Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2003 3:35:18 PM EDT
Just a few pics of my wifes new rifle. We got a great deal from a board member on a Israeli Arms International M1 Carbine. Picked it up from my FFL this morning. She cant wait to get out and shoot it. Bout the only thing it needs it some more mags, possibly a Choate pistol grip stock, and a tac sling. This is going to be her main fighting long gun. She does however have plans to get one of the new Beretta Storm carbine's in 9mm to set up as her CQB gun. The M1 though handles MUCH better for her than her 9mm AR did, and lets her carry LOTS more ammo, MUCH easier. Not to mention, its a bit more potent at extended range (100 yards for her) than the 9mm would be.

It has the coolest pattern in the wood. Its like a Tigerstripe camo pattern.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That rifle is beautiful.  Don't change a thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing would be is if she decides she wants the Choate pistol grip stock. This rifle is going to see lots of use, especailly in our carbine club, and I'd hate to mess the wood stock up. Might also get Kurt to refinish it in a black poly finish, to give it a bit more weather protection. Its not a wall piece mind you, this one is to be shot and used. Now to start stocking up on some ammo for her.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
These are great little rifles and definitely underestimated.  My first rifle was a Universal M1 Carbine.  I got it for my 15th birthday.  I loved that gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
These are great little rifles and definitely underestimated.  My first rifle was a Universal M1 Carbine.  I got it for my 15th birthday.  I loved that gun.

I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of one with even a half way skilled marksman behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only thing would be is if she decides she wants the Choate pistol grip stock. This rifle is going to see lots of use, especailly in our carbine club, and I'd hate to mess the wood stock up. Might also get Kurt to refinish it in a black poly finish, to give it a bit more weather protection. Its not a wall piece mind you, this one is to be shot and used. Now to start stocking up on some ammo for her.

Use multiple coats of Tung Oil it'll waterproof the wood like on the originals.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If you go with the Choate pistol grip stock you'll have to ditch the bayonet lug.  From my understanding these IAI M1's are new made, therefore you only get to have 1 evil feature & currently hers has the bayonet lug.  Another thing, the Choate pg stock has a longer length of pull than the issue stock.  Not an issue if your wife is a tall Xena/amazon type but myself at ~6' found the issue stock much more comfortable & quicker handling.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
She does however have plans to get one of the new Beretta Storm carbine's in 9mm to set up as her CQB gun.

I think that the Carbine, loaded with good soft points would be much more desirable than 9mm anything, unless you were feeding it +P+.  There's also the advantage of more readily available 30-round mags for the Carbine.  Ultimately, though, if she's more comfortable with the Beretta, it's still a good choice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you go with the Choate pistol grip stock you'll have to ditch the bayonet lug.  From my understanding these IAI M1's are new made, therefore you only get to have 1 evil feature & currently hers has the bayonet lug.  Another thing, the Choate pg stock has a longer length of pull than the issue stock.  Not an issue if your wife is a tall Xena/amazon type but myself at ~6' found the issue stock much more comfortable & quicker handling.  YMMV

I had a Choate on my previous M1. I really liked it. Not sure what we are going to do yet. Have to wait until she shoots it see how she likes it. No biggie on the bayo lug. Already thought of that, dont think she is going to be sticking anyone anytime soon, though we do have a bayo for it. Sept 04....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She does however have plans to get one of the new Beretta Storm carbine's in 9mm to set up as her CQB gun.

I think that the Carbine, loaded with good soft points would be much more desirable than 9mm anything, unless you were feeding it +P+.  There's also the advantage of more readily available 30-round mags for the Carbine.  Ultimately, though, if she's more comfortable with the Beretta, it's still a good choice.

Already have both those things planned. However, the 9mm Beretta will give her a long gun with ammo compatability with her handguns. Not to mention we have copious amounts of 115gr +p+ 9mm that rocks out of carbine barrels. Also, the Storm will let her have a light and Refex mounted on it, much easier than the M1. That way she has both worlds covered.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
dang Hawkeye I want my rifle back!! I shoulda charged ya more for it. lol. i thought you would be surprised with the wood. i thought it was the best part of the rifle. hope you guys enjoy the rifle. oh by the way let me know how it shoots, i bet you will be surprised at how accurate it was.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
During my Army days, the M1 carbine was very inexpensive and the choice of me and my buds for personal weapons off post.  We spent a many a round in the swamps of Lousianna and fell in love with what the rifle was capable of.

Nice choice and I know you all will enjoy.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
dang Hawkeye I want my rifle back!! I shoulda charged ya more for it. lol. i thought you would be surprised with the wood. i thought it was the best part of the rifle. hope you guys enjoy the rifle. oh by the way let me know how it shoots, i bet you will be surprised at how accurate it was.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
During my Army days, the M1 carbine was very inexpensive and the choice of me and my buds for personal weapons off post.  We spent a many a round in the swamps of Lousianna and fell in love with what the rifle was capable of.

Nice choice and I know you all will enjoy.

Tj

You weren't stationed at Ft Polk were ya?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking rifel, and I mean NICE!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice wood. Tiger stripe Birch stocks are very popular with M14 enthusiasts. They have a method of finishing that really brings out the stripes. Inquire on battlerifles.com if you are interested. Interested in a genuine U.S.G.I. M-4 bayonet? It's the plastic handle version marked  U.S. M-4 Bren Dan (German made).
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Already have a bayo. Have one that saw action in Europe. Belongs to my father.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top