Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 2:01:09 PM EDT
I'll be loading up some Nosler 64-grain Bonded Performance Bullets in 5.56 cases and pushing them pretty fast. I thought I'd start with BLC-2 powder because I have it on hand. I don't expect any trouble in my 20" AR but is this powder compatable with the carbine's gas system? I don't want to have to sort loads between the two rifles so if there's an issue, I'll start with another powder. Thanks.

Edit: Ball Cee Twoo
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean BLC-2 right?

You shouldn't have a problem if its a good load for semi-autos I'd imagine, I haven't used BLC-2 myself but its in my Hornady load manual.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, BL-C2, thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, BL-C2, thanks
View Quote

it is good but be careful because it is temp sensitive (and can cause over pressure).  IIRC it was originally designed for the M-16 also
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I started loading with BLC2 and 55 grain FMJBT's awhile back.  It is proving to be a very good powder for metering consistency and accuracy.  So far we've shot it in 18", 20" and 24" barreled guns with rifle length gas systems and 16" barreled guns with midlength and carbine length gas systems.  Works great so far (functioning) and accuracy is right up there with IMR4198 and H335.

I loaded 600 rounds with it last week and in my random weight checks (5 charges weighed out of every 50 that come out of the RCBS Uniflow) most were on target or no more than 0.1 grain low.  None were high.  Two were 0.2 grains low.  That's 60 charges weighed.

BLC2 could become one of my favorite powders.  The only thing I've run through the uniflow that is more consistent is H335.  Every charge weight checked during the loading of 300 rounds (30) was dead on target.  Every charge of IMR4198 has to be weighed (if you want consistent powder charges - but I like the groups, so I do use it anyway).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear. How are your velocities in the 64-grain bullet range?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
BL-C2 and CFE223 have the highest powder charge weights for .223 and create the highest port pressures of any powder because of it. Muzzle blast and flash are increased as well.

I purchased 8 lbs. of BL-C2 back in the 80's and ended up using it for lawn fertilizer. I could never get decent groups from my rifles using it. Close to maximum powder charges were required to get acceptable accuracy. It never shot as well as other powders for me. I see people post nice groups on the web using this powder, that wasn't my experience. The BL-C2 I purchased was marked "government surplus" which may have made a difference.

I like faster burning powders with light bullets and short barrels. Especially when using a can.

H322
AA-2015
LT-32
RE-10X
N133

20.5 grains of H4198 is very accurate when used with 52/53 grain match bullets. It's a maximum load in several of my rifles. It functions 100% of the time in my carbine gassed rifles, some people have reported short stoking in rifle gas systems. Because of the light weight powder charge muzzle blast and flash are reduced considerably. Almost all of the powder is completely burned reducing blow-back when using a can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well alright then, I'll go ahead as planned. If it doesn't work out I'll complain later!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My bulk 55gr loads use Win 748 or BLC-2, whichever I can find 16lbs of cheapest at the time.

I use these in an 18" rifle length gas system DD upper as well as a factory Colt 6945 10.3" upper.

I've noticed no difference in the W748 loads compared to the BLC-2 loads, save for a different charge weight used to obtain the same muzzle velocity.

Neither have done any 'damage' to either gas system, suppressed or unsuppressed, for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny enough,  I got one of the discounted Walmart marlin .45-70s and wanted to shoot my PC WW 405 gr boolits. The only powder I had in my limited supply that I could find data for was for BLC-2.

loaded up some mild to upper mid range loads. She is a thumper, but the low to low-mid range loads were accurate.

got more test loads to try out this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top