Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2002 10:37:59 PM EDT
We were cutting firewood up in Cumberland and I took along my AR-15 to do some varmint hunting(rats) on the farm/junk yard. I shoot four rats and went to pick them up and left my rifle at the truck, leaning agaist the back of the tail gate. Wife got into the truck and backed up, knocking down the rifle, then ran over it. The receiver is damage beyond repair, serial # is missing. I was not told about it till Thur, happen Sunday. Insurance is going to cove it. So how much is a pre-ban Olympic AR-15 cost these days? About $1200.00 a good price?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:45:19 PM EDT
Need to try to get the piece with the sn on it. You don't want another "pre" out of circulation. they should be able to "remanufacture" the reciever if you send them the damaged one. Again, you don't want another "pre" out of circulation.

Tate
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:53:08 PM EDT
I agree. Try to find the serial number.

Why didn't you find out about it until later?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2002 10:55:07 PM EDT by Bobthenailer]
I understand where you are coming from, but she is the one that pick up the rifle and parts. She said that she pick up all the parts that she could found. If I found those parts to the rifle, I will send it back to the maker and have them make me another rifle. Complete rifle, but right now I need another toy to play with. Any clue to the price to buy another one?

She thought I would be mad at her. But I not. I told her if we found the serial #, we can get it remade.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:17:30 PM EDT
www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?complex=1&custom=&lowprice=0&highprice=99999999&age=0&uid=&words=pre&category=1035&state=All

There are a few here in the 1500 dollar range.

Might want to check the equipment exchange too.

I think that I would have been forgiving for the mistake of running it over, but mad as hell for hiding it for a few days... Maybe that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:16:47 AM EDT
See, if you had had a GLOCK . . . she coulda run it over and no one would notice a single ding in the finish!

j/k, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:05:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2002 6:06:47 AM EDT by Redleg155]
This is a letter I sent to OlyArms and the reply in reference to replacement recievers on the 6th of March 02.

Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 12:03 AM
Subject: Replacement Pre Ban Lower

Dear Sirs,

I will be obtaining a Pre Ban SGW lower in the very near future and would like to have the lower replaced with a new one. What would the approximate waiting time be for this service?

Thanks!

And this is the Reply I recieved.

Subj: Re: Replacement Pre Ban Lower
Date: 3/12/2002 3:15:44 PM Central Standard Time
To: WatkinsPC@aol.com

Up to 6 months.
Jeff Nix
Domestic Sales

6 months without an AR is a bummer to wait. I would personally go for buying another. The insurance company is gonna put it on your record as a loss to them, so why not get full value. I wouldn't be too interested in saving the insurance company money at an inconvenience to you.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:58:40 AM EDT
I have a friend that is looking to sell his preban SGW Olympic CAR with a Commando Barreled A2 upper. I think he was looking for $1200 plus shipping. I got to see it Thursday night and it is very nice shape. He is supposed to get me some pics of it soon. Just a thought...
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:08:27 AM EDT
For what it is worth, there is a preban PWA commando on gunsamerica for like 950. DO a search for commando.

Sorry to hear about that
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:57:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2002 3:21:56 PM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:59:53 PM EDT
Campy...cool video showing the durability of an AK! Was enjoying my own MAK90 at tbe range today!
The screen for the video is very small when I play it and when I try to enlarge the viewing screen the picture becomes distorted. Anyone else have this problem?

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:21:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:47:17 PM EDT
a few years ago i set a hemmet on my M16. the amorer never did figure out why the damn thing shot six fet to the right!
i'm still surprised it didn't collapse.

ian
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:49:22 PM EDT
Why did you take a preban out popping rats?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:59:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:56:40 PM EDT
Man, that video was freaken awesome! I let that video rerun itself for like 10 minutes.

Thanks for sharing Campy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:49:36 PM EDT
ok that was just plain freakin stupid. why in the heck didn't she CHECK around here first. I always do a walk around of my car before i go ANYwhere. that is a very costly and STUPID mistake that could have been prevented by a few extra steps. good lord.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:49:04 AM EDT
You are a more forgiving man than me. I would have started divorce proceedings then.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:11:55 PM EDT
I ran over several M16s before, while leaving the motor pool in my humvee at oh-dark-thirty. Seems the rest of the platoon thought the front of my humvee was the place to set their bags & weapons. None of the rifles were damaged, but I remembered fervently hoping that nobody set their NVGs under a tire.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:19:54 PM EDT
That really sucks. Now I know why I got a bad feeling the few times that I have leaned a rilfe aginst the side to the truck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:25:20 PM EDT
There are many like it, but that one is yours.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:36:54 PM EDT
I got back late last night from Cumberland. I looked for hours on end, looking for the serial number. No luck. I thought I should be mad at her, but who is going to make my lunch for work. Plus she thought I had the rifle with me. So I filled out the paper work for the claim and wait for the money. I will be looking for a "new" one later.

Thanks for the replies.
BTN
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:45:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By grimshaw:
There are many like it, but that one is yours.

hehehehehehehehehe.........hehehehehehehehehe........hehehehehehehehehehe...lolololololololol............THAT'S FUNNY!!{the comment, NOT the rifle}
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:18:39 PM EDT
At least it was truly accidental....I have thought about doing it on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:09:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HkMom:
At least it was truly accidental....I have thought about doing it on purpose.

MOM, say it aint so!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:21:39 PM EDT
Hey, lucky you didn't tie your dog up to the truck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:58:09 AM EDT
There's are lessons to be learned here. First, never leave your gun unattended; 2. The value of a good woman, exceeds the value of a good gun 3. It's cheaper to replace the gun, even a preban, than to replace a woman.

My wife took my truck, I stopped her and ask where she was going, to her friends. Stopped at the mall and the S&W25, 45LC was history. I started to take it out, but straight to her friends and back was what she said. Took me a long time to get over that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:57:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2002 1:28:16 PM EDT by Wadman]
Did this incident occur on soft ground or concrete?

I've re-read the story a couple of times now and there's a lot going on. Please let me know if I'm not reading it right.

1. You were varminting at a junkyard.

2. Four rats were dispatched by 5.56 rounds.

3. You set the rifle by the truck to retrieve the rat remains.

4. While retrieving the rat remains, wife gets in the truck and drives off.

5. The rifle is smashed into many pieces.

6. Wife realizes what happened and hides what she can find. Serial number not being one of them.

The next part I'm kind of fuzzy on but here goes...

7. Some time passes and you both leave the junkyard.

8. Rifle parts are packed away unbeknownst to you.

9. Wife thought you had the rifle. But she picked up all she could find???

10. Rat remains are... nevermind.

11. A few days later, you are informed of your pre-ban rifle's demise.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:05:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bobthenailer:
I got back late last night from Cumberland. I looked for hours on end, looking for the serial number. No luck. I thought I should be mad at her, but who is going to make my lunch for work. Plus she thought I had the rifle with me. So I filled out the paper work for the claim and wait for the money. I will be looking for a "new" one later.

Thanks for the replies.
BTN

metal detector?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:05:57 PM EDT
why does a divorce cost so much?

because they are worth it!

lots of luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:10:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wadman:
Did this incident occur on soft ground or concrete?

I've re-read the story a couple of times now and there's a lot going on. Please let me know if I'm not reading it right.

1. You were varminting at a junkyard.

2. Four rats were dispatched by 5.56 rounds.

3. You set the rifle by the truck to retrieve the rat remains.

4. While retrieving the rat remains, wife gets in the truck and drives off.

5. The rifle is smashed into many pieces.

6. Wife realizes what happened and hides what she can find. Serial number not being one of them.

The next part I'm kind of fuzzy on but here goes...

7. Some time passes and you both leave the junkyard.

8. Rifle parts are packed away unbeknownst to you.

9. Wife thought you had the rifle. But she picked up all she could find???

10. Rat remains are... nevermind.

11. A few days later, you are informed of your pre-ban rifle's demise.

12. You spent the next five days oblivious to the whereabouts of a high powered rifle that was never properly secured...?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:11:27 PM EDT
hard compact dirt road.
1. No and Yes, it is a farm/junk yard
2. Yes, four round make four dead rats
3. Yes, so that the next door dogs will not come over that night.
4. Yes, even the upper look funny. I don't care about the upper, that can be replace.
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes, about five hours later
8. Yes, thought my wife was being nice to me.
9. She thought I had the rifle when she got in to the truck, and when she back up and look at her rear, she heard a metal snap. She got out and look.
10. Trash bag in the ground about two feet down.
11. Yes, that is after she called the insurance company to make sure that it is covered.
12. It was in the gun case that my wife put the dead AR-15 in. May it rest in pieces. lol!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:12:35 PM EDT
hard compact dirt road.
1. No and Yes, it is a farm/junk yard
2. Yes, four round make four dead rats
3. Yes, so that the next door dogs will not come over that night.
4. Yes, even the upper look funny. I don't care about the upper, that can be replace.
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes, about five hours later
8. Yes, thought my wife was being nice to me.
9. She thought I had the rifle when she got in to the truck, and when she back up and look at her rear, she heard a metal snap. She got out and look.
10. Trash bag in the ground about two feet down.
11. Yes, that is after she called the insurance company to make sure that it is covered.
12. It was in the gun case that my wife put the dead AR-15 in. May it rest in pieces. lol!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:21:42 PM EDT
Is she still in ICU. What hospital?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:30:35 PM EDT
She is not in a ICU. Good woman is hard to find. The rifle can be replace, but she can not be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:41:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bobthenailer:
She is not in a ICU. Good woman is hard to find. The rifle can be replace, but she can not be.

Roger that...!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:47:04 PM EDT
AAAHHH I see, She's monitoring this tread.
NA just kiddin man.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2002 3:34:46 PM EDT by M4-AK]
Pied Piper version of his STORY
...or do you believe this fairy tale?

A Man drives his wife out in the woods to hunt rats with his BB gun. His forever unappreciated wife tags along, because she loves him. She plays beautiful music through her $1500.00 Flute and attracts lots of rats; closely enough for the husband to easily shoot them.

Noticing the wonderful husband, needs another beer, she lays her flute against the truck and lovingly fetches another beer for him. She warmly delivers his beer and tells him it's the last one.

Hearing that it's the last beer, he quickly heads for the truck and drives back to the nearest quickie mart to get more of his prescious beer and in doing so runs over and destroys her $1500.00 flute.

Is it his fault? This is what he says...

Honey, why in the hell did you lay your damned $1500.00 flute against the truck?

Am I expected to check around the blasted truck every time I take you somewhere? How am I supposted to know you're stupid enough to lay it against the truck. Are you some kind of child? Why didn't you put it someplace safe and out of the way. Next time, don't lay your damned toys against the truck!

>>>Now who's fault is it really?<<<<<

Give me a break!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:04:25 PM EDT
How about THIS version?

The ONLY part of this weapon which makes it more valuable than a new post ban is...missing.

A skeptic might wonder a) whether the preban reciever EVER existed AND b) whether it is safe somewhere, waiting for its new sibling to show up.

Trust me, I used to work for an insurance company, they are skeptics. If the adjustor knows a preban from a postban, or balks at the price you quote, this will NOT FLY.

Don't tell me the phone call confirming it is a covered loss means it will fly. Most disputes with insurance companies don't involve WHETHER something is covered, they involve HOW MUCH you will be reimbursed.

When you say you want $1200 for something they think you can get for $750, YOU will have to explain the whole preban/postban deal so they understand it or you won't get the money.

You don't think it will occur to them to want proof the rifle is "destroyed?"

Ever have an adjuster come photograph damage after an accident? And approve the repair bill before paying it?

Same deal here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:53:22 PM EDT
Come on, you guys sound like you don't believe the story. He said it was on a packed dirt road and there was a loud SNAP as the truck rolled over the rifle. So the rubber truck tires rolling over the rifle must've pulverized the alloy lower receiver to such an extent that the pieces couldn't be found.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:34:49 PM EDT
If you want a replacement, I suggest a Cavalry Arms CAV-15 lower, da plastic AR. They were just reviewed in Guns & Weopons for Law Enformement. Why, the warrenty. If it breaks, it will be replaced free of charge (if you're the original owner and have proof of purchase.) I'm not kidding. That's what Garryowen posted way back when..... even if it's run over by you!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:06:46 PM EDT
Hello GradelGrad87,
I understand where you are coming from, thought of that before I send out the claim. I enclose the paperwork from the factory to when it was made and a letter from the seller that it was a pre-ban when he got it. And I still have the damage receiver to show it. I have sent out the upper to see if the barrel is any good. Have not heard back from my friend that took it to his gunsmith in Va.
And to the other people trying to figure out who's at fault, no one is at fault.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:42:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:
Why did you take a preban out popping rats?

Kharn

so what, i blasted a skunk with my preban last weekend. not it my yard either, it was in a ditch on a dirt road.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:01:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jetlag:
Hey, lucky you didn't tie your dog up to the truck!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:19:40 PM EDT
Bobthenailer, Redleg155 - Again, again, again you don't want another "pre" out of circulation. I view these as mor than "toys" or "hobbies". I know that you can get a post lower and a pre configured upper and have the same thing, but it's nice not to be having to look over your shoulder since you're breaking a (stupid) law. Point is that we - as citizens - need to keep as many prebans in circulation as possible.

THAT'S the point.

Tate

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:01:45 PM EDT
Tate, I understand where you are coming from. I am going up to Cumberland again this weekend to look for other parts that is still missing. Not just the serial number is missing but a few other parts are too. So I will be looking next afternoon after I get of work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:39:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:22:43 PM EDT
Not to sound skeptical, but this sounds like another thread where a guy LENT a preban to his buddy, who had it strapped across his back, flipped th 4 wheeler, and destroyed the rifle (without getting paraylised!!) and couldn't find the serial number portion of the magwell.

Hmmm.....
Not being skeptical....
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:22:24 PM EDT
gnfiter is right! a good woman is a hell of a lot harder to replace than any AR! And shes not the one who left it proped against the truck! Seems like it takes two to tango! sorry to hear about your bad luck though. bob cole
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:29:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
Not to sound skeptical, but this sounds like another thread where a guy LENT a preban to his buddy, who had it strapped across his back, flipped th 4 wheeler, and destroyed the rifle (without getting paraylised!!) and couldn't find the serial number portion of the magwell.

Hmmm.....
Not being skeptical....

Exactly!

hmmmm...what's that smell, let me get my boots.
Yup BS piled REAL HIGH!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:30:59 PM EDT
le6920 you got a lot of gas going on there! take some malox and chill, some of the most bizzare things in life seam so strange,and most often the truth is stranger than fiction! Whats this guy got to gain by inssurance fraud? Hes allready got a neglagent driver,rats ,and a busted rifle! Maybe if you are an LE (LEO) mayby you allready see too much corruption and think every body is corrupt! need a little VAC, Just give the guy some slack and maybe all is as it seams....bob cole
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top