you're not comfortable with things left at your door.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The driver shouldn't leave it if it has the signature required stickers on it. Sometimes this is overlooked.

It is my understanding from 455SD, who is also a driver, that ACTUAL signature required is an optional service that must be purchased by the sender at time of shipment. Some people try to "get it for free" by applying the "Adult Signature Required" stickers without paying for the service and in that case the driver is not required to get a signature. However, you can contact your local UPS center and have all packages held if you're not comfortable with things left at your door.

Yep, your right.  It does vary from center to center though.  My center manager says if there's a signature required sticker on it, to get a signature.  And he sometimes has his supervisors put signature required stickers on packages to see if driver will leave them or not.  Some accounts still using the old style UPS shipping books still use the stickers.  If its a computer generated label the person shipping the package should key it in as signature required (paying for it) that way it'll scan that way and prompt the driver that it cannot be driver released.  Just like we used to be able to leave packages at apartments and condos on the 2nd day AFTER the receiver (consignee) signed the back of the Info Notice but our bldg manager has put a stop to that.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Socom, can you tell me why UPS always leaves me a love note marked adult signature required even when there isn't?  I can't have anything delivered to work and every time they do this it requires me to drive 20 miles each way to the depot and pick it up.  The damn depot doesn't open until 9 (when I'm supposed to be at work), is closed during lunch hours and closes for good at 6 and is not open weekends!  Not blaming you, but the past couple years UPS has gone to shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Socom, can you tell me why UPS always leaves me a love note marked adult signature required even when there isn't?  I can't have anything delivered to work and every time they do this it requires me to drive 20 miles each way to the depot and pick it up.  The damn depot doesn't open until 9 (when I'm supposed to be at work), is closed during lunch hours and closes for good at 6 and is not open weekends!  Not blaming you, but the past couple years UPS has gone to shit.

I honestly don't know why a driver would check that box on the Info Notice if the package didn't require it.  Do you have a safe area out of sight from the street that he/she can leave the package?  I know signatures 'count' more on the time study (everything we do is time studied) but I don't know why they would do that unless you had a claim for a missing package and UPS management thinks that it wasn't really missing (or a previous resident of your house did).  I know of a few address' where I deliver that won't allow anything to be left without a signature (because of high claims that UPS had to pay out).  Call your local center if you know the number (or when you're in there next time or call 1800-PICK UPS and ask the center manager that's in charge of your delivery area why the drivers are doing this.  It may be policy or it may just be that driver (who shouldn't be doing that).  I know in high crime areas nothing can be driver released (nothing can be left in Wash D.C. w/o a signature)  Sorry for the inconvience.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks...  I was offered a position in UPS's management training program out of college and I passed.  Back then they ran it with what seemed like military precision.  These days... well I prefer dealing with FedEx or the Post Office.  Nothing personal man, just too many bad UPS experiences.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks...  I was offered a position in UPS's management training program out of college and I passed.  Back then they ran it with what seemed like military precision.  These days... well I prefer dealing with FedEx or the Post Office.  Nothing personal man, just too many bad UPS experiences.

Management (at least at my bldg) eats its own.  Since I've been there (mid 2000) they've gone through 4 bldg managers, 3 center managers (my center) and 7 supervisors (my center always has 3 sups) my bldg has 4 centers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The topic of shipping USPS (US Mail) comes up from time to time and there is some misunderstanding of the law, in my humble opinion.  

It is legal for a dealer/manufacturer/ffl to ship a handgun or long gun (rifle) through the US Mail to another dealer/manufacturer/ffl as long as he shows proof that both the sender and receiver are eligible under the Post Office rules, no ammo is shipped, the firearm is declared and a special form (PS 1508) is completed, and the firearm is sent registered mail.  

Now before anyone starts saying I don't know what I'm talking about, I just returned from my Post Office where I shipped a Ballester Molina to another C&R ffl.  Had a long talk with the Post Master (manager) at the Post Office...he pulled out the regs and we read them together, he gave me the proper form to complete, I showed him my ffl and the receiver's ffl and he said it was well within the law and USPS regulations to ship by US Mail.

So, anyone here can say it's not legal...but according to the US Post Office and their book of regulations and their shipping form specifically designed for the shipment of firearms, it is legal.  If your local Post Office says no, you should challenge them and have them pull out their book of regulations on shipping firearms and ask about Form 1508.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Most of my C&R purchases have come through USPS. And I have to say that it's been a completely trouble free and pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a UPS driver and know how some drivers deliver, it makes us all look bad when they do it improperly.  All packages are supposed to be left out of view (from the street) and out of weather meaning use a driver release bag (DR bag).

Where's your route?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Where's your route?

I think you asked me that before, IIRC you're in Herndon.  I'm a cover driver is the Reston Center. The Reston center covers, Reston, Mclean, Vienna, Oakton and Great Falls.  The Leesburg center does Herndon.

The Dulles bldg in Chantilly has four centers Fairfax, Manassas, Leesburg and Reston.

I work in Reston 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The UPS guys around here must be wicked lazy then. They leave all kinds of stuff at my doorstep. Much of it says "Adult Sig". I betcha if I mailed something to myself with the Radioactive symbol on the side, it would still just get left at my door!

i get the same thing

i even complained about it

i live (or used to live i guess) in a townhouse complex where there where tons of young kids running around

this doof, even after i put a note on the door saying "I want to get my packages in person. Please do not leave them outside", left a big cardboard box containing 8 yugo SKS rifles and another box with two cases of ammo for them sitting on the dam step in front of my door.

i could have killed the guy. there craploads of 8-12 year old boys playing out in the parking lot 50 feet away from my boxes when i got home. had the potential to be a major f up.

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
left a big cardboard box containing 8 yugo SKS rifles and another box with two cases of ammo for them sitting on the dam step in front of my door.

i could have killed the guy. there craploads of 8-12 year old boys playing out in the parking lot 50 feet away from my boxes when i got home. had the potential to be a major f up.

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
My regular UPS guy is very well trained hehehe...he leaves my packages in a specified location, or if sig is required, he'll try next door on either side, accross the street, or 4 houses up (buddy's parent's).  

I always tell the shipper to ship "NO sig required", but many times it comes requiring one anyway.  

My turkish mauser was waiting for me on the front porch, along with 70 rounds of ammo.  NOT my regular driver lol!  Ah, if my neighors only knew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top